Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simpsons jokes you still don't understand?

• 05-11-2007 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Ever had a joke in the show that you guessed 'could' be funny, but just don't get it? Well here's the place to discuss it.

#1. In a recent episode Homer says that Ghostbusters is a remake of Hamlet. What's this all about? Help me Jebus!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sounds like lazy writing. I guess you could make a connection through the ghost of Hamlet's father but that's pretty weak. Probably more of a "Homer says something stupid" gag than anything.

There's one I always wonder about. It's when Bart's being home schooled and Marge has him read a book, Johnny Something (can't remember the name). Anyway, it's about a soldier in some war and he loses his arm or something so Bart says, "They should have called this book Johnny Deformed" and I just wonder does the title translate as something similar to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Oh i thought you where going to talk about the book "dont do what jonny dont does"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

No, I don't not get that joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Earthhorse wrote: »
    No, I don't not get that joke.

I think the point is that Bart believes if most people knew the book featured disfigurement they would be more inclined to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Sounds like lazy writing. I guess you could make a connection through the ghost of Hamlet's father but that's pretty weak. Probably more of a "Homer says something stupid" gag than anything.

There's one I always wonder about. It's when Bart's being home schooled and Marge has him read a book, Johnny Something (can't remember the name). Anyway, it's about a soldier in some war and he loses his arm or something so Bart says, "They should have called this book Johnny Deformed" and I just wonder does the title translate as something similar to that.

The guy in the book doesn't lose his arm, he has it deformed in an accident. And Bart being the gore/violence obsessed 10 year old that most of us were instantly warms to the book (after previously being disinterested) due to said deformity.

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The very end of the episode where Sideshow Bob steals the nuke at the air show, when grandpa rides up on a Harley and everybody says "here we go again" - what's that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I think as Earthhorse said those moments are probably just laziness on the writers behalf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The constant Jasper Johns jokes in the episode where Homer is an "Outsider Artist".

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The very end of the episode where Sideshow Bob steals the nuke at the air show, when grandpa rides up on a Harley and everybody says "here we go again" - what's that about?

Sideshow Bob said that his crusade against television had an ending so lazy and formulaic that it could have come from the laziest Hollywood hack. So they did a clearly stupid and lame ending.

Advertisement