Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

corsa Question

Options
  • 05-11-2007 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

anybody have any mechanical experience of the corsa C ?

Ill be more specific, I think the timing chain is going, dounds a bit like a diesel on start up and goes away at higher speeds, with a bit of research Ive seen that premature chain problems has been a problem(49K on it!)

there was a recall of the vauxhall version supposedly seems this prob seems to be sorted by 05, was there ever a recall in Ireland? how much do they cost to get replaced? preferably opel dealer? it has a full service history s o dont really want to wreck it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

There was a recall for the Corsa C. Give your nearest Opel Dealers a call and ask them to check and see if there is any recalls for your car.

Also check that the oil is to the correct level and it has been serviced recently. The Timing Chain tensioner is tensioned by oil pressure and if the oil pressure goes low it causes the the chain to slacken. If this has happened you will need a new timing chain, tensioner and all timing chain guides.

It is not a too big of a job but not too small either but if the chain comes off your looking at a new engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

My mother has a Corsa C and I did the timing chain job on it about 3 months ago. Its fairly easy. Opel sell a kit, with some modified parts, but if the car is kept well serviced with good quality oil and regular changes there wont be a problem.

Your is noisey so just get the kit, most of it is actually not required, but it IS handy to have the little seals etc...

Ours blew its head gasket, unrelated, so i did the mod whilst I was at it.

I wouldn't say they are the easiest ever to work on, not like Opels of old, lots of Torx bits/socket everywhere !

The lack of good oil means the tensioner feed gets blocked as does the little feed on the very top of the timing chain guide !

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

thanks for the replys

did you get the kit from an opel dealer?
    round how much did it cost?..........I presume its much the same as doing a timing belt?

fecking cars got a full service........every 10000 miles so Ill blame opel..........serviced just 2000 miles ago
    but if there was a recall for this will I get it done free as it wasnt done during a service? I doubt it Id just like to know where I stand before I ring them

Advertisement