Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #13 - Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt2: Scenes From a Memory

• 05-11-2007 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

This was the first Dream Theater album I got, and was I ever blown away!

Honestly, I count this as one of the best metal albums ever written.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Maybe it's bad form for me to start a thread on a negative note but I've never seen the attraction of Dream Theatre. The first few minutes of "A Change of Seasons" (I think that's the title) are excellent but aside from that, the rest of the song and anything else I've heard by them has been fairly dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

First DT album I got was Images and Words.It was actually quite a few DT albums before I picked up Scenes from a Memory. I had always thought them amazing but when I listened to this album I was absolutely amazed again. This is a mind blowingly good album! It has such variation and amzing songwriting and musicianship.

I'd probably put it as one of my,if not my favourite album.

Favourite songs on it are probably Beyond This Life,Finally Free and The Spirit Carries On which I'm particularly fond of for the lyrics. Very uplifting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I fully endorse any Dream Theater product. Pure genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Scenes from a Memory is outstandingly good. +1 from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

First DT album I got was Awake, this was the second, and for some reason I didn't like it at first.

Then I saw a lot of people (i.e. our resident Mr. Hungus) saying how it was a great album, I gave it another few listens. Then another few. Then another few. Then another few. Ad infinitum.
    Once I actually listened to it properly I fell in love with it, and the whole story behind it.

Highlights for me are Home and Dance of Eternity, but it's mostly gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Could never get sick of this album.
    Its just brilliant on so many levels!!!!
    It doesnt have a bad song on there
    Prob my fave Dream Theater album...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've been kind of neglecting DT for a long time now. I used to listen to them quite a bit but the only album I can listen to properly anymore is Images And Words. I've no idea why, I used to love them but they just bore me now. When I got their new album I thought that would rekindle my interest in them, but I think I listened to it once all the way through since I got it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

sounds like Queensryche

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

+1 from me definitely!
    I got into Dream Theater in 1999, when this album was first released.. My friend gave me a copy of it & originally I didn't like it & thought it was a bit strange.. However after a few listens I got totally hooked and bought everything else they'd released. Went to see them in London in 2000 and was totally blown away.. Have seen them a good 6 or 7 times now & still love them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

Went to see dream theater in festival Hall, Melbourne last night. Brilliant show, although i never took to the last 2 albums and they played alot of material off them but metropolis and the classics also featured prominatly. They did play for 3 and a half hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

One of my favourite albums ever, I love listening to it the whole way through, eyes closed. Ya get taken away into the story!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

This is also my first dt album, I had previously worshipped them on YouTube, and it just blew my mind. i listened to it constantly from Dublin to Ennis on the way home, and its just pure class. Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

yeah would have to agree,,,goood album by goood musicians....ok its not - "you know who!!" ...but....its a veryyy goood album,...me likes it...and plays it pretty regular....not bad for a RUSH fanatic heheh "salute DT"!!!

ciao amigos.....Baggio......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Baggio wrote: »
    yeah would have to agree,,,goood album by goood musicians....ok its not - "you know who!!" ...but....its a veryyy goood album,...me likes it...and plays it pretty regular....not bad for a RUSH fanatic heheh "salute DT"!!!

ciao amigos.....Baggio......

Easy on the ellipses my friend! :D

Definitely an awesome album though, and I'm glad you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Sorry to drag up an old AOTW thread, but I just got this album and I have to say, it's something else! Definitely my favourite DT album out of the ones I have... TOT, Octavarium, SC and IAW. It's like five times better than all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Just got into Octavarium, might give this album a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Damn, I thought there was a new Album of The Week put up a day early or something!

Anyway, I can't say I'm much of a Dream Theatre fan, but I have to say that's a great video, some fantastic musicianship being displayed by everyone, not just the guitar player :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

yup defo their best album by far.. love it so much, 2nd only to Operation Mindcrime, Queensryche. Thought for a minute it had got Album of the Week again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Am I the only one who didn't figure out that Nicholas was Victoria until the last few lines "no longer torn in two"?

I thought he Julian through the entire album up until those lines. Was his being Victoria meant to be a twist or am I just an awful dumb fcuk?

Advertisement