Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish broadband with Ps3 (not working)

Options
  • 05-11-2007 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

i need a bit of help..!! i have irish broadband.. i have the internet config set up on ps3 (ip address ect.) but anytime i try to connect to the playstation network it says "failed" or when i get on it says "error you have been signed out of the playstation network 8002AA08 " does anybody get or had the same problem.. a mate of mine had the smae problem but he was eircom and he turned of the firewall on the router but i dont know how or if i can do the same

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Are you on DSL?

Yeah I can't use it either. And I've tried everything on my end. Most of the time it times out or I get error message 8002AD23. I assume its got something to do with their traffic shaping. Although they deny its their fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

Do you have a wireless or DSL connection?

I used to get that a lot. I have a wireless connection with Net1 (Because its the only provider in my area) and I often get booted off the PSN or cant connect at all because of long ping times and just a very slow connection. I heard somewhere that if you have a ping or over 130ms you will not be able to connect.

I had awful problems when the PS3 came out first but it seems ok now, Still get disconnected now and then from Resistance though which can be very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

If you guys are going through a router try reducing it's MTU size to around 1350. Should help and keep pings down. IBB don't traffic shape btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

What version of software is on the PS3? It should be 1.93.

If you have a lesser version, then you can download v1.93 via a PC onto a USB key or burn it to a dvd and load it that way.

Achilles wrote: »
    If you guys are going through a router try reducing it's MTU size to around 1350. Should help and keep pings down. IBB don't traffic shape btw.

Yeah that does nothing

• Advertisement

Pacifico wrote: »
    Yeah that does nothing

I beg to differ, do a google search about how many people it's helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

There's a another thread about this already in the Playstation forum by eoinaldhino http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055177557

This is more than likely an issue with the PS3 and Playstation Network, but we need more info first
    • Are you using a router? if so what make of router? There are issues relating to UPnP with certain routers like Linksys and the PS3.
    • Is the ps3 connected directly to the IBB connection or through the router?
    • Are you using the ps3 wirelessly or wired?
    • Is the PS3 on the latest firmware?
    • When you get disconnected can you still access the internet through the PS3 web browser? this would point more towards to an issue with the PSN itself. Can you also access the internet with the PC ok?
    • What type of IBB connection are you using? i.e. Ripwave, Breeze or DSL? Ripwave isn't suited to online gaming, Breeze should be fine it's a great service, can't comment on DSL but I assume it's no different to Eircom for reliablity/speeds

Check out this guide on setting up PS3 networking http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=93596
    Thread on the PS forums about Login issues - http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=156450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭_PCahill_

Hey everyone!

I'm a IBB Breeze customer as well have am having the same PSN problems. I've been trying to figure it out for a while now, and was originally thinking it was a router problem and spent ages trying to sort it out. (With no luck).

I'm getting regular disconnects, error codes: 8002AD23 and 8002A548. From searching around the web, these seem to mean nothing more than "general network error".

Anyway, cutting a long story short....I ended up disconnecting my router, and connecting the PS3 directly into the IBB Breeze ethernet cable and setting the PS3 up with the appropriate settings. (When you do this the PS3 becomes NAT Type 1). Even this doesn't fix it...it really looks like its an issue with Irish Broadband.

I should also add that it used to work much better for me 1-2months ago...still got disconnects but then it was about 1 per hour...where as now even signing in to PSN may take 5-10 attempts.

The PSN never seems to disconnect when downloading from Playstation store (or if it disconnects my downloads are not affected). And that my ping times are pretty good - I get 26-30ms pings with the SCEE Warhawk servers.

To me now it's really looking like IBB are doing something to the UDP network traffic (I guess that all PSN downloads are TCP based and all TCP traffic on my laptop is also fine).

In case this helps - although i rarely use torrents...I seem to be capped to about 10kb/sec downloading and no uploading caps. I did some tests on it and I seem to be able to upload at 200Kbytes/sec and dl at only 10.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be great!! Feel kinda hard done by after buying some online games and not being able to play them/been disconnected so often.

Thanks in advance

What firmware is your PS3 running?

Thanks for the reply,

Its 1.93.

I can connect (sometimes) and play games (sometimes) before I get disconnected so I have no problem in downloading the FW updates themselves. Downloads have never failed for me - its only the connectivity for games and PSN store

• Advertisement

I beg to differ, do a google search about how many people it's helped.

Do you work for IBB by any chance?

And that did noting for me.
    _PCahill_ wrote:
    I'm a IBB Breeze customer as well have am having the same PSN problems. I've been trying to figure it out for a while now, and was originally thinking it was a router problem and spent ages trying to sort it out. (With no luck).

I'm getting regular disconnects, error codes: 8002AD23 and 8002A548. From searching around the web, these seem to mean nothing more than "general network error".

Anyway, cutting a long story short....I ended up disconnecting my router, and connecting the PS3 directly into the IBB Breeze ethernet cable and setting the PS3 up with the appropriate settings. (When you do this the PS3 becomes NAT Type 1). Even this doesn't fix it...it really looks like its an issue with Irish Broadband.

