Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom IP Allocation

Options
  • 05-11-2007 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Anyone know for certain about the relationship between Eircom IP allocation and city/county where you live?

I'm in Tramore and my reverse IP is b-ras2.chf.cork.eircom.net. So Google (for advertising purposes) thinks I'm in Cork.

I have a problem placing adverts on Google Adwords by county. I want to advertise in Waterford, Wexford and Kilkenny. While Google gives me that option, it effectively doesn't work because most people use Eircom. NTL and Smart Telecom show up as Waterford (I check IP on visitors to my site).

So I'm showing adverts in 'Cork' so they get shown in Waterford. Suspect they get seen in Kerry and maybe Limerick too.

Anyone have some inside info? Could someone with Eircom in Kerry, Limerick do a reverse check on IP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes Geo Location by IP is a bit unreliable. Sometimes not even the right country in the past with NTL & 3, but they fixed that.
    There is no way to fix it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Has anyone tried to compile an IP list for Ireland. I've found one, but it's not very accurate. At least when I randomly try to reverse IP I find inconsistencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Best bet is to encourage users to sign up on your website. Use their signup details to display ads depending on what country they say they are in.

Other than that there is no reliable way to do per county adverts.

Paul

It's the google ads I'm on about. Not ads on my website. Definitely a need for someone to compile a proper geoip database in Ireland. Anyone want to help if I have a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

It would be pretty futile.

Esat recently got their mits on some new IP's and its been making me show up as being in Holland, London, New York and my favourite, ERROR :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Im not sure what google use, but at work we use http://www.maxmind.com for country, they have a city version too. Not sure how reliable or up to date they are as ips change hands so frequently. Maxmind release updates once a month

I have the free version of Maxmind downloaded recently. It has errors like 'Park' is a city in Ireland where as in fact if you do a reverse IP check it might be 'Taurus Bus Park' and it takes the last word of the address as the city. Another city example was 'Tower', on investigation the IP was allocated to Tower Records. 'America' is even a city in Ireland.

Not sure what the commercial version has. Would you like to check my IP 86.45.154.89?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

oh well its good for privacy. nobody knows wehre you live that way

Advertisement