Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast lump

• 05-11-2007 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this should be posted here or in personal issues so please feel free to move it. I have a lump in my right breat. I ignored it for a few months. i have a breast scan coming up next month and to be honest i'm quite nervous as i don't know what to expect. There is a strong history of cancer in my family the latest being my uncle who dies in June. I'm so worried about it, I discussed things with my family and they have been brilliant. I know i could be worked up over nothing at all but i cant seem to stop. Its frightening to think of your own mortality. I just needed to get it off my chest (pardon the pun!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Good luck with your scan - it is always better to get these things checked and not leave them like I did (bold me), these things are almost always begnine and even if it is not breast cancer is very treatable. Feel free to vent, I know how scary it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Thanks :). its probably just a cyst and nothing to wrry about but i'll know by the end of December anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I've been there,sticking my head in the sand and hoping it would go away.
    It was nothing to worry about in the end.
    Don't go reading up about it online and getting carried away,keep yourself busy. I hope it works out ok:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Let us know how you get on - I wil say a prayer for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Is the scan a routine mammorgram? Or does your doc know you have it? If you haven't been to your GP, then go see them, and your scan will be be done much more quickly than a month's time.

If your GP has referred you for a scan in a month, then presumably he/she doesn't think it's a tumour?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been there a few times and they were all benign thank God, try not to worry although I know how hard it is. The waiting is the hardest part, if I were you I'd let the hospital know I'd be willing to take a cancellation if there are any, to speed things up.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Best of luck, it's always good to get these things checked out asap:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I went to my GP a while ago and i was offered a cancellation. I havent looked it up online or anything since i dont want to scaremonegr myself. I will let ye know how it goes. Fingers and toes crossed. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I went to the breast clinic in Beaumont Hospital, it's run by Mr. Osborne and he'll often do a needle biopsy (not too unpleasant) there and then.
    You're right not to start googling, it'd only do more harm than good. I'm rooting for you, I know just how you feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Hi obviously your doc doesnt think it is too serious or he would have arranged a test a bit sooner. Maybe if money allows go private. I went through this last summer and got all clear thank god but its very scary.
    Good luck.
    xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

BtW if you want to know what is involved in a mammogram you can pm me or I can post online. I dont know if you looking for info on what happens or whatever.

Advertisement