Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How NOT to use thermal paste [56k warning]

Options
  • 05-11-2007 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

EPIC FAIL !

nuffdzhxfwqkcbac2wqb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

If he uses vapochill or mach then it is ok!
    manual.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

That's fine:confused: It looks like silicone or dialectic grease to me tho...not thermal paste

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

What in the name of God were you doing? Insulating??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

since the pic is good quailty i dont think its antis :D

maby he saw it on the net ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

awhir wrote: »

:D lol... so true, if its not blurry and taken, by what looks like, one of those first gen sharp camera phones, then its not anti's :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nah definitely not a first gen, too high res for that. Looks like a basic quality 2mp phone to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

awhir wrote: »

maby he say it on the net ?

:rolleyes: QFT

HavoK wrote: »
    Nah definitely not a first gen, too high res for that. Looks like a basic quality 2mp phone to me...

*slaps forhead* wayda not catch the drift their havok :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah just noticed...too late for an edit. :(

2382.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I've seen worse then this before (in a past life sell this ****) but the idiot that time used "Arctic Silver" which is conductive.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It is " thermal paste " Which is conductive, so putting it on the socket would kill the cpu and board. If you look around the cpu socket you can see where it has caught fire.

And yes, i found this on the net. 4Chan to be precise. Some guy came in asking how to put on thermal paste, and he was told to do this. He came back on a few hours later saying his pc booted for a few seconds, and some smoke came out then it died. The replier said :

" thats perfectly normal, the thermal paste is undergoing a chemical reaction to make it more efficient "

The bloke accepted that and then came on a few days later going ape ****. where he found a old board and cpu is beyond me.

And afaik, when you are going vapo, you insulate yes, using something like vaseline, which is non conductive. And not using thermal paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Anti wrote: »
    It is " thermal paste " Which is conductive, so putting it on the socket would kill the cpu and board. If you look around the cpu socket you can see where it has caught fire.

The vast majority of Thermal Pastes are not electrically conductive, only the metallic based ones are (Artic Silver type). I had Phase Change for years and used various compounds for insulation, including Thermal Paste. Vaseline tended to break down into a liquid after a few cycles of heating and freezing.

The based way to do it was the Prometeia way, seal the entire area around the CPU from Air. They supplied the plastic clamp, neoprene and seal string (sticky rubber goo) fitting for it. No air, no condensation.

Anti wrote: »
    BOFH_139 wrote: »
    I've seen worse then this before (in a past life sell this ****) but the idiot that time used "Arctic Silver" which is conductive.......
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    The vast majority of Thermal Pastes are not electrically conductive, only the metallic based ones are (Artic Silver type).

I'm actually amazed at you guys, aren't you's supposed to know your stuff?

Source: Arctic Silver
    Not Electrically Conductive:
    Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
    (While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Its a common urban legend that AS5 is electrically conductive. Even though they warn its capacitive, its about as capacitive as common dust, or any other NON silver based TIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Its a common urban legend that AS5 is electrically conductive. Even though they warn its capacitive, its about as capacitive as common dust, or any other NON silver based TIM.

Just out of interest: what actually caused the burning/failure? If the paste is not conductive?

Was this due to the fact the paste was smeared on in such a large quantity that it acted as an insulter and caused the chip to over heat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The paste was conductive.

Advertisement