Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned, banned and banned.

• 05-11-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

Just came to back today from our week off and was shocked to discover 3 sites i use/browse, all banned :mad: and re-directing to a nice custom blocked page integrated into the dkit website template, not the usual 'red alert' type page we got before.

digg, meebo and myspace - all banned.

what i can't understand is why bebo/facebook aren't banned if myspace is?

also, why is meebo banned? and digg - for the love of god, not digg, it's what keeps me from going brain dead during the 2 or 3 hours gaps we might have between classes :rolleyes:

ok, it doesn't take a genius to bypass all this, but that's not the point. If myspace, digg and meebo go down, why not take bebo and youtube, gmail etc down with them..

obviously the idea behind it is to increase productivity (that won't happen, it will just annoy people and they'll find a way around it, which will result in the internet police playing catch up to ban all the proxies and monitor things tightly), so if that is indeed the basis for banning these sites, why not ban the lot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

lecterurs had them unblock bebo because they felt it was wrong to stop students from socially networking and they unblocked youtube as aot of students were using it as a resource.

i never heard of digg or meebo

just after looking them up and digg seems like it probably isn't monitered?? could be wrong just had a glance.

meebo is a great idea though and i cant see the point in blocking it, it must be taking up too much bandwidth when its used??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

well they can't block Gmail because it's the primary account for a lot of students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Well the reality is they can't block anything, but it's the gesture that's annoying.

I can understand the thinking behind it... but myspace is basically a bigger version of bebo. Virtually the same thing. Why ban one and not the other?

Inconsistency. If this was a premiership referee red carding a player for a foul and turning a blind eye to the exact same foul at a later stage, their head would be on the chopping board and they'd be dropped to a lower league.

Digg is not somewhere you go to chat to people and play games, it's a great news site aimed at the older/more mature age group, not a self promoting teen site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Where are you trying to access these sites? Bebo and YouTube is only blocked in the library, AFAIK. In the computer labs there are no restrictions. Well, this is what I realised anyway.

It's strange that digg is blocked. Although it's a huge site on a worldwide scale, I didn't really think that it have a huge influence in Ireland, neverming the younger students.....

It's a load of bo!!ox tbh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh i never heard of digg before.....

they blocked a few new sites today it seems i heard people giving out about that warez site being blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

they were all banned in the computer labs by the way, never tried the library, assume it's the same :cool:

Ah well, i guess that's it. No-one will ever be able to access those sites ever again from DKIT.

Students will spend more time studying, get better results, and we'll all be looking back praising this life changing decision with PhD's under our belts. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

bebo should be banned.
    I took a few Learning Centre classes last week and one of the students attending spent more time on damn bebo than he did on programming. He had to be told several times to shut it down.
    P!$$ed me right off :mad:
    But yeah I see your point, if you are going to ban one social networking site you should ban them all.

I suppose you could work on your book review thingy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Damn, that's annoying. I don't use bebo/myspace much anymore, but I use meebo :( It's silly only banning myspace and not bebo too. I can see why they did it though, especially in the library.

BTW, was bebo unblocked because the lecturers asked it to be..? This just doesn't make sense!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

IIRC, Bebo is actually bigger in Ireland than MySpace.

Hey, here's an idea: the admins are trying to figure out HOW you're circumventing their blocks ;)

Don't reckon so, they copped on to a good lot of our block-passers last year...
    I actually think you're right too, as far as the college goes, I hardly ever see anyone on myspace there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Next they'll be trying to block boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I accessed bebo in the computer labs a few weeks ago.....Not through a proxy or anything, just bebo.com and I was away....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You gotta be loving the computing labs.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Next they'll be trying to block boards.

Not if we're using it much (conspicuously) in class... hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

well where i work everthing is banned. eve bcc new is banned!! the only thing that is banned it this, and this will be banned again the end of the month when they run of reports and see that i was using it PAH!

Ha, same here, I can't use teh interweb for anything fun at all at work... Not even boards!

yeah like they xpect us to work!! wtf!:p

Or to stare quietly out the window/at the wall in between our small periods of actual work! It's madness I tells ya! :D

Merrick wrote: »
    Or to stare quietly out the window/at the wall in between our small periods of actual work! It's madness I tells ya! :D

i find staring out the window very upsetting, to the point that i start getting evnious at the people walk up and down. and then i start slagging them off !! altho it can be very funny if somebody trips over and hope nobody seen them. at that point i make sure they know i say them !haha!:D

Well at least you can see a road, I only get a view of a church tower and trees :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yeah i do have a better view than you i guess!! today there putting up the chirstmas lights outside, with on of them cherry pickers(is that what there called!) and it keeps going beep beep beep .. its driving me mad!

Christmas lights already..? Damn...
    In town?

yeah dam chirstmas lights, but loads of shops around me have all there lights up, santas and tinstle and crap in there shop --our shop is not left put up anything!! the shop across the road was selling christmas cards at the start of september- waaaaay to early!

Meh, I suppose tis only to be expected now. Sure Dunnes stared selling Christmas stuff before the Halloween stuff....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In my work, nothing is banned.
    BOOYAH!

Meh, I suppose tis only to be expected now. Sure Dunnes stared selling Christmas stuff before the Halloween stuff....

ha and the funny thing is people actually buy the stuff!! pah ..!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    BOOYAH!

well isnt that great..... for you!! go back and do some work:p

BOOYAH!

Well, good for you..... :(

Well, good for you..... :(

nah not good for him he just a boaster! pah!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

BOOYAH!

me + 1 :D

No Internet blocks back in my DKIT days... :cool:

I would have thought that if they were going to block any social networking sites that myspace might be the prime candidate as it generally has a lot more bandwidth intensive features such as streaming music and videos....

To be honest, the only thing in colleges that should be banned are warez and pr0n. Everything else I reckon is fair game.

In classes though if some eegit is surfing the net when they are supposed to be doing work, then the lecturer has every right to give him a smack across the head :p

Advertisement