Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy games?

Options
  • 05-11-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Anybody know of a good games site that ships to ireland?
    I see amazon.co.uk won't, and i'm damned if i'm giving money to GAME/gamestop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Virgin Megastore website is having a good sale at the moment. Free delivery to ireland and 10 percent off I think. Check out the bargain forum for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

play.com, cdwow.ie (they seem to have improved recently), sendit.com, blahdvd.com, shopto.net...

You're normally best searching through those until you find the best price, I've dealt will all of them before and haven't had any negative experiences (apart from cdwow, i'm still a bit wary of them...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I don't usually go on tirades against retailers but NEVER ever buy games from play.com. I bought Tomb Raider from them... Except it was scratched and in a dirty resealed box. They were trying to pass it off as new. So I sent it back and asked for a replacement. They sent me an even more scratched disk. Box was equally dirty. They also didn't fully refund me for my posting it back to them. I was super-pissed off at this stage. I asked for a refund. This time they refunded me completely for the postage but only refunded €15 when the game cost €23.50... Thats right folks, they refunded me the sterling price in Euro. Their customer service is non existant. I tried calling numerous numbers and none were in service, also the e-mail correspondance is all automated. They could send you AIDS in a box and you'd get the same "sorry for the inconvenience" mail.

Ended up buying the game for €16 on cd-wow. Will never shop with play.com again.

My current favourite supplier is VG+

TL;DR. I hate play, never buy from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I've dealt with play.com often, including their customer service team, and can say I've had a totally different experience to Burning Eclipse. Always got through to a customer service person speaking English as their native language first time on the phone and any issues were always resolved perfectly. I've bought games, DVDs and books off them.

I have bought games off cdwow before, they took ages to arrive - other than that experience was fine.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with play.com as well, with purchases amounting to thousands of euro at this stage over the past 4+ years
    Any problems i've had have been rectified in no time at all by a very efficient returns dept (had the wrong dvd sent out recently, and the cd-rom version of a game instead of the dvd-rom version a couple of years ago)

2 games and a dvd ordered towards the end of last week on play.com all popped through my letterbox just now, and they were all still in the factory plastic wrapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

tman wrote: »
    I've had nothing but positive experiences with play.com as well, with purchases amounting to thousands of euro at this stage over the past 4+ years
    Any problems i've had have been rectified in no time at all by a very efficient returns dept (had the wrong dvd sent out recently, and the cd-rom version of a game instead of the dvd-rom version a couple of years ago)

2 games and a dvd ordered towards the end of last week on play.com all popped through my letterbox just now, and they were all still in the factory plastic wrapping.

I used to love them. Been shopping with them for years. Even bought some of my gf's christmas pressies off them last year. Probably haven't spent thousands, but a decent chunk anyway. But I have no tolerance for terrible customer service and what I got from them was textbook.:mad:

I don't want to drag this o/t... to reiterate, videogamesplus are great for importing! cd-wow have done ok by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭spockpower

are there any sites that i can buy games from without a credit card ???

i have a aib laser card if this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've bought loads of stuff off play.com too, no problems.

I always shop around between play.com and these (all free delivery):
    www.dvd.co.uk
    www.gameplay.co.uk
    www.sendit.com
    CDWow - check both the Irish and UK sites

Occasionally used:
    www.blahdvd.com - GBP 1 delivery per item, but got Stalker there for 23 euro when it was GBP 24 everywhere else
    www.hmv.co.uk - think it's GBP 2.50 per item, but was still cheaper than anywhere else (including Steam) for The Orange Box

Can often be worth googling for e-vouchers, saved an extra few quid off Stalker with these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 PatF

spockpower wrote: »
    are there any sites that i can buy games from without a credit card ???

i have a aib laser card if this helps

Gamesnash.ie will accept cheques bank drafts and postal orders. In interests of disclosure a member of my family is a partner in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Nobody mentioned www.play-asia.com yet.....never used them but they are supposed to be very good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

ciano1 wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned www.play-asia.com yet.....never used them but they are supposed to be very good

Legends! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I ordered a PC game 'World in Conflict' from cdwow.ie and it took 9 weeks to get to me. Kept getting emails telling me the they were getting a new delivery date from their suppliers or some rubbish like that. I'd be very wary of buying anything from them again.

Darwin wrote: »
    I ordered a PC game 'World in Conflict' from cdwow.ie and it took 9 weeks to get to me. Kept getting emails telling me the they were getting a new delivery date from their suppliers or some rubbish like that. I'd be very wary of buying anything from them again.

I had a similar problem with a DVD. Totally forgot that I ordered it, when I remembered a couple of months later, it was still pending despatch...

They seem to be under new management these days though, so it should be safe to order from them again...
    I preordered CoD4 from them for the princely sum of €30, and that is showing as despatched now so I should hopefully have it on Monday or Tuesday

And yeah, play-asia ftw
    I love the way they give you $5 off vouchers with every purchase as well, it makes their already great prices even better:)

Advertisement