Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another new build!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks good to me. Yes, you would need 64 bit to see all of that ram (if you went 4gb). Definitely go for the 512mb GT, it's much better then the GTS despite the identical price. I would stick with the processor you've chosen if it's mainly for gaming, faster dual core better then a quad core at the moment for that purpose. Though to be honest, it's a case of fast vs faster. Quad Core gives you a higher degree of future proofing and with a good card will still handle any game with complete ease even at stock. So you certainly wouldn't be loosing out by going quad either.

Can't really comment on the speakers to be honest, having never really used any of Creatives, but I'm sure someone else can fill you in. I have an older 20" syncmaster and it is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

I have that motherboard. Its good, but u do need to download a few things for it for Vista - ie. the wireless yoke on it.

I also have that same monitor - tis savage!

i also have that sound card - really brings another dimension to games...its crazy

i would go for a bigger case tho - maybe a thermaltake..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm beginning to sway more towards quad core the more I read alright.
    I reckon that tower will definately be big enough for me though falcon.
    Think ill go with that MOBO, soundcard, monitor, dvd drive, HD and PSU. I may order them this evening.
    Still researching the GPU's out there.
    A little undecided (if i go 64bit) whether to switch to Vista or stick with XP?!? Apparently Vista would be the choice for directx 10, am i correct??

Fizman wrote: »
    I'm beginning to sway more towards quad core the more I read alright.
    I reckon that tower will definately be big enough for me though falcon.
    Think ill go with that MOBO, soundcard, monitor, dvd drive, HD and PSU. I may order them this evening.
    Still researching the GPU's out there.
    A little undecided (if i go 64bit) whether to switch to Vista or stick with XP?!? Apparently Vista would be the choice for directx 10, am i correct??

yup go for Vista 64bit. I've not had any problems with games at all on it, or anything

all works fine

and yea i have kind of the same setup as yourself but with a quad core, and even not overcloked its great like. i mean any game at full resolution and settings is flawless...

yup go for Vista 64bit. I've not had any problems with games at all on it, or anything

all works fine

and yea i have kind of the same setup as yourself but with a quad core, and even not overcloked its great like. i mean any game at full resolution and settings is flawless...

Falcon, what RAM have you got in your rig??
    And assuming you pieced it all together yourself, how easy/difficult was it? I ask you this only because this will be my first build. Only previous surgery i've done on pc's would be increasing RAM, installing IO ports, NIC's etc!! A little anxious when 2k of parts are looking at me asking me to put them together. :o

• Advertisement

Falcon, what RAM have you got in your rig??
    And assuming you pieced it all together yourself, how easy/difficult was it? I ask you this only because this will be my first build. Only previous surgery i've done on pc's would be increasing RAM, installing IO ports, NIC's etc!! A little anxious when 2k of parts are looking at me asking me to put them together. :o

heres my PC i got it about a month or two ago:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=522703&su=60254368-0031-4DE1-A296-9F8AF70CFC30

by the way you dont need to tool kit i got with it - lol i used one screw driver out of it

To be honest, I'v only ever had a laptop, and building a computer sounded like fun. I didnt ever see anyone make one or have a clue how to do it. It can sound scary but its really actually not that hard at all. Having said that I did need one of the lads on this forum to come over to the house to help me sort out one or two things with it, but that was just me being dumb

When I got all the parts in the post I had about 15 boxes looking at me, so I unwrapped everything and put it on my floor. Then it was like lego - i was just like...eh...this looks like it goes here and doesn't fit anywhere else...

When i had it all built i realised the manuals you get with your case and motherboard tell you exactly how to put everything together lol.

its well worth doing, but don't expect it to work straight away once u get it - there will be one or two things not work, but it just requires a bit of tinkering :)

Nice!!
    How do you find the mouse and keyboard (the illuminated one)? These are two things I haven't looked into much yet.
    I'm assuming the help you needed may have involved the setting up of the BIOS or hard drives??
    Is the tower not MASSIVE?? Looks more like a mainframe monster lol.

I see that your operating system isn't listed! Did you buy Vista 64 elsewhere?? (Pardon my nosiness lol)

Oh and just a question regarding purchasing it. I work for a small IT company. Would I possibly be better off ordering a new PC through who i work for (regarding the VAT situation)? I will also be using this rig for work too.

Nice!!
    How do you find the mouse and keyboard (the illuminated one)? These are two things I haven't looked into much yet.
    I'm assuming the help you needed may have involved the setting up of the BIOS or hard drives??
    Is the tower not MASSIVE?? Looks more like a mainframe monster lol.

