Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to help me write a book?

• 05-11-2007 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

OK :)

so i have decided to write a book.

yep. its a big undertaking. its going to take me lots of time. i have many ideas.

have i ever written before. hell no! but im still going to try.

but, im actually looking for some help. Ive decided to write a good old fashioned fantasy novel.

so if anyone is actually interested in contributing, helping me get my **** together, discussing plots and characters, or even just wants to come along for the ride, then pm me.

i have got a private hosted forum for it, so let me know if youre interested, why youre interested, and i can add you in. ive made it private for a couple of reasons. 1 is i actually want to get published, and obviously i dont want to have my story all over the interweb! secondly, i really dont want the usual drunken **** spouted over by people i know nothing about.

sorry mods of this forum if im stepping on your toes by the way. i was originally going to get it hung of this forum, but figured a hosted one was probably better.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Base it on a mixture of the malazan series and the Prince of nothing series and I will buy your book.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Base it on a mixture of the malazan series and the Prince of nothing series and I will buy your book.

I would happily fellate a book like that. And buy it dinner, too.

Carry on, and good luck to you WWMan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

you old romantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

everything is good :)

now i just have to write the damn thing!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

it is quite an undetaking,
    I have been writing for years and while I know it is what I was born to do I have yet to send one of them off to the publisher.
    I had an interest in one of my sci-fi fantasy books but I put it aside for a more serious non-fiction book

I wish you much luck, of all the people here I am certain you will put out (as well as MAJD) a much enjoyed novel.
    I bet she can help you write a bestseller with what I have seen of her writing and know of her background ;)

If ever I can offer assitance send me a pm,

it's been ages since Ive heard what the two of you are up too Id love to catch up sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

I would be interested in lending a hand, just pm or email me with more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

No, just get on with it and write your book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

but, im actually looking for some help. Ive decided to write a good old fashioned fantasy novel.
    First, go read 'How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy" by Orson Scott Card (1990). If you can't get a copy (I think it's out of print) then I'll sell you on my (unread!) copy for a modest fee *g*

Secondly, don't put any unpublished material on the Interweb, even if it is your ''buddies" who will be reading it. It's a legal minefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'd have to agree with DW regarding putting any of the stuff online, it can bring legal difficulties, not least with certain publishers who insist that the material has NEVER been published in any form, anywhere else.

That said, good luck! I've been writing for years and love it :) I'd like access and will pop in on occassion. If I can help, then I will but with MAJD beside you why would you need anyone else's help? :p

the one thing i am not putting up on the web is any parts of the book.
    i have no issue with working on characters and plot lines and all things background, but as for actual prose, nope. nada.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭smirkingmaurice

I've been writing for years, mainly during the winter strangely enough, and it may sound paltry but before you ever put pen to paper for a night have yourself a few hot currant scones freshly warmed and dripping with butter complimented with a strong tea, believe me, sustenance for a masterpiece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭smirkingmaurice

As only this winter could know, as the north wind whispered the approach of some snow, radio static tells the news of a foe, rigid to the turret the young soldier did go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnwrites

i have got a private hosted forum for it,QUOTE]

How does one get a private forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Just out of interest here WWM, but do you have a routine or are you basically typing/scribbling as and when you get time/inspiration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dj_quinn

Try joining a writer's group. You can flesh out your characters and plot with other writers at the meetings. People write differently, but most successful writers I know focus on developing the characters and then they say they let the plot work itself out. Then again, I've never written a novel, just short stories. I'm ready to start one however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi WWW

Personally I would advice a set time of day, as suggested by smashey, I wrote a book (not published and in need of serious rework but about 60,000 words so it is there), and what worked for me was a set time everyday, now I have gone onto study english via academia, but I still have a routine, and mine is early in the morning (its my peak time) but basically when you find your niche time, you'll find you will write **** loads, but I also know the crippling fear one experiences, basically can one write something that another person wants to read, and personally in my opinion that feeling is magnified when one is writing their own work, I've learned that I can write but fear holds me back, so I would say find your niche time, and write the damn thing, switch of your mental editor (if you can I know its hard) but if you can, let your heart speak, a reader always knows when the heart is put into the text, even if they cannot articulate it, they can feel it. Personally I believe all the great books have heart/ passion in them, so let it rip. Best of luck and if you wish to pm please do, I will try to help in any way I can.

cheers all.

