Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Safety belt ...can you drive without?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fuinseoige

Where can one get rear seat belts installed? I have a 1977 Ford Cortina with no rear seats I would like to get them installed for peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fuinseoige wrote: »
    Where can one get rear seat belts installed? I have a 1977 Ford Cortina with no rear seats I would like to get them installed for peace of mind

Try the classic cars forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Alun wrote: »
    And as for passengers, front or back .. if they don't put theirs on, the car doesn't move, no discussion.

Same here i wont turn the key until all passengers have settled down and got their belts on. sometimes this can be an annoyance if carryin a full load because some people find it difficult to use the middle seat belt. why this is, i dont know.They're all 3 point seat belts and its straight forward. Pull across. click.
    On that note, I also hate people improperly wearing the belt. Ie; the shoulder strap under their shoulder. It makes me nervous and compromises the safety of the belt! ugh when will people learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

Fuinseoige wrote: »
    No need for belts if you have no rear seats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fuinseoige

thanks for the help guys was onto the RSA can get the belts installed at a ford garage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i get a red warning light on the dash and beeps so i'm pretty much forced to buckle up before the engine starts..

it's interesting how quickly people adapt to things. We've (speaking mainly about 18-30's) been brought up with this seatbelt saves lives stuff, whilst the older generation haven't.

from my own experience, it's beeps and lights etc which have got these older people into habits as none of them seem to bother with belts when they're in the backseat.

rather ironic as when in the front you have airbags and can control how you react to hazards... when in the backseat, by in large you have no airbags and no control, and most likely can't 'prepare/anticipate' yourself for a crash the way a driver can, so your body will take the hit even harder.

buses are a huge problem still... it's no good putting seatbelts in buses if they're not going to be used. I'd say 90% of people on buses don't use belts, myself included. Why? Because the seats are usually small, belts are fiddly to get at and not visible or 'on hand'... make then yellow and the belt green or something and more people would 'remember'. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They should replace the pelvis breakers on buses with proper seatbelts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I always wear my seat belt now as i got caught once and got 2 points around 2 years ago and also in my golf the beeping wont stop till i wear the belt.Thats a great idea to make you wear the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

An even better idea would be for the car not to start if you were the one in the driver's seat. A safety feature to benefit everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I always belt up. Pretty much can't move until I have. Although I do make a conscious decision not to wear the belt when driving the car on the driveway, ie. to the hose for a car wash etc.

But I'm not sure I agree with it been the law to wear a seat belt. I think it should be up to the individual. If they want to have a higher risk of dying in a car crash then thats up to them.

I never bother with the belt on a bus. As said by others here it's not visible enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never forget to put them on when on the mainland (of Ireland).

Frequently forget to put them on when on the island my family is from, as nobody does up there (having a taxed, insured and registered-legally car was rare there until recently). Ironically I'd say you've got at least a 5x higher chance of having a dangerous collision on the islands crappy roads...

My previous car would scream at me if I didn't, though, so I'm fairly conditioned from that now. The current one doesn't care about me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bman wrote: »
    But I'm not sure I agree with it been the law to wear a seat belt. I think it should be up to the individual. If they want to have a higher risk of dying in a car crash then thats up to them.
    Unless you're alone in the car, then not wearing your own seatbelt puts other people in the car (whether they are wearing their belts or not) at greater risk as well. Don't you remember the recent ads on the telly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

it all depends on the car i am in if i am in a new car with seat belts fitted as standard thatn i don't even think about it the belt goes on straight away but if a car hasn't got belts fitted i'm not too bothered one of my cars has been retro fitted with belts so i use them even though they are rubbish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bman wrote: »
    This is the argument used by anti-helmet bikers in the USA. It ignores the fact that these people use up precious emergency services, A&E and follow-up resources in hospitals when seriously injured in a road accident, thus depriving other people of treatment and possibly causing their death as a consequence of this. No contest, really. Belt up or wear a helmet - for your own sake, your family's sake, and the common good.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Put on belt, start engine, dipped lights on. I'd find it hard to break out of it at this stage.
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

smemon wrote: »
    when in the front you have airbags and can control how you react to hazards... when in the backseat, by in large you have no airbags and no control, and most likely can't 'prepare/anticipate' yourself for a crash the way a driver can, so your body will take the hit even harder.

Don't know if it's true, but i've heard that bracing yourself in preparation for a crash tends to result in worse injuries. It makes sense to me - most of the things you'd be bracing against (facia/floorplate) will be prone to movement in a collision. I'd also imagine that people who 'ragdoll' would be less likely to break bones than those who try to stay rigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

esel wrote: »
    This is the argument used by anti-helmet bikers in the USA. It ignores the fact that these people use up precious emergency services, A&E and follow-up resources in hospitals when seriously injured in a road accident, thus depriving other people of treatment and possibly causing their death as a consequence of this. No contest, really. Belt up or wear a helmet - for your own sake, your family's sake, and the common good.

Good point. Never thought of it this way (never really thought about it at all!).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Don't know if it's true, but i've heard that bracing yourself in preparation for a crash tends to result in worse injuries. It makes sense to me - most of the things you'd be bracing against (facia/floorplate) will be prone to movement in a collision. I'd also imagine that people who 'ragdoll' would be less likely to break bones than those who try to stay rigid.
    I don't know about that.
    I see your point about lower leg injuries from the footwell deforming in a bad crash, but I'd say tensing up and holding on to the wheel for dear life would definitely help prevent some head injuries. If you go all "rag doll", I'd say you're much more likley to hit your head on something (wheel, side window, passenger's head etc.) than if you tense up. Depending on things like seatbelt pretensioners, the number and performance of airbags etc.

Obviously, a high speed crash will likely make a rag doll out of you regardless of what you try to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Gwynston wrote: »
    ...but I'd say tensing up and holding on to the wheel for dear life would definitely help prevent some head injuries
    At an impact speed over 30 km/h all that will do is break your wrists (from your own forward momentum applied to the outstreched arms) and delay any movement/injury of your head by about 0.05 seconds :D

Advertisement