Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for Gardai with previous conviction?

• 05-11-2007 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42

A friend of mine wishes to apply to join the Gardai and I personally feel that he is definately suited to the position. He does however have an old conviction from years back for possession of cannabis from his errant uni days.

Is he therefore wasting both his and police time??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it an actual conviction or a warning/fine?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

alan767 wrote: »
    A friend of mine wishes to apply to join the Gardai and I personally feel that he is definately suited to the position. He does however have an old conviction from years back for possession of cannabis from his errant uni days.

Thanks in advance.

I firmly believe that there is no such thing as wasting police time. I've no idea how they would look at his previous conviction though.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Thanks in advance.

The conviction might stand depending on the status of the place the conviction was stored e.g., pulse etc. If its that old then the matter is likely to pass. My understanding is that in the interview process the Gardai flush out many of these issues and it would be folly to expect that this shouldn't not arise.

Tom

PS: I agree with Johnny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 alan767

seamus wrote: »

Cheers for the input gents.

I've just spoken with him and it was a fine apparently..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yes. If he was convicted and fined for possession of cannabis then he will fail the initial vetting process.

• Advertisement

Thats what I suspected. Thanks again folks.

seamus wrote: »

Is there a difference?

He's not certain tbh

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If he was fined, he was convicted.

If he's honest about it in the initial process, they might overlook it, but it just comes down to luck really.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

if you do not get a fine is it definitly not a conviction???

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

big syke wrote: »
    if you do not get a fine is it definitly not a conviction???

No. You can be convicted and imprisoned, convicted and given a suspended sentence, or you can be convicted and simply not punished (but that is very rare).

You can also be bound to the peace, and depending on how it's done, you might or might not have a conviction as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

ah i see.. and is it communicated it to you if you get a conviction?

big syke wrote: »
    ah i see.. and is it communicated it to you if you get a conviction?

Yes, usually a somber man or woman in a silly costume sitting on a high chair tells you all about it.

Advertisement