Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

splitting a broadband connection?

Options
  • 05-11-2007 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hi.

we've a 3mb line.
    my brother plays his xbox 360 a lot, and when ever anyone else surfs the net it lags him out of it.
    ive been onto eircom millions of times over it, and they refuse to help me as they say my line is working normally.

anything i could do to split the connection? say devide it in 2, so it can have 1.5 meg and 1.5 meg?

anyone know if its possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

You could get the Hawking broadband booster, it balances out the bandwidth between multiple connections reducing latency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

is it hardware or software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not worth it and it doesn't reduce latency.

But you may have a substandard router. I found my WiFi + 4port switch + Router did not cope well with my own LAN traffic so I added 8 port 3com 10/100/1000 switch for LAN and Clarkconnect (free Linux, just boot CD to install) on an old PIII 400MHz as firewall/Router. The original box just does wifi now.

[Have a Netgear 100M 8port too]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

watty what router etc you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.clarkconnect.com/
    community edition 4.0 on a PIII 400MHz.
    Download, burn CD, boot from cd , click next... Wipes existing hard disk.
    You need a 2nd network card in the PC obviously.

If you use the new Version 4.2, adding the optional Asterisk VOIP PABX would need about 1.8GHz CPU or better and 384M RAM or more. The Router/Firewall on it's own will run on 300MHz CPU and 256M RAM.

The original Router was DI-634M a Dlink MIMO 108Mbps SuperG. We only use it for WiFi access now on the LAN. Its 4 port switch could not handle much LAN traffice without LAN pings rising from <1ms to > 50ms (Thus internet rising from 40ms+ to 90ms+). We use a 3com giga Switch 8 (cheap 10/100/1G) as 8 port switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

watty what router etc you using?

He's using an old PC as his router, not an actual device.

Advertisement