Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick one: who pays tax buyer or seller?

Options
  • 05-11-2007 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one: I'm selling a car who's tax ran out last week and the girl buying it off me wants me to tax it for three months for her before she collects this week. We've agreed a figure on the car and I really cant go any lower. Who should pay for this? I cant really afford to tax it for her aswell as give her the price we agreed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

You could take a chance at her paying as you probably didn't advertise with tax.

It's all upto you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Taxing the car for her is exactly the same as selling it to her at a lower price. And bear in mind that what you can afford is irrelevant, your job as seller is to get as much as possible for the car.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Elessar wrote: »
    I cant really afford to tax it for her aswell as give her the price we agreed.

As Anan1 said, paying the tax is essentially giving her a discount. Tell her you'll pay the tax, but that you'll add it to the selling price :D. TBH, if you've had other interested buyers, I'd let this one go if you really need to achieve a particular price for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I guess you're right, I don't like the thought of paying for her to drive the car.

Thinking about it, I cant actually tax the car for her because I'm working during the tax office opening hours. Are Gardai very strict about just out-of-tax cars that have just been sold, or is there a grace period or something? (I can give her the renewal form)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Be like the one I bought my car off, say nothing :rolleyes: Imagine my horror / embarrasement when I went to tax the car.

"Eh, there's a month arrears" - "What?, I only bought it last week....".
    The cheeky bitch......

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote: »
    Be like the one I bought my car off, say nothing :rolleyes: Imagine my horror / embarrasement when I went to tax the car.

"Eh, there's a month arrears" - "What?, I only bought it last week....".
    The cheeky bitch......
    ?? You're not liable for arrears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Technically if you own the vehicle on the first of the month you are liable for the tax for that month. Since you can't tax it for a month, 3 months is the minimum, the buyer has a case for you to tax it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But then again, if you post off for the tax (rather than taxing online or by calling into the MT office) it won't be registered in her name as there will be a week or two delay before the log book or cert is returned to you.

Taxing a car you're selling is like filling it with petrol. Unless otherwise agreed, there is absolutely no obligation, moral or otherwise, to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I wouldnt bother, as said above it would be like filling it with petrol, tell her you will tax it if she pays for it, reason being that she wont be able to tax it for about 2 weeks when the reg cert comes out.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The best thing to do is for her to wait to tell her to change the ownership in December as the tax will be ok in November and by changing in December she only has to pay from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote: »
    Taxing a car you're selling is like filling it with petrol. Unless otherwise agreed, there is absolutely no obligation, moral or otherwise, to do it.

A moral obligation is a subjective opinion surely?

Personally I'd ensure that it's either taxed until the end of the month, or adjust the price accordingly to allow a bit of a grace period for the new owner.

eoin_s wrote: »
    A moral obligation is an objective opinion surely?

Personally I'd ensure that it's either taxed until the end of the month, or adjust the price accordingly to allow a bit of a grace period for the new owner.
    I'm guessing you mean subjective?;) Tax, fuel and insurance are all running costs. If she was leasing the car from the OP then maybe..;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you mean subjective?;) Tax, fuel and insurance are all running costs. If she was leasing the car from the OP then maybe..;)

Yep, post edited. I'd still look after the buyer nonetheless, likewise I always fill the tank. At the very least, I'd make sure it was taxed until the registration came through. Maybe no obligation to do so, but it's nice to be nice and all that.

Yep, post edited. I'd still look after the buyer nonetheless, likewise I always fill the tank. At the very least, I'd make sure it was taxed until the registration came through. Maybe no obligation to do so, but it's nice to be nice and all that.
    I have to say i'd fill the tank too. I wouldn't tax the car, though. Maybe i'm just not as nice as you.;)

A full tank and a month's tax would cost me about €100. I'd be happy to pay that as a good will gesture, especially if it meant being able to finalise a deal. It ain't easy selling privately these days - can't believe the amount of threads on this forum at the moment from people who just can't shift their motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

A full tank and a month's tax would cost me about €100. I'd be happy to pay that as a good will gesture, especially if it meant being able to finalise a deal. It ain't easy selling privately these days - can't believe the amount of threads on this forum at the moment from people who just can't shift their motors.

It very much depends on the cost of the car though, putting a full tank and 3 months tax into a car you are selling for €15-20k is a good will gesture, doing the same for a €1000 car is shooting yourself in the foot.

OP: Bottom line is that if you were clear that the tax was expired and a price was agreed upon based on that understandint then all the buyer is doing is haggling the price down by insisting on you paying the tax. If you are willing to sell for the price minus the tax then do it, otherwise say no.

Advertisement