Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College research

• 05-11-2007 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Could you please spare 2 minutes of your time and fill in a questionnaire for a college subject? Thanks ;)

This is a short questionnaire we are doing for a sample business plan for a subject in our final year of our course. This is a device that will combine the bluetooth technology and the current USB memory stick technology to store and share files wirelessly to several computers that are bluetooth enabled. This device will also feature a rechargable battery, and can be recharged by sticking the device into a USB port.

http://www.my3q.com/home2/188/daveyip/65588.phtml

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Will I get a free device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

This is just a business plan at the moment, but other final year business plans have been picked to actually be made, so if ours does, then yes :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Done, only nine questions, and will only take you a minute to do so help him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    This is just a business plan at the moment, but other final year business plans have been picked to actually be made, so if ours does, then yes :p

So this memory stick enables what exactly

does it work independantly of computers does it need to be attached to a pc to work?
    what security is envisaged for this device?

Any pc or laptop that is bluetooth enabled and is in the proximity of the memory stick should be able to access it by entering a password and download/upload files onto it.

Let me give you an example, lets say you're in a Lab in college, you have some assignment to do and all computers have a bluetooth dongle, then the lab assistant can just give you a password to access the memory stick and you can download the files necessary to start the assignment. Of course this is an example that I'm familiar with, as I'm a student, but there are other examples I can use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Its an idea i dont see it as being massively useful however, in the example you gave surely the PC's would already be joined by a network and it would be as easy to email the files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ah the 4th year business plan.
    gmit by any chance?
    sounds like an ivan mc class?????

good idea by the way!!!

prendy wrote: »
    ah the 4th year business plan.
    gmit by any chance?
    sounds like an ivan mc class?????

good idea by the way!!!
    Nah, I'm in NUIG, and thanks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

(shudders at the memories of my FYP)

Done, only took a sec.

Come on folks, help a brother out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

done and done.

Some constructive feedback for ya:

Bluetooth is good for what it does, but transfering files? setting up shares and browsing directories would be pushing the simple technology a bit far no? if its a corporate/school environment, networks should already be in place to share files. Desktop pc's rarely, if ever support bluetooth.

Whats to stop two people just sending the files via bluetooth? or you are more than likely dealing with laptops which probably have WiFi cards, why not just create a wireless network and hand out the key, the transfer speeds would be faster, there is built in support for wireless networking/file transfer there and far more people would know how to join a wireless network than setup a bluetooth device/network.

also, plugging a usb key in and out is hardly time consuming. would firing up bluetooth, scanning, entering the authentication key then testing connectivity really be faster than just playing pass the key, or better yet, sharing the folder over an existing network medium?

Hope your project goes well, and i dont mean to poop all over your idea, I just wanted to ask you a few questions that you would be asked if you pushed ahead with this idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Done.
    Any pc or laptop that is bluetooth enabled and is in the proximity of the memory stick should be able to access it by entering a password and download/upload files onto it.
    How will the password work? Will there be strictly enforced strong passwords (there should be for something as open as this).

The biggest problem I see with this is that it's bluetooth. It will be worthless for any decently sized file simply because the convenience of wireless transfer will be overcome by the sheer horror of the length of time it will take. In that sense your example wouldn't work too well, bluetooth is slow even with one person using it, but when connecting a whole class to it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Good idea, done and done

Done.

Have to agree with blowfish......The pro. of it being wireless is outweighed by the con. of it being unfeasibly slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Done. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ok, did the survey for you David, now let me beat you at poker tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Done.

Not trying to piss on your parade but isn't this idea similar to when a memory stick has wifi on it?
    and considering that memory sticks are plugged into a source such as usb where it can receive power wifi would be better than bluetooth as it's faster.

Regardless, good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

done

you really don't need a sample size bigger than 30

• Advertisement
Advertisement