I see that your operating system isn't listed! Did you buy Vista 64 elsewhere?? (Pardon my nosiness lol)

Oh and just a question regarding purchasing it. I work for a small IT company. Would I possibly be better off ordering a new PC through who i work for (regarding the VAT situation)? I will also be using this rig for work too.

yea the mouse is great. i always had sh1te mouses before hand so its like really really sensitive lol. good for gaming. keyboard is good, but i don't really like the layout of it - such as the ctrl, and alt keys aren't really placed correctly, and also the "/" is directly above the enter key which gets annoying. and the page up/down/end buttons are not placed nicely.

but hey...its looks cool. the whole freakin setup glows blue, and that alone is worth 2k lol

the tower really isn't massive at all. i like the size of it. to be honest, if it was any smaller it would have been a b1tch to work inside it - all the components fitted in nicely

yea i had problems installing vista, and putting the ram in (u can only put in 2gigs first before installing vista, then once its all installed u put in the other 2gig stick after downloading the patch from microsoft)

sorry didnt list vista there - got 64bit OEM vista off komplett too

and yea if you can buy it through your company then you can claim it back on tax - 21%. if its ur own company, that would be handy for you cuz that money is going straight back to u, but if you work for the company, they get the tax back...

Right so i've placed an order this evening (for most,not all) of the rig!
    I've gone for the same motherboard, PSU, hard drive, case and sound card that are in my original spec. Still doing a bit of research and undecided on my graphics card, monitor, keyboard and speakers, oh and operating system.

I went for the Q6600 instead of the dual core, and 4 gb OCZ RAM (https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339129).

I reckon i'll go, monitor wise, for the Samsung 22" SM226BW (https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331034), but may try to get that off the shelf as opposed to Kompletts apparent 'pick n mix' with the type of panel you may receive!

The speakers I am thinking of going for - Logitech X-540 Speakerset 5.1, 70W RMS
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327538

Still fairly undecided about my OS. I may stick with XP 32-bit for now, upgrading to 64-bit in the near future. Theres just something telling me not to go near Vista.

As for graphics card, I'm probably willing to spend between 350 - 400 here, so what do ye think?? 8800GTS maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just get XP 64-bit then, you'll need a 64bit OS to see the full 4gb, though even at addressing just over 3gb of ram you'll be fine with a temporary 32bit OS unless you're a real power user. Not terribly happy with Vista myself but it's OK. Would probably stick with XP myself for the time being as a personal preference.

Don't bother with the GTS, get the GT. Cheaper, faster. Makes sense. Though stocks are a problem right now. Cheapest one is about 216 euro on hardwareversand and even comes with Opposing Fronts (worth 30 quid, new release game) free.

Samsung is a great monitor, though not sure about the speakers, someone else will surely fill you in. Speakers are an area in which I'm literally clueless, having used the same speakers since late 2003. :o

• Advertisement

Cheers Havok. Think i'll go for the XFX 8800GT XXX, and probably order that monitor (it better be an 'S' panel :o). Will probably stick with XP, and those speakers look as if they will be fine!

So with all that got, do ya think i'll need any additional accessories, such as heatsinks/fans, cables, etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It would be worth buying a few spare SATA cables....if you bought OEM DVD/HD drives then you wont get a SATA cable with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

32bit XP ftw

Some people have no problems with vista but I did and I hated it, so im sticking with xp for as long as I can!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

It would be worth buying a few spare SATA cables....if you bought OEM DVD/HD drives then you wont get a SATA cable with it

Theres plenty of spares with that board and PSU.

Thanks lads, i think i'll wait and see how the initial build goes and then see if I need more gear.

I'll probably order the 8800GT xxx, SM226BW, and those speakers later or tomorrow, but all together with Komplett they come to 721 euros, whereas on hardwareversand they are 637 euros (both figures including delivery)!! :eek: Anyone have experience in dealing with this site (regarding delivery etc)?? Very tempted to order this off them later (although i've just noticed you need to set up prepayment).

Ok I've pretty much finished my ordering.

MOTHERBOARD - ABIT IN9 32X-MAX WiFi, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775,ATX,2xGbLAN,DDR2,2xPCI-Ex16
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329724

HARD DRIVE - Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327715

PSU - Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327672

PROCESSOR - Intel Quadcore Q6600

CASE - Gigabyte 3D Aurora GZ-FSCA1-AN Black Aluminium Body (Without PSU)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=311890

MONITOR - Samsung 22" SM226BW

MEMORY - OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, w/two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-15
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333974

The last hurdle I have (before building it) is to decide what operating system to go with. I've heard so much negative stuff about Vista that i've really been turned off it!

If I stick with XP (even 64-bit) will it bottleneck the performance of my processor and graphics card?? (I know it can only see 3.25 of my 4 gb RAM but i'm not overly concerned about that at the minute). After looking at Gamespots h/w testing on Crysis (intend getting it this week, and would really like it to run smooth :)) it appears XP is almost smoother at running it!!

What do ye reckon???

Advertisement