Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Future University: LC'ers 2007/2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I know so many girls in my year wanting to go to Mary I, this country is going to be flooded with primary teachers its unbelievable, nothing id hate more, Mary I is nice but its really old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Come to Mary I..:D

Mary Dry, Virgin Megastore etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd hate to go to Dublin, there and Cork...

UL all the way, it's close enough to Galway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I don't care where any of you go but I've just started in Trinity and it's great fwiw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

Ibid wrote: »
    Do you judge football teams by the quality of their stadium or the players on the field?

thats not a very good comparison as your success doesnt rely on the other people in your class, it relies on the lecturers, the facilities etc. having good classmates is not gonna mean you'll do better in the college. whereas in football the better your team the better you do. if it was a sport like tennis, then the better the facilities the better you do and whether the other tennis players are good or not is not really gonna effect you. so tennis would be a better comparison. so the college facilities would help you more than the other students in your course would help you and its not wrong to want to go to a college because of the facilities. whatever makes you happy... and rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Believe me: Ibid is right. The most important asset of any college is the quality of its students. College is very competitive, so the others in your class will drive you on, even if you are friends with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

cson wrote: »
    Mary Dry, Virgin Megastore etc etc
    WOW..iv never heard them before!!:rolleyes:

If I could do my course in any college i think id pick to do it in UL..not too far from home, great sports facilities, nice campus, great night life.
    UCC to close to home for my liking:D
    Wouldn't move to Dublin.
    Wouldn't mind NUIG..Galway lovely place..bit far from Cork tho..

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    WOW..iv never heard them before!!:rolleyes:

Hence the "etc etc" I used in my post. I would use the rolly eyes smiley here but I loathe it. Ah feck it I might as well > :rolleyes:

On topic; Come to UL if you're into sports I'd say!

UL!

Woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

hopefully Arts in UCD, media studies in NUIM or even Journalism somewhere. Looking like UCD though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

jaycummins wrote: »
    thats not a very good comparison as your success doesnt rely on the other people in your class, it relies on the lecturers,

It does depend on your class, too. If you come first in your class of a pile of dummies, nobody will care. Also the quality of the staff (not so much their teaching ability; but this is going beyond the scope of the LC forum) are the players on the pitch, not the stadium.

My point was institutions are based on their people, not their facilities. If you want to pick a university - where you study for three/four years - based on who will be standing beside you in the gym; that's up to you. You might want to consider the reputation of that university first, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

It depends, for me last year it could only be Trinity or DCU, in the end my CAO had 10 Trinity, but DCU was a serious option for a while.

I think DCU is good because it offers some unique courses especially in the Business and Computer areas. Also some of the courses are pretty much identical wherever you go. For example, I just started BESS in Trinity and my mate's doing Business in DCU, he does nearly exactly the same stuff as me, plus it was lower points.

But I'm in Trinity now and have to act like a Trinity student, so Trinity is great, center of Dublin, great courses, great international reputation, great mix of people, great nightclubs and entertainment, great college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 the-breeno

UL for sure, greatest campus and everyone I know who goes there says its the grestest fun. Still not sure what course I want to do there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

It depends, for me last year it could only be Trinity or DCU, in the end my CAO had 10 Trinity, but DCU was a serious option for a while.

I think DCU is good because it offers some unique courses especially in the Business and Computer areas. Also some of the courses are pretty much identical wherever you go. For example, I just started BESS in Trinity and my mate's doing Business in DCU, he does nearly exactly the same stuff as me, plus it was lower points.

But I'm in Trinity now and have to act like a Trinity student, so Trinity is great, center of Dublin, great courses, great international reputation, great mix of people, great nightclubs and entertainment, great college!

Trinity have nightclubs now?

carlowboy wrote: »
    Trinity have nightclubs now?

Trinity Rooms (Trooms) ftw :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

^^:D

Oh how I miss the place..damn placement!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

the unis up north are still far better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

regob wrote: »
    the unis up north are still far better
    How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 x-Shaz-x

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    No you've got it backwards - it's U-C-D.
    University College Dublin.

there is actually a college called DCU - Dublin City University;):D;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

That joke went right over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

DCU to the MAX! Live near enough.

artane eh........bad thing is no buses, so theres like a half an hour walk. Sometimes in the rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

x-Shaz-x wrote: »
    there is actually a college called DCU - Dublin City University;):D;):D

Whoooooooosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

Ibid wrote: »
    They're in another country.
    Are you serious? No, they're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I know so many girls in my year wanting to go to Mary I, this country is going to be flooded with primary teachers its unbelievable, nothing id hate more, Mary I is nice but its really old fashioned.

a bit belated, but I really want to stress that a fifth of all people travelling on my bus are going to Drumcondra college (St.Pat's I think). Perhaps that will come useful, as there will be so many kids to teach in the future.

I'm in the college already. One tip, if you're going to study in Faculty of Engineering in DIT, be prepared to work your arse off and stay on top of your stuff. Procrastination and missed lectures will screw you up pretty badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I'm hoping to do computer science in Trinity. If I don't get in, I'll probably do a course in National College of Ireland on business information systems or software systems.

I always wanted to do something computer/business based anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

They're not dropping AFAIK, they're just fixed at 355.

There's little to no chance of them rising though, there're only about 30 in my year and there're 65 places....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hen-Roc

Rough ideas so far:
    1. Sports Science- UL
    2. Architectural Technology - CIT
    3. [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Digital Media Design[/FONT]- UL
    4. Multimedia- CIT
    5. BIS- CIT
    6. Nautical Science- NMCI

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

I'm probably going to go to UCC. only an hour from home! I want to study Civil eng but the points are 520 :(

The points are 455 im Galway :) I've never been to Galway though so I know nothing about the college....I'm going to the open day thin thurday!

Advertisement