Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Stop Dogs Eating their POO

Options
  • 05-11-2007 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm a problem with my dogs eating their poo I always clean up their pens every day feed them a good quality food Arden Grange yet they still do it.

Is there any way to stop them doing it I'm afraid it will bring parasitic infections into their system.

Is tehre anything available on the market to add to their food to make the poo less attractive to eat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Hi

I use pineapple juice, put some in with their food and way hay, when the turn around to start to eat, the smell turns them off it.

Worked for me so far anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Yep, pineapple fresh or dried or courgette has the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

You could put tabasco sauce on their poo before they get a chance to eat it. But be warned, some dogs love the taste of tabasco sauce, my cousins' west highland terrier used to chew on the legs of their coffee table, so they put tabasco sauce on it, but Sparkie loved it and chewed even more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Hi,

Im going to try this pinapple juice thing. My beagle eats her poo every so often if i dont clean it up first. Is pinapple juice a natural diaeretic, wont it give her the runs/squits?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Killme00 wrote: »
    wont it give her the runs/squits?

Thanks

ewwwwwww thanks for the double description

• Advertisement

I dont mind picking up her poo in the back garden or when we go for walks but i draw the line at a warm soggy slimey pile of goey poo, solids are easier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

We've done the pineapple thing, it didn't seem to have any effect on the poo (ie didn't give her the runs or anything, or make the consistency runny) it's just for some reason semi-digested pineapple makes the poo not as nice to eat (although could never understand how they could like the taste of poo in the first place, bleugh). The pineapple thing did work though, no probs now WRT doggie eating poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmanning

four paws make stuff called potty mouth that my sister uses for her dog, work a treat got it from the pet shop on the quays

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

will have to try that on my gsd as she is now starting to eat her own poo. my fiance is horrified! (he never owned a dog before lol and he freaks - won't klet her near him after she does it). d joys. normally it is a sign they need nutrients that didn't get absorbed the first time through. she's due a check up soon anyways :) should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Dogs eat their own poo?:eek: but? what?

My dogs have NEVER eaten their own poo.

maybe it needs salt? but seriously, why? is this common?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Its totally normal for a dog to eat their poo, so they should not be punished. I would reccomend making a high-pitched sound or some other form of distraction.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 goodforsomethin

my dog used to eat her poo a lot i used to come home thinking i had a wonderful dog but she grew out of it after a while thank god although the vet did recommend the pineapple thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Thats brilliant, no mess. If you could get her to drink her wee, youd have the perfect pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 goodforsomethin

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant, no mess. If you could get her to drink her wee, youd have the perfect pet.

yep and walk herself it would be ideal, although i dont understand the tobasco sauce surely if somebody's going to the hassle of doing that it would be just as easy to pick it up i can imagine the poo the day after the tobasco sauce:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I can't stop my basset eating cowpoo when I walk him. I live in the country and it is not practical to feed pineapple to the 200+ cows in the area...

Help?

'cptr

it is not practical to feed pineapple to the 200+ cows in the area...

Hahaha brilliant..surely a call to the man from del monte is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I would have thought that meant they were lacking certain nutrients or something? No? Although that can't be right because then it wouldn't make sense for them to go back and eat something they've already had. I don't know!

On a side note my sisters dog used to pick up poo and carry it around with her, never ate it, you'd just get funny looks when you were walking her and look down to find her trotting along with a poo stickin out of her mouth.

Advertisement