Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda RX-8 Good deal?

Options
  • 05-11-2007 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Girlfriend put a deposit on one on Saturday. It's a 2004, 192bhp model. She's getting it for €24,000. It was €26,000, but she got them to give her €2,000 for her '96 Polo. Is this a good deal? Are these cars much cheaper up north?
    Thanks for replies

edit: this includes a full 1-year warranty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

roughan wrote: »

Judging by the reg this one looks like a UK Import, not that theres anything wrong with that tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I bought an 04 reg 231BHP with 13k (miles), full leather and a sunroof for 24k from a Mazda garage just last week. I think your girlfriend is paying over the odds mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Girlfriend put a deposit on one on Saturday. It's a 2004, 192bhp model. She's getting it for €24,000. It was €26,000, but she got them to give her €2,000 for her '96 Polo. Is this a good deal? Are these cars much cheaper up north?
    Thanks for replies

edit: this includes a full 1-year warranty

Well firstly you dont state whether it has leather or not? (the red & black leather is the most sought after one)

the 192 model is pants! (should have gone for the 231, same engine more power , more std features including Xenon lights etc)

You can get a much cheaper price in the UK if youre that way inclined. (and probably a better example too)

Overall , as the other posters are suggesting - it seems like a pretty sh!te deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

No leather interior. However, she is pretty adamant it must be black, and most of the ones for sale seem to be either silver or grey. With that rotary engine, would a private sale not be a bad idea, no warranty and all that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Yeah...231BHP model is what your gf wants. Will be more sought after later.

Be aware though that either model will be worth beans in another 2 years time...

Nice cars though!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

C_Breeze wrote: »
    ...the 192 model is pants!...

I see :rolleyes:

I see :rolleyes:

Good for you. whats with the rolleyeys?

TBH it's her choice to get the 192 or the 231. The 192 will not be as crazy on petrol and just as pretty. If she wants the 192, let her got for it. According to one dealer they'd sell about 10 of these to every hi power they'd sell, so they must be popular.

However she's paying well over the odds. If she goes to England she'll have no problem getting a black one and if you're worried about it being a private sale have an RAC check done (as well as the HPI). Slight tangent but the AA in Ireland won't inspect a Rex because they don't know enough about the engine (which would make me very wary of buying private in Ireland)

The car is stunning to look at and an absolute hoot to drive. Make sure she's not afriad to beep it, it's good for the engine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

CarLover wrote: »
    Be aware though that either model will be worth beans in another 2 years time...

Is depreciation really that steep? Since no one ever has a bad word to say about them, I figured residuals would be pretty strong....

• Advertisement

TBH it's her choice to get the 192 or the 231. The 192 will not be as crazy on petrol and just as pretty. If she wants the 192, let her got for it. According to one dealer they'd sell about 10 of these to every hi power they'd sell, so they must be popular.

However she's paying well over the odds. If she goes to England she'll have no problem getting a black one and if you're worried about it being a private sale have an RAC check done (as well as the HPI). Slight tangent but the AA in Ireland won't inspect a Rex because they don't know enough about the engine (which would make me very wary of buying private in Ireland)

The car is stunning to look at and an absolute hoot to drive. Make sure she's not afriad to beep it, it's good for the engine ;)

the petrol consumption between the 192 & 231 is minimal .. lets face it petrol obviosuly wont be of major concern if she is considering an RX-8. The 231 also revs a lot higher (which is pretty much the point of the wankel engine) , has aluminium pedals which look a lot nicer, Xenon lights that look more modern, headlight washers ... and also cant forget the 6 gears and 40 BHP extra from the same engine!!

So its pretty logical which is the better buy!

Why somebody wold bother with the 192 is beyond me . 2.6 liter tax . 1.8 power and 3.0 petrol consumption - makes sense ?? no ! .. but if its a girl and all shes worried about is image the so be it.

Same story with celica 140 & 190

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Good for you. whats with the rolleyeys?

The 192bhp RX-8 is still a fine car. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought these were taxed at 1800cc rates?

Where does the 2.6 litre car tax come from? :confused:

I thought it was (unfairly) treated as a 1.8?

Stephen wrote: »
    I thought these were taxed at 1800cc rates?

they are taxed as 1.8 - insured as 2.6/2.7

Henry ford. See numerous resons ive outlined regarding 192 v 231

Don't get me wrong, I share your logic (hense going for the 231 myself) but if she so chooses to save money by buying a 192 over a 231 in inital outlay as well as petrol (according to threads I've read in the Rx8OC there can be quite a few miles to a tank in the different, but some of that would be down to how it's driven I grant you) it's no need to slate the girl's choice. I mean at least it's not a Hyundai Coupe :D

they are taxed as 1.8 - insured as 2.6/2.7

Henry ford. See numerous resons ive outlined regarding 192 v 231

I see them. I'm sure the higher power one is a more desirable car. The 192bhp is not "pants" however.

