Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell and PSU's

Options
  • 05-11-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've taken a quick look through the faqs, but apologies if the answer to my question is there and I've missed it.

I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card in my pc (Dell Dimension 5150). However the psu on this is only a 305W, and I'm reckoning it won't handle a reasonably modern graphics card like the one I'm looking at (Radeon X1950GT)

The dell PC apparently uses a BTX form factor motherboard, and I'm not sure if this is going to cause me any problems with getting a new PSU.

So basically my question is two-part:
    1. Will the current PSU take the new card?
    2. Can I upgrade with any reasonable PSU (400-500W) that has a 24-pin connector?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

Checkout this site...
    http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/selector/dell.htm

ULTRA-QUIET DELL PSU: SILENCER® 470 DELL
    Designed specifically for the Dell computers listed in the sidebar, the Silencer 470W Dell upgrade power supply provides 30%-100% more power than factory Dell units! For Dell owners planning to add the latest video cards, optical drives, or other high-performance components to their systems, our reliable and ultra-quiet Silencer 470W Dell is the perfect solution.

470W @ 40C (520W peak)
    Reduces noise by up to 90%
    .99 power factor correction
    +12V @ 26A
    24-pin M/B connector
    1 PCI Express video connector
    Automatic fan speed control
    5-Year warranty and support

....check with web for a UK or IRL reselled

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Thanks for the reply footfall.

I've had a further look, and it seems that I should be able to use a standard ATX PSU.

On this basis I've decided to just lash in the card and see what happens. If it works, I'll carry on, if not, I'll get a new psu.

I may be going to that crowd anyway, though they don't seem to have a UK/Irl reseller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Will most likely work fine with your current power supply anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah, it should be fine. That card isnt too power hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Thanks all.
    Hopefully you're right about not needing the upgraded psu given my confusing research on what one to use!

• Advertisement
Advertisement