Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help with installing bluetooth handfree kit!

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

I recently bought a sony ericson HCB-300 and got it today. Going to have ago at installing myself as don't have much money at the moment. Anyways, I have two questions for you guys! My first question is how do I crimp these two together as I don't have a crimper (incase you havent guessed I'm a complete noobie)

Red%2022-28%20Loop%20Crimp%20connector.JPG
    and a 12v wire.

And my next question is do I just unscrew the nut, place my new crimped wire onto screw and replace nut? Heres where I'm thinking!

2-1060-19388-l-Cn046gCrl3y4fsxxdgpJw.jpg

Thanks for your help guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

FWIW, terminals marked '30' are permanently live. The yellow '75X' connection is the X contact and is only live with the ignition - terminals marked '15' are also only live with the ignition switched on. For the ground (also marked '31'), have a look behind the relay plate, there should be an earth point somewhere close - but the one you indicate should do for a bluetooth kit.

As for the crimper - you'd be best off to buy one - even a cheap one - nothing else will give you as good a connection - remember a crimped connection is mechanical as well as electrical.

I take it that your installing it in a VW Group car......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

Thanks for your help crosstownk, Am I correct in saying that the 12v power has black(negative) and red(positive) wires. The positive goes on 15 and the negative goes to the ground? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's easier to remove the stereo and use scotch blocks to connect the wires for the handsfree.

Thanks for your help crosstownk, Am I correct in saying that the 12v power has black(negative) and red(positive) wires. The positive goes on 15 and the negative goes to the ground? Thanks

I assume you mean the wring of your Sony kit. The red would normally be 12VDC+ and the black should be negative (ground). If you connect the red wire to any terminal 15, the kit will only be active when the ignition is switched on (or when the S contact is live i.e. after switching the engine off but before withdrawing the key). If you want the kit live all the time you should connect it to terminal 30. Does the kit not have a 12VDC+(IGN) as well as the red 12VDC+ wire?

Note:VW Group vehicle's negative (gnd) wires are brown in colour - so don't go splicing into any black wires expecting a ground connection ;)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    it's easier to remove the stereo and use scotch blocks to connect the wires for the handsfree.

That would suffice, but the connections that the OP is proposing from his pics are preferable to scotch locks behind the stereo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is the picture taken in the interior of the car? thought (probably incorrectly) it was in the engine bay, radio will have to be removed for mute anyway.

Yes it has both a 12V and a switched 12V. I just assumed it would be the same as the switched 12v. Am i correct in saying this? The black negative wire is part of the kit. Thanks very much for your help crosstownk. Your an absolute genius mate! I didn't even mention I had a VW and you got it spot on. Maybe the VAG-COM port gave it away or some OEM partnumber in the picture. Who knows?? Thanks again mate

is the picture taken in the interior of the car? thought (probably incorrectly) it was in the engine bay, radio will have to be removed for mute anyway.

Yep - interior - above the drivers knees.

The radio will have to removed if the OP wants the mute function.

Yes it has both a 12V and a switched 12V.
    12V to terminal 30. Switched 12V to terminal 15 (75X will do also).

Yes its just under the dash. Sorry I should have mentioned this. Im familiar enough with head units so the mute wire will be a piece of cake. Thanks for your input tho

• Advertisement

2-1060-19388-l-Cn046gCrl3y4fsxxdgpJw.jpg

Just a word of caution - Do not disconnect any of the wires in the photo unless the key is completely removed from the ignition switch - put the key in your pocket;). Otherwise you could end up with a few fault lights.

Advertisement