The "insured as 2.6/2.7" has been trotted out before. It's incorrect. The car is insured as a 1.3 with up to 231bhp, because that's exactly what it is.

I see them. I'm sure the higher power one is a more desirable car. The 192bhp is not "pants" however.

The "insured as 2.6/2.7" has been trotted out before. It's incorrect. The car is insured as a 1.3 with up to 231bhp, because that's exactly what it is.

HenryFord, why must you go through this again.

Why cant you just accept that it is taxed as a 1.8 and insured as a 2.7 !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055153682&highlight=rx8

Look at Quinn and Hibernian and they both insure it as a 2.7 - whether this is correct or not is a topic for a different discussion.

...if you want to be super precise its actually a 2x654cc

- and yes the 192 is "pants"

I'm like a dog with a bone C_Breeze :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

the 231's are only avaialble on special order now in ireland, ie you go into your dealer, tell him/her you want one, and he/she will order it from Mazda and it will take several weeks for delivery.

the used 192's do sell better then then used 231's but i wouldnt say there is a drastic difference in sales imo.

the engines are exactly the same, just differently managed.

• Advertisement

Táck wrote: »
    the 231's are only avaialble on special order now in ireland, ie you go into your dealer, tell him/her you want one, and he/she will order it from Mazda and it will take several weeks for delivery.

So youre saying the 231 is only available to buy by ordering from the dealer or by buying one second hand!?

Eh right that doesnt make a whole lot of sense, why what was the case beforehand?? what other otpions are there besides ordering new and buying second hand?

I was under the impression the 231 is going to be totally discontinued in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think €24k for a 04 RX-8 192bhp is expensive. They are basically allowing you nothing for the Polo as a trade-in.

Sell the Polo privately and see what straight cash price they are willing to accept on the RX-8.

OP, see these

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=749466

...and that the 231 hi power model with leather!

If she's really not fussed about the hi power model and if it HAS to be Black, look at this beauty here >> http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=814477

Its black, its the same engine that is in the one she is buying and it also has red/black leather .... and price is cheaper even with her trade-in !

So youre saying the 231 is only available to buy by ordering from the dealer or by buying one second hand!?

Eh right that doesnt make a whole lot of sense, why what was the case beforehand?? what other otpions are there besides ordering new and buying second hand?

I was under the impression the 231 is going to be totally discontinued in ireland

no its not totally finished but its not going to be very readily avaialble. before, each dealer had their stock and if a customer wanted a colour their dealer didnt have, the dealer would swop with others. now, there will be none in the country so each one is specifically ordered in from mazda.

the other options after buying new or second hand...em...walking, cycling or public transport.

OP, see these

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=749466

...and that the 231 hi power model with leather!

If she's really not fussed about the hi power model and if it HAS to be Black, look at this beauty here >> http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=814477

Its black, its the same engine that is in the one she is buying and it also has red/black leather .... and price is cheaper even with her trade-in !

their both good prices!

Ah i see.

Yeah they are , Id be fairly tempted by the second one if it was a 231 model.

check is the 2nd one an import, its very high reg number and the mileage is quite strong on it. 31,500 in a just over a year...you better hope he was oiling that engine!!!

check is the 2nd one an import, its very high reg number and the mileage is quite strong on it. 31,500 in a just over a year...you better hope he was oiling that engine!!!

Yeah i'd say its most probably a UK import - not necessarily a bad thing tho ( i think its a bonus as UK owners tend to take better care of their cars as opposed to here). The oil problem is very overexagerrated imo (well from the owners ive heard from)

Its a much better choice than the deal the OP is getting anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Its an 05 , so its 2 yrs old or did I miss a year - have been out a lot lately!

• Advertisement

Yeah i'd say its most probably a UK import - not necessarily a bad thing tho ( i think its a bonus as UK owners tend to take better care of their cars as opposed to here). The oil problem is very overexagerrated imo (well from the owners ive heard from)

Its a much better choice than the deal the OP is getting anyway

have you enquired about this? is the price correct? the oil problem is over exagerrated yes you're right there BUT you must top it up and you must use the particular oil for that engine (semi synthetic me thinks) otherwise it wont be an over exagerrated problem, trust me! if u look after it, it will look after you.
    Its an 05 , so its 2 yrs old or did I miss a year - have been out a lot lately!

yes...yes you did

Advertisement