Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I remove a CPU/Heatsink correctly

Options
  • 05-11-2007 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I have a machine (old Lidl/Targa AMD64 3200+ box), and the CPU has been really overheating lately. Normal operation (nothing taxing), is push the CPU temps up to the mid 70s, over 10degrees C above max limits we've read. This first came to our attention when the machine would lock up and then reboot.

Now we have the case open, we've managed to release the latches either side of the CPU that hold the heatsink on to the CPU socket on the mobo. We've also removed the screws for the CPU socket on the mobo. I know that the CPU socket has a ZIF lever, which is closed, but the problem as I see it is that the heatsink is above the CPU and covering our access to the ZIF lever. We cant simply yank up the heat sink because of the thermal paste that is holding it on top of the CPU. If we did, I would imaging that we would rip the CPU out of the socket and damage/remove the pins, wrecking the CPU and probably the motherboard socket also.

In our case the cooling system on our CPU is pants, and we need to upgrade it, but how the hell do we get the heatsink and fan off without wrecking the CPU and motherboard.

advTHANKSance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

No. There is a small lid over the sides of the CPU. Sounds confusing I know.

Gently prise the heatsink off, I've done it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Still not too sure what you mean. Do you mean that there is a lid underneath the heatsink that will prevent the CPU from being yanked out?

We notice that there is an orange film beneath the heatsink (visible on two opposite sides of the heatsink), would this be the lid you are reffering to, it looks to me like the CPU wafer (but I could be way off).

I have to laugh at this, because any upgrade guides that I've read in books or online simply say remove the heatsink clasps, and lift off the heatsink, then lift the ZIF arm and remove the CPU. God it would be a great world if it was that simple :)

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yes, exactly. The CPU wont be yanked out by pulling the heatsink out.

The method I am suggesting for removal of CPU is gently prise it off, by whatever means possible. As long as you dont pull with brute force you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Undo the heatsink & twist it off. Your chip is safe, locked there. You'll soon see when ya remove the heatsink. Hope ya got more thermal paste :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

We finally managed to remove, the heatsink, and low and behold there was the processor still attached, with the ZIF leaver slightly open. All pins are straight and intact and nothing looks damaged. Now even with everything removed from the motherboard, and we have full access to the fan/heatsink/cpu stack of components, we can still not budge the chip off the heatsink. This CPU is from an old Targa Visionary desktop (from Lidl), AMD64 3200+ (2.2Ghz, Socket 754). Instead of just having some thermal paste applied, it seems to have a thermal pad (or tape).

Following advice online, such as
    • Applying hair-dryer to heatsink fins to loosen the adhesive
    • Simply trying to twist the chip off the heatsink
    • Using acetone to remove the thermal paste
    • Use a thin blade to pry it off the heatsink
    • Use flat head scredriver to twist
    • Use thin wire to get it off

None of the above have worked!!. The only other bit of advice that we've been offered is to place the entire stack in a plastic bag and freeze it for a while to make the adhesive brittle. I mean in all fairness this has become a real joke of a task and shouldn't realistically IMO be this difficult. Must blood be spilt to separate these components? (too late ;))

All we've managed to do so far is remove a small bit of thermal paste from the perimeter of the chip, and scratch (slightly) the surface of the heatsink.

What else can we do?, at wits end here. We have more thermal paste ready to go if we can just get this sorted. We appreciate any help you can offer, as this PC is going to a good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wonder if they used adhesive thermal compound that sets? I don't see why an earth they would, but if you're really tried everything to no joy, it could be a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sounds like a thermal pad. They ar a absolute mnightmare. Freezing will be a bad idea, so just use a small screw driver to try and force it off. But be very gentle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 evev

Well, being the other part of the 'we' that Ve was mentioning, for those interested or for those in a similar situation, the end solution was to take one of these:41702.jpg
    and heat the heatsink with a hairdryer on high for 3 minutes until it was burn-hot and clasp the narrow gripping pliers around the CPU's lid that was stuck to the heatsink and pull like billy-o. Now I know that all recommendations state that 'gentle' force works, as will a twisted screwdriver between the wafer and the sink, but as a CPU/heatsink separating newbie, I had a baptism of fire. Nothing else worked. I used acetone, I used plastic cards,I used nylon string and dental floss, I used three types of screwdrivers, from tiny to huge, heat after heat, gentle to strong force, and spent three evenings at this damn thing. I was sure that after all the abuse that when I finally did remove it and clean the old thermal pad off (acetone + cotton buds worked best), applied the new thermal grease,and put the CPU back in, it would not work, but the component-gods were smiling on me last night, and bingo! it booted and I now have a working machine that after some hefty testing, is not overheating. Hurrah!

So to all the advisors, thanks for the advice, I hope that it is that easy for me in the future, but for anyone at their wits end with a thermal pad and a stuck CPU, try a very narrow pliers. Torque works. But it could ruin your CPU. Life is about taking risks. And if you have spent three days at it like I did, you will be so frustrated that you won't care either way in the end!:)

Right, I'm off to take over the world...

Advertisement