Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Binman arrives in the city!

• 05-11-2007 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

and he is spamming housholders with free bin collection for rest of the year!

Actually having just done the maths, I'll be no better off using Mr Binman but for some it may work out.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote: »
    and he is spamming housholders with free bin collection for rest of the year!

Actually having just done the maths, I'll be no better off using Mr Binman but for some it may work out.

Mike.

What's the story with these guys Mike? I thought I received it in error and that it was aimed at the County. Do you still have to pay the standing charge to the Corpo?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No annual charge to the City "just" 340 to Mr Binman. Which means that until the current annual charge period lapses people might be slow to sign up. Bad timing from Mr Binman I think.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Bad timing indeed.
    I just heard on WLR that they don't even have a permit to work in the City area yet.

As for the numbers, if you do not need your bin collected more often than what the CC are doing ( 1 bin per week ), then even taking the annual charge into account, you won't save much.
    However, large famailies who would fill up bins more often ( esp. the grey bin ) would be able to take advantage of the more regular collections without it costing too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah it works out well for us. I'm in the ardkeen , are you saying they do not have a licence to collect bins here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

No annual charge to the City "just" 340 to Mr Binman. Which means that until the current annual charge period lapses people might be slow to sign up. Bad timing from Mr Binman I think.

Mike.

Indeed. Coupled with the licence issue it sounds a better idea to hold off as you suggest. Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Naive as I may be for perhaps not reading up on it properly, last week I signed up to MrBinman through their website. They're offering free collections until the end of the year. That, together with the weekly collection of the grey bin and the hassle-free tagless system, made me decide to go for it.

Seemed like a good idea at the time. But that said, almost a week's passed since I registered my details online, and I'm still awaiting receipt of my doing so. No letter, no email, no phone call. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not a great start, but maybe they are swamped? Try calling them - espically if you gave your credit card details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Council have been handing out letters to households today stating he doesn't have a licence to collect for waterford city, only waterford county. Anyone know if he does or not? Not that I'll be changing over anyway,the current scheme suits me better, am just curious?

echosound wrote: »
    Council have been handing out letters to households today stating he doesn't have a licence to collect for waterford city, only waterford county. Anyone know if he does or not? Not that I'll be changing over anyway,the current scheme suits me better, am just curious?

Perhaps I've not lived here long enough to make correct judgment, but surely as the city of Waterford is within the county of Waterford, then a license for Waterford county would cover everywhere within the county - including the city. :confused:

• Advertisement

They are two seperate entities in terms of local governance.

Mike.

They are two seperate entities in terms of local governance.

Mike.

Ah, I see. :o

We tolerate our country bumkin cousins! :D (and they pay a fortune for waste disposal by the county council)

Mike.

Just got that council letter, its a bit odd in that as Mr Binman has no permit to operate then why does a large part of the letter take adopt a defensive tone? Does anyone know the proceedure to enter a "market" thats controlled 100% by the council?

Council letter

Mike

Just got that council letter, its a bit odd in that as Mr Binman has no permit to operate then why does a large part of the letter take adopt a defensive tone? Does anyone know the proceedure to enter a "market" thats controlled 100% by the council?

Council letter

Mike

That makes for interesting reading, thanks Mike. Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the Waterford City Council service charge of €140 can be paid monthly?

I was surprised to have a visit on Sunday just gone, from a courier sent by MrBinman, delivering my new bin stickers, recycling bags, collection calendar and other such welcoming goodies. All I have to do now is make the phone call (and make a payment), and my collections will start - according to the welcome pack. Only thing is, I'm a bit scared to do this in case I'm sent to prison. Oh, what to do? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

benifa wrote: »
    Only thing is, I'm a bit scared to do this in case I'm sent to prison. Oh, what to do? :confused:

Prison??? PRISON??? By Jove, hanging's too good for you!!!!

Well the article suggests it'll be 12 weeks before they can get going unless the court injunction they threaten works. Its a mess. I'm surprised you put your faith in a service not yet running tbh.

Mike.

That's exactly it - I'm sceptical about going with them and paying anything whilst it's all up in the air like this. Meanwhile, my house stinks. You know, I think I'll pay Waterford City Council their €140 pro-rata until the end of the year (it'll only be about €20 or there abouts). Then, come January, see what's the score then. Bit sneaky of Kilkenny County Council isn't it, if what MrBinman are claiming is true?..

• Advertisement

Looks like Mr Binman are subcontracting to a third party company who already have a permit for Waterford City, pending acquisition of their own permit. Smart move I think. Anyway, I rang them up on Friday to ask what they say about the fiasco. The girl on the phone told me, and I quote, "don't worry about a thing. The council are basically trying to say we don't have a permit when we do. We started collections last week".

So my collections began last Thursday..

Really impressed. Having recently moved from an apartment to a house, I've no basis for comparison, but Mr Binman seem absolutely fine to me. They were only scheduled to collect the grey and green bin, but to my pleasant surprise I came home to find that they'd pulled out my brown bin and emptied that too! Talk about going the extra mile. (sorry, but I get excited about simple things). Anyway, I'm recommending them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Bit sneaky of Kilkenny County Council isn't it, if what MrBinman are claiming is true?..

I must have missed that, what did he claim kilkenny county council did?

ztoical wrote: »
    I must have missed that, what did he claim kilkenny county council did?

Apparently, Mr Binman applied 18 months ago for a permit to operate in Waterford City, but they didn't receive a response until they started canvassing new customers here. “We were told that we will have to re-apply and we see this as a stalling tactic and not great business practice,” Mr. Binman’s General Manager, Joe Cleary said (allegedly).

From http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story/?trs=cwqlcwgbsn&cat=news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I recently moved to waterford and could not believe the procedure for bins- every 3rd week and you had to out and buy bin tag. to attach to your bin.

I signed up to Mr Binman, had my first collection this week - caused some confusion in the estate as the neighbours were all panicky they had missed bin day, remember its 3 weeks between collections.:D

Great Service - they treat you like a customer not an inconvenience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Friend beside me said the council sent them a letter advising not to go with Mr. Binman, so they didnt.. Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Apparently, Mr Binman applied 18 months ago for a permit to operate in Waterford City, but they didn't receive a response until they started canvassing new customers here. “We were told that we will have to re-apply and we see this as a stalling tactic and not great business practice,” Mr. Binman’s General Manager, Joe Cleary said (allegedly).

From http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story/?trs=cwqlcwgbsn&cat=news

o right so you meant waterford not kilkenny

ztoical wrote: »
    o right so you meant waterford not kilkenny

No mate, Kilkenny.

"..Kilkenny Co. Council is the authority in the South East heading up the waste strategy programme and, in consultation with other local authorities in the region, is responsible for granting or refusing permits.

And that’s the problem yet to be resolved. Eighteen months ago, Mr. Binman, which charges a flat annual fee of €340 annually for the weekly collection, applied for a permit to operate the service.

Mr. Binman’s General Manager, Joe Cleary claims that they received no response until a week ago when they canvassed new customers in the city. “We were told that we will have to re-apply and we see this as a stalling tactic and not great business practice,” he said."

From: http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story/?trs=cwqlcwgbsn&cat=news

Someone at the top of my road has a black sack with a tag on it when I went past this morning so I guess he's signed up.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

they came too early today, called them up , they will come around tomorrow- great service

Advertisement