Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fourth year computer lab - question re: unauthorised usage

Options
  • 05-11-2007 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Dramatic title....

Anyway, I'm in the Computing BSc lab at the moment (1:50 PM, Monday). The room is nearly filled (all of the working computers anyway). No surprises for guessing that the room is filled with non-Computing students (there's 4 of us here presently).

The biggest worry I have is that non-Computing students will (and probably have already) reboot PC that we're already logged into, which means that we may lose our work if, for example, I lock my PC for a moment while a program is compiling & then come back to see that it's been taken over.

Obviously the sign on the door isn't working. Does anyone know of anyone we can go to in order to try and get this rule enforced? E.g.: School of Business & Humanities, IT admins, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Any time any non Computing heads came in when I was in it , they were told by us to leave, It's kinda up to ye to make it stay that way, Though a word in the ear of the HoD if things dont improve would be advisable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

No worries about telling them where to go if they come in when I or any of the others are already in there. The problem today was that the room was already packed when I walked in and I didn't feel comfortable asking an entire room to leave (especially if they were 3rd years, they may have been granted access to the room without my knowledge).

I should have just hulked up and bodyslammed them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The sign that is currently on the door is crap. It's just a printed out letter from the head of department. You might read it if it came in the post to you but if it was stuck on the door to a room, would you even read it?

I think we should just put a sign up saying "PISS OFF" but failing that "4th year computing students only" should do. The punishment for entering the room - death (might be a tad drastic there).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Get their student numbers :D when you go to log on, it should remember the last user. Ask lecturers HOD to conatact students and request they stop using the lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's only 3-4 of us (3rd year computing) that have been allowed to use that lab for our projects. The reason we've been allowed to use B1043 was because, to quote lecturers, D2007 was left in a 'state' last year so we're not getting to use it this year :( ... So we're being shoved in with you lot :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ask them to leave... simple as that!

If they refuse, try and explain some Prolog to them in detail on the white-board. They'll quickly look puzzled and back away slowly.

Must pop in and see how B1043 is faring up these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Aye, just tell them to leave is probably the only thing, just explain the lab is reserved for 4th year computing only.

Other than that stick an A4 page on your monitor before you leave the room saying "OUT OF ORDER". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭rancheros

basquille wrote: »
    Ask them to leave... simple as that!

If they refuse, try and explain some Prolog to them in detail on the white-board. They'll quickly look puzzled and back away slowly.

Must pop in and see how B1043 is faring up these days!

I agree totally, get them to do the wumpus game:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Cheers for all of the replies, folks! Glad to report that there has been no mass invasion since I posted this, so things are motoring along quite nicely.

As for confusing the interlopers with Prolog, that plan would fail as I would have to understand it yself before I attempted that. :D I'll explain the .NET framework to them instead.

Advertisement