I dont really have the time to dedicate to this every day. as it is, for the last 2 months Ive done nothing at all. but then again, I am changing job, having christmas, and buying a house, so im pretty busy, and its low on the priority scale right now. :)

fwiw, ive actually decided to change some things on the forum. Imthinking of opening it up to anyone that is writing. I dont want it to be another creative writing forum though. theres no point in that. it will remain a private forum, more a sort of book club type affair. may do that, may not, but would be interested in seeing how something like that may go.

also had an idea whereby you get 5-10 people interested in writing short stories. every month you give them a plot line and some character names, and see what comes out the other end from 5-10 different people.
    Sort of along the lines of what stephen king did with Desperation and er, the other book he did at the same time as Bachman.
    i think personally that would be really cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

also had an idea whereby you get 5-10 people interested in writing short stories. every month you give them a plot line and some character names, and see what comes out the other end from 5-10 different people.
    Sort of along the lines of what stephen king did with Desperation and er, the other book he did at the same time as Bachman.
    i think personally that would be really ]
    Hi I would be interested in this and contributing work towards it, often a collective piece of work can be a good thing, because one is exposed to very different viewpoints, so please add me to it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You know what? I'd have a go at this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

smashey wrote: »
    You know what? I'd have a go at this.
    +1
    This common character short story idea intrigues me. :)

I started a book late last year, after ages putting it off. I have lots of ideas and 5 cracking pages so far! Have written a few feature scripts too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

First, go read 'How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy" by Orson Scott Card (1990). If you can't get a copy (I think it's out of print) then I'll sell you on my (unread!) copy for a modest fee *g*

Never ever use a how to to write a novel. Originality is the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dylan1969

BEAT wrote: »
    it is quite an undetaking,
    I have been writing for years and while I know it is what I was born to do I have yet to send one of them off to the publisher.
    I had an interest in one of my sci-fi fantasy books but I put it aside for a more serious non-fiction book

I wish you much luck, of all the people here I am certain you will put out (as well as MAJD) a much enjoyed novel.
    I bet she can help you write a bestseller with what I have seen of her writing and know of her background ;)

If ever I can offer assitance send me a pm,

it's been ages since Ive heard what the two of you are up too Id love to catch up sometime.

Hey Beat, Are you into the generation??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Frilly Keane

cheers all.

I dont really have the time to dedicate to this every day. as it is, for the last 2 months Ive done nothing at all. but then again, I am changing job, having christmas, and buying a house, so im pretty busy, and its low on the priority scale right now. :)

fwiw, ive actually decided to change some things on the forum. Imthinking of opening it up to anyone that is writing. I dont want it to be another creative writing forum though. theres no point in that. it will remain a private forum, more a sort of book club type affair. may do that, may not, but would be interested in seeing how something like that may go.

Sorry for butting into this so late; but is this idea (or ideal) still on the cards?

If so, Can I be dealt in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ye, I wantz to be doing dis too!

/bebo

Yes, I too would like to partake in this experiment! WWM, do you want to give us the key words, plot line and character names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

I'll have a chat with my champions group

but how will I maintain an internet presence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

yep. its a big undertaking. its going to take me lots of time. i have many ideas.

so if anyone is actually interested in contributing, helping me get my **** together, discussing plots and characters, or even just wants to come along for the ride, then pm me.

i have got a private hosted forum for it, so let me know if youre interested, why youre interested, and i can add you in. ive made it private for a couple of reasons. 1 is i actually want to get published, and obviously i dont want to have my story all over the interweb! secondly, i really dont want the usual drunken **** spouted over by people i know nothing about.

sorry mods of this forum if im stepping on your toes by the way. i was originally going to get it hung of this forum, but figured a hosted one was probably better.
    In case you don't know already, there's a very good lecture recorded at M.I.T. on how to write fantasy... It was certainly enlightening, especially if you want to start writing fantasy.

Also, I'd be happy to lend a hand with your book. I've never written anything high-fantasy, but I have written a number of "light" fantasy short stories, which have been published in international and college journals.

You should know that getting published in fantasy, despite the success of works like The Lord of the Rings, is very, very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jvposter

Hello!

