Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Safety belt ...can you drive without?

Options
  • 05-11-2007 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

I can't ..literally can not.

Even just rushing down the road from work to the postbox before its emptied, a distance of about 500 meters, not having the safety belt on just feels wrong.

Deliberately didn't put it on, as I knew I'd be jumping out in half a minute again ...just felt so "naked" without, had to buckle myself in halfway down the road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Same here. I used to hate the seatbelt, then I got into the habbit of wearing it and now can not drive without.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh I just feel 'naked' without mine too. Often times even just moving the car in and off the drive-way I'd buckle up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Feel really insecure without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Yep, cant drive without it on. I don't even start the car unless its on. Pretty much the first thing I do when I get into the car. You do feel "naked" without it. There is no real excuse for not wearing it.
    It's funny that I'd put it on when moving the car in the driveway too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Ok.... I am not that bad but yes it is possible and have seen it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Same here. I feel really uncomfortable without mine on - and even when passengers don't put theirs on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm just the same - it just feels wrong when I'm not wearing one. The only exception, and I can't understand why, is when I'm in a taxi. It's the only time I have to remind myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Another one for the "feel naked without it" club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

same here, have to have it on regardless of seat in car.

sometimes even after putting it on, i tighten it so there is no looseness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I feel the same! Almost like I'd fall out of the seat through the door if I took a bend too quickly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Sometimes when im driving 200 - 300 meters I might not bother putting it on, but when i get there Ill click the button to release. Im conditioned to wear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd never drive without it either, out of habit, but my last couple of cars have a seatbelt-warning chime for both driver and passenger seats which would drive you to distraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Same here, although i would force myself not to if i was on the way home and stopped off at the shop across the road. Its only a few hundred meters so will not bother putting it on as i will be out of the car in a moment.
    I do still feel naked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Always wear it in the car whether I'm a driver or passenger. And if I'm on a bus with seatbelts I'll always put it on there too. I'd say 9/10 of bus passengers don't bother. Many don't bother in the back seat of a car either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Even when im in the US, i will wear my seatbelt if there is one... i get funny looks as over there (depending on the state probably) you only have to wear it in the front. And many drivers do not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Shamrogue wrote: »
    Sometimes when im driving 200 - 300 meters I might not bother putting it on, but when i get there Ill click the button to release. Im conditioned to wear it!

I have habits like that as well. I was in france in the passenger seat of a car and when the car parked, just before I took the seatbelt off I tried to put it in first gear and lift the handbrake. I got a funny look.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stephen wrote: »
    Same here. I feel really uncomfortable without mine on - and even when passengers don't put theirs on.
    I can't even reverse the car out of the drive to park it up on the side of the road to let my wife's car out without putting it on! Anyway, my car beeps at me if I do, and that's just plain annoying :)

And as for passengers, front or back .. if they don't put theirs on, the car doesn't move, no discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Saruman wrote: »
    Even when im in the US, i will wear my seatbelt if there is one... i get funny looks as over there (depending on the state probably) you only have to wear it in the front. And many drivers do not bother.

i heard before, i dont know how true it is, that the airbags in US cars are designed to explode in such a way that they protect people more who arn't wearing their belt!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I get the annoying beep-beep-beep thing, so even if I wanted to leave it off (which I never do!) I'd be annoyed into putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I get the annoying beep-beep-beep thing, so even if I wanted to leave it off (which I never do!) I'd be annoyed into putting it on.
    On my car the annoying beep only kicks in above 5mph, so all you'd have to do is drive everywhere verrrrrrrry sloooooowly :)

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    On my car the annoying beep only kicks in above 5mph, so all you'd have to do is drive everywhere verrrrrrrry sloooooowly :)

or in reverse. you'll get 20mph flat out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Same here, just feels wrong.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Always have mine on too.. just feels wrong without it

Complete startup procedure :) :
    - Get in, key in ignition, move to on.
    - Seatbelt
    - start engine
    - dip lights on (always - even if just moving the car)
    - phone in cradle. turn bluetooth speaker on
    - select appropriate track on the cd player/put on newstalk
    - check mirrors, indicate and drive away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Driving: I always wear it. 'Clunk click, every trip!' :D

However, if I'm a passenger in the back seat, I tend not to wear it for some reason. Mainly because many of the cars my parent's had when I was younger had no rear seat belts (hell, my own car doesn't even have them!). It's a bad habit I should really get out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Complete startup procedure :) :
    - Get in, key in ignition, move to on.
    - Seatbelt
    - start engine
    - dip lights on (always - even if just moving the car)
    - phone in cradle. turn bluetooth speaker on
    - select appropriate track on the cd player/put on newstalk
    - check mirrors, indicate and drive away

Captain Slow! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Táck wrote: »
    i heard before, i dont know how true it is, that the airbags in US cars are designed to explode in such a way that they protect people more who arn't wearing their belt!
    No it's more of a case that air bags save lives in the states because they don't wear belts.
    Good air bags + belt is safest
    belt is safer than bad air bags , especially if you aren't of average build. People have been killed by air bags who might have lived if they wore a belt to protect them from the air bag.

Naked too, only time not worn if repositioning a car in a private place by mostly reversing and even then it's usually on instinctively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Always wear it and as been stated already, I'd feel "naked" without it.
    I even wear it the back and passenger seat too.

There was a time when few people wore seat belts and if you ever watched a checkpoint you'd see people struggling to belt up.
    This has improved big time in the last few years.
    Most people no longer need to be reminded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Have been known not to wear it but John Law is out and about to remind me and, its damn silly not to wear it, just think there is a bit of Volvo in every modern car!

-VB-

Don't you mean there's a bit of every modern car in Volvos? well mitsubishis, fords, peugeots, renaults anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Don't you mean there's a bit of every modern car in Volvos? well mitsubishis, fords, peugeots, renaults anyway

See i like Volvo's when they were just that a Volvo!! Not some sick Mutt!!

No Volvo has interseted me since the 900

-VB-

Advertisement