Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike parking in town

Options
  • 05-11-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

So one of the few relatively safe and convenient places to park your bike in town was right in front of the Garda station outside Busaras. Very handy if you are getting a bus out the country and fairly safe too. Of course they have had a lovely redesign of the area. It looks marginally better and of course they got rid of all the nasty looking bike racks!
    Who is responsible for this?
    Who should i be complaining to?
    Should i contact either of the DCC's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That was a really useful spot alright. DCC's collective ass should be hauled over the coals for this.
    Harpz wrote: »
    So one of the few relatively safe and convenient places to park your bike in town was right in front of the Garda station outside Busaras. Very handy if you are getting a bus out the country and fairly safe too. Of course they have had a lovely redesign of the area. It looks marginally better and of course they got rid of all the nasty looking bike racks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Harpz wrote: »
    You could try the Road Maintenance main office at 222-2552. Or the Road Maintenance and Footpath Repairs department - North Central is Dympna McCann at 839-8311.

As is normal when contacting a local authority you'll probably get bounced around a bit before the "right person" is found.

Mmm, in the Getting Around page there is no mention of bicycles (or pedestrians).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

in fairness to dublin city council, we requested a couple of bike racks outside our office in dublin 8 so that we could park them up safely during the day. 2 weeks later they spent and afternoon with a jackhammer and some concrete and we had 2 lovely tubular steel racks cemented to the ground. 3 days later some scobe took the front wheel off my mountain bike while i sat in a meeting 20 feet away. there's nowhere safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

3 days later some scobe took the front wheel off my mountain bike while i sat in a meeting 20 feet away. there's nowhere safe!
    Was the wheel locked to the frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

daymobrew wrote: »
    Was the wheel locked to the frame?

i'll give you two guesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

in fairness to dublin city council, we requested a couple of bike racks outside our office in dublin 8 so that we could park them up safely during the day. 2 weeks later they spent and afternoon with a jackhammer and some concrete and we had 2 lovely tubular steel racks cemented to the ground. 3 days later some scobe took the front wheel off my mountain bike while i sat in a meeting 20 feet away. there's nowhere safe!
    i feel your pain.
    vowed never to leave bike out on the street, but had a meeting late last night and was afraid my usual safe-as-houses spot would be inaccessible by the time i got out. locked the bike to a pole for 45 minutes (from 22.00-22.45), sat in a hotel not 10 feet away, and everything that wasn't nailed down (front wheel, saddle bag and pump) was all whisked away.
    garda in pearse street reckons that there is nowhere in town safe enough to leave a bike. he's prob right; i should have taken my own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Thanks daymobrew, ill get onto them and see what happens.
    Its true that nowhere is completely safe...and a nice bike will get robbed from wherever its locked. Its about minimising the risk and making it hards for the scumbags to steal the bikes. Thats why using two different types of lock is effective, both can be broken but its slightly more hassle for the scumbags to break both and hopefully they wont bother( although they'll probably rob the bike next to it with only one lock).
    Anyway the point im making is that while this parking spot was convenient it was also right outside the front door of the garda station which is at least a deterrent.

Advertisement