After you finish the story you must read some specialty books about font size dimension if you want to be i scientific style if you not choose a publisher and happy editing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 smithrdn

Pls PM me the details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seopositive2

I also search on google and give me your post link so it is nice way to writing book i also follow this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mafiadaga

I'd be interested in writing with you.. I'm always writing, writing a fiction novel at the moment and i have links to proof readers, and all contacts, excet publishers but everyone else i have a link to..

let me know if you need an inspiration...

me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paoloiaquinta

was at a book club meeting in phibsboro library and they had a local guy who just wrote and printed his own book. he was giving advice based on his own experience of having done it once.
    he was saying not to put too stringent a structure on your self e.g. must write 1000 words a day etc etc. somedays you might not be able to write 50.
    the best thing he said was it was easy to start a book but you have to be able to finish it. sometimes it comes down to applying yourself to the task instead of thinking about it all the time. his book was "boys in the river" - a bit like "paddy clarke ha ha ha". the book club also recommended having a particular place to write rather than in different places.

he was saying not to put too stringent a structure on your self e.g. must write 1000 words a day etc etc. somedays you might not be able to write 50.
    This really depends on the person. I'm a great believer in the old adage that if you write a page a day, you'll have wrote a book in a year.
    the book club also recommended having a particular place to write rather than in different places.
    Writers are notoriously superstitious about where they write, favourite pens and even typewriters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dan1985

i would be happy to try and help if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mafiadaga

Who's up for writing a book together??

a short one and trying self publishing????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 afaphoenix

Hi you have probably finished your book by now. if so, are you happy with publication and if not, i am intested in working with you
    A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Been reading in here for a while but this is my first post.
    Always wanted to write but never applied myself.
    Maybe i would be good, maybe not but i think i am ready to try.

An old aquaintance of mine has now published two books available on amazon which has impressed me greatly.

Really like whitewashman's idea for short story writing.

So do we have a few people still interested?

Maybe we could do one soon?

As a complete novice i would love the honest feedback and the reading of other peoples work.

Regardless i wish the op every success in writing that book.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm writing one also - I've a 5 page plot wrote up, along with character development. Going to get cracking into it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

I'm also writing a book. Have a general basic plot and an idea of the characters. Still hoping that the finer details will all fit together as I write. I've always have a very loose style of writing with no major plan. My way is to write lots and then cut out the boring/bad bits... Hope it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I don't think I would have the confidence to write a full lenght novel until I at least win some short story competitions first.

I have entered one recently But won't get the results until early next year:D

I am keeping my fingers crossed and might consider entering a few more. The more I enter. The more feedback I will get I suppose.

Thoughts?

Grievous wrote: »
    I have entered one recently But won't get the results until early next year:D
    Thoughts?
    RTE's Francis McManus by any chance?

Don't be disappointed if you hear nothing back. Although it's an all comers competition, it's usually established writers that win.

Dont' get hung up on the 'competition' thing, get hung up on the 'publication' thing. There's hundreds of magazines that need to fill column inches with short-fiction.

There's no better buzz for a writer than seeing your work published; competitions are transitory in nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

RTE's Francis McManus by any chance?

Don't be disappointed if you hear nothing back. Although it's an all comers competition, it's usually established writers that win.

Dont' get hung up on the 'competition' thing, get hung up on the 'publication' thing. There's hundreds of magazines that need to fill column inches with short-fiction.

There's no better buzz for a writer than seeing your work published; competitions are transitory in nature.

Hey.

No, it's the Fish publishing comp.

It's honestly not about winning or competing for me. It's a validation thing, I am sure others can relate.

My logic. If I at least win one competition in my lifetime. This will encourage me work on bigger projects like novels and movies.

The important thing is that I write because I love to write and it's a great way to pass the time.

Can you kindly link me up to any writer groups or magazines that accept submissions of short stories that are published regularly in ireland?

Thanks for all your Help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I know this great blog about a writer for NaNoWriMo - he tells you about the journey of writing a book in 30 days. It's really good. Here it is. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pixiegaga

wow, this is so cool of you..I'm 16 and at the stage of looking at possible career options and I recently decided if it all dosnt work out I'll write a book/novel (my back up plan basically) as I read more than I breath and apparently I'm gifted at english!!

good luck with your book, I'll buy it if its published just pm:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is this project still ongoing WWM?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Unsticking this.

Advertisement