Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about framing comic art......

Options
  • 05-11-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

I just posted this in the arts and crafts section but thought I'd post here too since may be more relevant:

I have 3 pieces of comic art I purchased over the last couple of years: 2 done in full colour and 1 pencil sketch. I had them professionally framed. When I was getting them framed I asked about UV protective glass and was told it was not needed. The pieces are by known artists and originals so I don't want to damage them. The sketch is beside on the same wall as my window but back from it a bit so is in constant shade and the other two are opposite the window but direct sunlight does not hit them (Sun gets to about 2 feet of one but doesn't hit the pic directly)

Long story short (Too late, I now) does anybody know anything about UV protective glass and would it be worth changing the glass?

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Get that museum glass if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

bombidol wrote: »
    Get that museum glass if possible.

Thanks man. Can I get that in Dublin do you know? Also, in your opinion, should the pics that are not in direct sunlight be moved if I switch to museum glass?
    Thanks for the input again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

its debatable with UV glass if its really worth the extra cost. I've a pretty good relationship with the shop that frames both my own work and the different pieces I've picked up and when I asked them about it they said UV glass offerd at best a very minimal degree of protection from sun-fading. Its more important that you've used acid free mounting board and alot depends on the actually artwork its self. What paper the pencil sketch is on - high quality bristol is best and wither the page has been fixed. Inked pages are best if again they are on bristol and done with a good archival ink.

museum glass is only worth the cost if your planning on having several hundred people come through and photograph the work everyday.

Can I ask what medium are the colour pages done in?

I would reckon that any of the decent framing stores would carry it, try the one on Liffey Street maybe? Also double check that they have the UV stuff, I would move it myself till I got the good stuff to be honest.

Well, I don't really know. The sketch is on a heavy enough printer grade type paper and the drawings (In marker by the looks of it) are on heavy enough paper. Not quite card but not far off. Thanks for the opinions folks

• Advertisement

You have a ross? sweet.

bombidol wrote: »
    You have a ross? sweet.

Yeah,cheers. It's the one from the back of the collected Kingdom Come. (There is one almost exactly the same in his book mythology but it's not it.) Got the last published sketch from it a few years ago. The other two are Timms. My niece is plotting my early demise as they are left to her in my will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Not quite card but not far off

That would be bristol I'd say. Markers are prob something like prismacolour or copic - they should be fine as long as they are not in direct sunlight. If your still thinking of spending the money on UV glass you might want to check this page

Advertisement