Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Book Price

Options
  • 05-11-2007 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

I am hoping to trade in my Peugeot 407 St 1.8 petrol comfort model for a new VW passat in the coming months. What would be a fair price i would be looking to get for my car at the forecourt. It is in immaculate condition and has 22.000 miles up on the clock. How much would it be worth on a trade in. I honestly fear the worse as i hear they are bad on the re sale. I paid €24,000 for it back in March 2006 and i know I will probably drop a nice few grand! It did only have 3000 mile on the clock at the time so it was relatively new! Any one have any ideas and what i should get:)?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

you could try the VRT calculator which gives the current market value price:

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

louie wrote: »
    you could try the VRT calculator which gives the current market value price:

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

cheers , ill give that a whirl!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What year is the car 2005 or 2006?

Generally Peugeots have poor resale values I'm afraid, especially the petrol models.

bazz26 wrote: »
    What year is the car 2005 or 2006?

Generally Peugeots have poor resale values I'm afraid, especially the petrol models.

Sorry should have mentioned it! its a 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Why are you trading a 407 for a passat? Had a 07 passat as a company car for a while. It was'nt the most reliable vehicle (failed wheel bearing , electrical gremlins,very uncomfortable"sport suspension") I've ever had and as a place to spend a working day it came nowhere when compared to my previous mondeo. I would check out the new mondeo and try to drive it back to back with the passat. Then when you choose the mondeo -HAPPY motoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

groupb wrote: »
    Why are you trading a 407 for a passat?
    I'd have to agree, the 407 is a good car that's worth very little. Why trade an undervalued good car for an overvalued bad one? I'd keep the Peugeot and the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd definitly recommend the Passat. Father currently has a Comforline model, which as as much as u'd want. The highline has very little extra for the money. He has it since day one 2006 and hasn't had a problem with it, although he's not a fan of the six speed in the petrol models. If u could afford, and wanted a 5 speed, i'd recommend the 1.9 tdi, for resale as well(although) they are fairly loud... Just don't buy the baseline if u are buying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I've said it before and I'll say it again VAG are one of the best companies at marketing average products as "premium" brands. People are so taken in by this image that they do'nt even sample rival (superior) brands.

groupb wrote: »
    Why are you trading a 407 for a passat? Had a 07 passat as a company car for a while. It was'nt the most reliable vehicle (failed wheel bearing , electrical gremlins,very uncomfortable"sport suspension") I've ever had and as a place to spend a working day it came nowhere when compared to my previous mondeo. I would check out the new mondeo and try to drive it back to back with the passat. Then when you choose the mondeo -HAPPY motoring.

Basically , its to do with resale value as opposed to anything else. If i hold on to the peugeot for another year then i loose more money again. Im just cutting my losses now to be honest. The Peugeot 407 is a realy nice car and a nice drive although it is thirsty enough around the city, but i guess a 1.8 petrol engine will do that.

Ii did have a look at the new mondeo , it looks really nice shape etc. The dash looks a bit cheap though, a bit too silver for me, like the inside of a metal tin, that shiny and cheap looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

ice27 wrote: »
    Basically , its to do with resale value as opposed to anything else. If i hold on to the peugeot for another year then i loose more money again. Im just cutting my losses now to be honest. The Peugeot 407 is a realy nice car and a nice drive although it is thirsty enough around the city, but i guess a 1.8 petrol engine will do that.

Ii did have a look at the new mondeo , it looks really nice shape etc. The dash looks a bit cheap though, a bit too silver for me, like the inside of a metal tin, that shiny and cheap looking.

Unfortuntely you seem to be in the market for a segment of car (family saloon/mass manufacturer/petrol) that suffers very heavily from depreciation (don't know if you are going for a petrol or diesel Passat). Personally I wouldn't touch a Peugeot or a Passat but that's your business...:)

Look at the values similar 407s are making on Carzone than subtract a few grand. Maybe someone in the trade can best advise what % you should be contracting??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I had a 06 Passat which I bought new for €35,000. It was the 1.9tdi sportline with a couple of extras. 25k miles on the clock when I traded it in.
    I traded it in recently against a c-class (avantgarde) and I got €26,800 in the trade in. It lost over 8k in less than 2 yrs...

As a drive, I found it very boring. Mine was reliable. I never had a problem with it. Traded it because it wasn't really a nice place to be... I initially purchased it becasue of resale value but that backfired on me because I got rid of it early bacause I couldn'r be bothered living with it!!

Advertisement