I should also add that it used to work much better for me 1-2months ago...still got disconnects but then it was about 1 per hour...where as now even signing in to PSN may take 5-10 attempts.

The PSN never seems to disconnect when downloading from Playstation store (or if it disconnects my downloads are not affected). And that my ping times are pretty good - I get 26-30ms pings with the SCEE Warhawk servers.

To me now it's really looking like IBB are doing something to the UDP network traffic (I guess that all PSN downloads are TCP based and all TCP traffic on my laptop is also fine).

In case this helps - although i rarely use torrents...I seem to be capped to about 10kb/sec downloading and no uploading caps. I did some tests on it and I seem to be able to upload at 200Kbytes/sec and dl at only 10.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be great!! Feel kinda hard done by after buying some online games and not being able to play them/been disconnected so often.

Thanks in advance

Yes it is definitely something IBB are doing. Heres what Ive tried:

Changed MTU size.
    Put the PS3 in a DMZ.
    Tried wireless.
    Brought the PS3 to a friends house who also has IBB DSL, a different router/network configuration, and i get the EXACT same errors.
    Then brought it to a house with EIRCOM and it worked flawlessly without changing any settings.

We are all on the 1.93 firmware as you can't even attempt to sign in to the PSN without it.

Waiting now for the 6 months to be up, and its back to Eircom

Changed MTU size.
    Put the PS3 in a DMZ.
    Tried wireless.
    Brought the PS3 to a friends house who also has IBB DSL, a different router, and network configuration, and i get the EXACT same errors.
    Then brought it to a house with EIRCOM and it worked flawlessly without changing any settings.

We are all on the 1.93 firmware as you can't even attempt to sign in to the PSN without it.

I'm thinking the same as you - as I already said I plugged it in directly without using a router and got the identical problems - its definitely not a router problem. I am quite happy with the IBB service apart from this...I get great upload/download speeds when using the web. Having no traffic limits is also handy for me as I need to transfer large files to and from work every now and then.

Unfortunately though I'm 3 months into the IBB contract so I can't just switch provider..I'm happy to stay with IBB but really just want this problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 eoinaldhino

Changed MTU size.
    Put the PS3 in a DMZ.
    Tried wireless.
    Brought the PS3 to a friends house who also has IBB DSL, a different router/network configuration, and i get the EXACT same errors.

ive the lastest firmwire
    I only have 1 month left then its getting F**ked back at them, i have noticed the crap torrent D.L speeds also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

My ps2 would never work the past while i just changed the mtu today and now its perfect... and also changed to port 80 in utorrent

Well I stand corrected!

I had already tried the MTU size at 1350 and it did nothing. Its now at 1300 and I haven't been disconnected from the PSN in about an hour :D Hopefully it'll stay this way!

Great success! ;)

Thanks Achilles

Edit: nevermind, gone again :mad:

I wasnt talking about IBB specifically. Basically I have a few mates that have the PS3 and one or two with a 360 (myself included although Im on NTL) and when trying to find an answer online I found a few problems relating to Verizon in the US. They all mentioned changing the MTU size to around 1300 or 1350 and this seemed to work for me on NTL, wasnt getting DCed from Live anymore. Tried it with mates with the PS3 (one of whom is on IBB Breeze... not sure of the speed) and it stopped him getting DCed from the PSN. Just basing my advice on experience.

Seriously google PSN or Live network connections, youll turn up a fair few forum posts around the world that mention this as a solution.

Apologise for the lack of proper punctuation in this post... Im using an Italian laptop at the minute with alternate keyboard layout... yeah dun ask :P

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

I've had a PS3 on my IBB Breeze Connection at home.
    Works fine. Played for hours, even hosted a big game with 26 players.
    Not a single glitch.

Can't tell you the details though (firmware version), as it wasn't my PS3, a friend just came over with it.

All on the default MTU of 1500, going through a NAT firewall.

How recently was that? My connection used to be kind of ok (rare disconnects) until recently where now I can't even connect.

I did some tests on my connection last night, sending traffic from another Irish ISP to my IBB Breeze connection, I used the PS3 network ports, with UDP packets as most games require and over 80% of the traffic was not received at the IBB Breeze end. While I'd expect some of the network traffic to get lost, 80% not getting through indicates that something has gone wrong along the way.....and my connection to IBB itself is great- I can get 4-5ms pings off IBB. I guess all of this could boil down to some stuff not being configured properly in the IBB base station i'm connecting to. Gonna give them a bell later and see if any progress can be made.

I guess if IBB were network shaping as a lot of people seem to suspect that there would be a lot more people on boards.ie with PS3 network issues. Could really just be an error in some of the IBB base stations or something! Hopefully it can be fixed anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well I'm using 360 over XBox Live and I've had no problems in general. One or two nights I've lost connection but usually steady as a rock.

