Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3, Volvo S40 or VW Passat

Options
  • 05-11-2007 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I am changing the wifes car from the current 03 Octavia. I am looking at getting a 06 and I will be spending around 22 or 23 grand. (cash. I'll sell the Octavia private)

What I need ...

We have 2 kids.... 2 & 4 years of age. So, one booster and one baby seat. The Octavia has been a fantastic car and I would have no complaints about it. However, the Mrs always found it a bit too big. Now that the kids are a bit bigger we don't have to haul as much stuff around with us (buggies and the like) so we don't need as much room as we used to.

Also, without going into our family planning in too much detail, our next car (in about 3 years) will probably be a people carrier, so Mrs BnA would like to have a nice car before then.

We did consider getting an SUV for a while but I got her to drive an X-Trail at the weekend and she HATED it. So, that ruled that out.

At the moment the 3 cars I am most interested in are :

Volvo S40 (1.8 Petrol or 1.6 Diesel)
    VW Passat (1.9 tdi. I would like the 2.0 tdi but price probably restricts me to the 1.9)
    Audi A3 Sportback (1.6 Petrol)

Below are the good \ bad points that I see for each model

Audi A3 Sportsback

+ Looks Classy
    + Good boot
    - Will it be difficult to sell in a few years as estates always are in Ireland (I know it's not a full whack estate, but you know what I mean) ?
    - The Mrs was never mad about hatchbacks

Passat

+ Will probably hold its value best
    + Has the most room
    - Is a very big car
    - Looks awful

Volvo S40
    + Looks great, inside and out.
    + Is a nice tidy size
    - Is there much room in the back ?
    - Will depreciation be as bad as the last model

I would appreciate any ideas \ comments on the above cars or any alternative suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

The A3 as you said will loose the value so that's out of the question.
    The Passat seems the best option here.
    The Volvo -- not my cup of tea.

BMW 3 series is another option or the new Bora but might be over the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd prefer a new shape Octavia to any of the above, TBH. Plus you'd get a nicer one for the same money. A 2.0TDI DSG with a good spec, for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are looking for space and practically for ferrying around kids, out of the three mentioned the Passat is the obvious choice.

The A3 is really only a 5 door slightly longer hatchback (pointless?), not a genuine estate car by any means. It also uses the Golf platform which means it is based on a car from a class below so is restricted.

The S40 is based on the Ford Focus so again it is built around a platform from a class down on the Passat. The rear leg room is tight and the boot is narrow.

In terms of space and over all size only the new Mondeo can beat the Passat in this class of car. Doubt you would get the new Mondeo on your budget yet but might be worth a look. Your probably looking at towards the end of next year for a Mondeo.

Not gone on the VAG 1.9 TDi though either. It was a good unit in it's day but these days there are far more superior refined diesels on the market for similar money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

louie wrote: »
    The A3 as you said will loose the value so that's out of the question.
    The Passat seems the best option here.
    The Volvo -- not my cup of tea.

BMW 3 series is another option or the new Bora but might be over the budget.

Believe me, she would love a 3 series. But it is just too expensive. We could possibly stretch to the last of the old model (a 05) but I think it would be madness. She wouldn't go back to a 03 or 04. I'd have no problem but that's the way she is.

RE teh Bora...I presume you mean the new Vento. Hmmmm Yeah, I'll say it to her. But I think it's as ugly as sin. Plus, it's only 2 or 3 k cheaper than the passat.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd prefer a new shape Octavia to any of the above, TBH. Plus you'd get a nicer one for the same money. A 2.0TDI DSG with a good spec, for example?

No arguing with that. But I think she would like a change after having her current Octavia for almost 5 years now.

Thanks to you both. All comments appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BnA wrote: »
    RE teh Bora...I presume you mean the new Vento. Hmmmm Yeah, I'll say it to her. But I think it's as ugly as sin. Plus, it's only 2 or 3 k cheaper than the passat.

The new Bora is called the Jetta and is still just a Golf with a boot.

Did you consider the Skoda Superb? Huge rear leg room and a big boot being based on the old Audi A6 platform, it also has the option of the 130bhp 1.9 TDi engine. Downside is that it looks old inside and out now being based on a 10 year old Passat. Depreciation is also heavy on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

From an owners perspective-

Negative points-
    -Rear legroom is ok in the S40 (fine for kids) BUT the boot is small and the opening is narrow. It's awkward enough getting 2 sets of golfclubs in, so I'd imagine a buggy would pose the same problem.
    -Small glovebox, rubbish cupholders and no door bins worth talking about. Sounds silly but if you're ferrying kids around you'll probably need somewhere to keep all their junk:)
    -It's heavy enough on petrol (1.8)- about 33mpg combined Dublin commute & longer trips.

On the plus side- tons of standard kit (cruise, climate, 6CD & great stereo, trip, leather, alloys, auto wipers)
    +very comfortable seats, best of any car I've driven
    +acceptable performance for overtaking & motorway cruising without setting the world alight.

Depreciation is savage. A new one is c.35k, an 05 can be had for 20k easily. I'll be hanging on to mine for a while yet! :D

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

bazz26 wrote: »
    The new Bora is called the Jetta and is still just a Golf with a boot.

Did you consider the Skoda Superb? Huge rear leg room and a big boot being based on the old Audi A6 platform, it also has the option of the 130bhp 1.9 TDi engine. Downside is that it looks old inside and out now being based on a 10 year old Passat. Depreciation is also heavy on them.
    I knew Vento looked wrong even when I was writing it.

Skoda Superb is a bit too big. Also. as you said, looks a bit dated. Would probably go for the new model Octavia before it.

Advertisement