Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What food/drink cheers you up when you're poorly?

• 05-11-2007 4:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a slight scratchy throat right now, and I can't think what to drink to make myself feel better. I was leaning towards a hot whisky, but I can't find cloves in the fecking shop!

Is there anything you like to eat or drink to make yourself feel better when you're under the weather? Given the time of year, perhaps it'd be better to focus on when you've a cold.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Jewish Penicillin - aka chicken soup

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mmm, soup! I think that sounds just lovely right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Heinz cream of tomato soup.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Hot ribena or hot Miwadi/Kiora type stuff it great when I have a sore throat.

I also have a guaranteed soup recipe to make throats feel better, it stinks but it's worth it!

Take 3 large yellow onions remove loose skin but keep the rest of the skin on, chop in half.

Take 4 whole cloves of garlic and crush (with skin) the bottom of a mug is good for this.

Put in a big pot with 3 pints of water and 2 chicken stock cubes (knorr are best for flavour) and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 mins and then take of heat and drain immediately.

Drink as hot as you can stand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Chocolate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Faith wrote: »
    I have a slight scratchy throat right now, and I can't think what to drink to make myself feel better. I was leaning towards a hot whisky, but I can't find cloves in the fecking shop!

Is there anything you like to eat or drink to make yourself feel better when you're under the weather? Given the time of year, perhaps it'd be better to focus on when you've a cold.

Honestly I feel a gargle with a disprin to ease the pain and plenty of honey & lemon...

Go and visit you're local pharmacist - he/she will of you free and impartial advice in case mine is too 'special needs' for you

I only wish I'd seen this thread sooner!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Looks like I've made a friend...

My pharmacist was useless and refused to give me any advice. She just kept telling me to go to a doctor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

cozmik wrote: »
    Chocolate?
    apparently 50g of black chocolate a day is as effective a cough suppressant as the standard does of coedeine for cough suppression.

can't beat the mashed spuds, even if you're so stuffed up you can't taste anything

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Tetra

Tomato soup or hot chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Blackcurrent lemsip

Tea

• Advertisement

For a throat something with good bacteria like a yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hot cup of tea with 1 large tea spoon of honey and a drop of milk, I swear by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭flyingdagger

Mashed potatoes with loads of butter.yum:)

Advertisement