Would PS3 and Xbox Live requirements for broadband configuration really be that different?

I would have thought the biggest different might be which ports they use.

_PCahill_ wrote: »
    I did some tests on my connection last night, sending traffic from another Irish ISP to my IBB Breeze connection, I used the PS3 network ports, with UDP packets as most games require and over 80% of the traffic was not received at the IBB Breeze end. While I'd expect some of the network traffic to get lost, 80% not getting through indicates that something has gone wrong along the way.....and my connection to IBB itself is great- I can get 4-5ms pings off IBB. I guess all of this could boil down to some stuff not being configured properly in the IBB base station i'm connecting to. Gonna give them a bell later and see if any progress can be made.

Sounds interesting, let us know how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

It was about 3 weeks back.
    Your best bet is to give them a call, get them to check out your radio and their tower.
    Is your PS3 connecting over WiFi? or are you using an ethernet cable?

Im connecting directly to the breeze ethernet line....no router...no wireless - wanted to make sure it was a IBB problem and not a problem at my end.

The Firmware 2.00 (released today) doesn't help with this problem at all.

Gave Irish Broadband a call this morning trying to sort this out. Think I made some progress with it....I can sign in now at least without loads of "network timeout" errors. However I am still getting some disconnects - but all in all it seems a lot better.

Am gonna test it a bit throughout the day and see how it goes - Normally I get home from work in the evenings and then is when it never works for me (dont normally get to try to play it in the afternoons) so I'll see what happens later....fingers crossed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭zorch

Guys,

What Ports is the PS3 to PSN working on - presume it's UDP traffic?
    will test it on my connection

Thanks

I'm not sure what the PS3 uses for outgoing traffic (don't have to open ports for it)...but PSN to PS3 will use 3658. I think older firmware versions (very old versions...) used different ports.

Now anyway, I can log into PSN and play warhawk with just 3658 UDP only.

Theres a lot of info on the web about other ports being required...and I know different games use different ports, but if I enable uPnP I can see what ports the PS3 actually wants open to log into PSN and PS3 - Which is just 3658 on the current firmware.

IBB are not completely blocking UDP traffic...just most of it seems to get lost on their network.

I'm not sure what the PS3 uses for outgoing traffic (don't have to open ports for it)...but PSN to PS3 will use 3658. I think older firmware versions (very old versions...) used different ports.

Now anyway, I can log into PSN and play warhawk with just 3658 UDP only.

Theres a lot of info on the web about other ports being required...and I know different games use different ports, but if I enable uPnP I can see what ports the PS3 actually wants open to log into PSN and PS3 - Which is just 3658 on the current firmware.

IBB are not completely blocking UDP traffic...just most of it seems to get lost on their network.

Sorry this may have been mentioned before but what is your setup exactly? PS3 running through a router then to the breeze or are you directly connecting to it?

I have tried with using a router and without using a router. I know a lot of people seem to have problems when using routers so I tried connecting directly to breeze and got/get the identical problems.

I have tried with using a router and without using a router. I know a lot of people seem to have problems when using routers so I tried connecting directly to breeze and got/get the identical problems.

I'm not 100% familiar with the PS3's network setup as I have a 360 myself... are there any options within the network setup pages of the PS3 itself to reduce the MTU size of the connection?

Yeh it has the option, I have played about with the lower values for it 1200, 1300, 1350, 1400, etc.. doesn't improve my connection though.

The connection seems a good bit better since I called IBB last week, but it's still not perfect. Before I could rarely connect with all the "network timeout" errors, where as now I can generally connect - might get a few network timeouts first but it will generally work. I get less disconnects now - about one per 30mins-hour. Still would like to make it better, but have run out of ideas at this stage!

If anyone has any ideas on anything I could try it would be great! I've tried MTU and that, no luck there! I get these disconnects without using a router so it's not a wifi/local network error.

Hrmm...

Well I have heard of alot of trouble with the European servers lately, is it possible to connect a European PS3 to the American PSN? I would assume so... somehow.

• Advertisement

I have seen some hacks about connecting to the US servers - to download different game demos early and that. Surely the European PSN servers can't be that bad - I mean, there isn't a single day when I havn't had issues - I know when it was first launched the PSN was a bit dodgy, but the PSN really must have had a single day in the last 1-2months when the servers worked. There would be a lot of v annoyed people online if it was as unreliable as it is for me.

I still think it's an IBB problem - just as I get under 10kbytes downspeed off bittorrent, while HTTP traffic will typically be over 200kbytes/sec. While they may not be throttling traffic something is definitely amiss with my connection.

I guess I could try to tunnel my ps3 traffic to an outside connection but would rather not have all of the hassle of doing it - esp since it would just add some lag.

Maybe it boils down to the distance between me an my IBB base station (4km - but has perfect line of sight)? then again...I get great ping speeds off ibb (5ms to base station and about 9ms to irish internet sites).

Am really puzzled on this one!

Advertisement