Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gone mad with Observation

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

With my test in the January, I've started the preperations in earnest to esnure I'll pass (or have the best possibilty of passing:D)

So have has 2 hour long lessons in the last week and a bit to identify any bad habits picked up in the last year, with time to iron them out before the new year.
    The instructer picked up on coasting, a bit of road positioning and finally more observation, but was confident that all could be very easily remedied well before the test.

So had a week to concentrate on these before the next lesson, on the test route.
    The instructor said I drove like a differnt person, unfortunately, not in a good way.

He actually asked did I think I was being followed? Either by a car or possibly helicopters.
    I went mad on the observation, checking nearly constantly to the detriment of my driving!

Now all week I'm looking in the mirror at any given oppurtunity.
    I'm driving like taking the test everytime I get in the car, and thinking too much about the actual mechanics of driving, whereas before I did a lot by habit!

Sorry for the wall of text guys - anyone else have similar experiences or advice to change my "By the manual god dammit" frame of mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

relax with the observation.

While driving look in your side mirrors and rear view when you are just progressing normally. I passed my test but still do it. I glance at them probably every ten seconds or so but only real a glance (as you must keep an eye in front) :rolleyes:.

When turning or changing lane you must also check your blindspot (as well as mirrors) just before maneouvering. If at higher speeds check twice but you wont need to do this in the test because you shouldnt go above 50 kmph MAX.

Reversing, I recommended taking off the seat belt and one hand on the wheel as this allows you body more freedom to observe. During the reverse you should mostly be looking out the rear as well as check other spots.

Turn About, Just keep an eye on both sides of the directions. If cars come towards you, relax they must wait.

Otherwise just keep an eye to both sides of the road to ensure no people or obstacles are coming on the road, especially kids.

You must be obervant to all spots but remember the most important place to look is in front of you, and all the other spots get their fair share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Little Bo Peep

In my second test I got four grade twos because I did exactly that - observed too much. In my first test I got lack of observation.....hopefully I will get it right next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Go mental on the observation near schools, roadworks, roundabouts/changing lane/junctions and the turnabout. The testers like that. When proceeding normally just quickly check your mirrors every 10-12 seconds or so, yer supposed to be paying more attention to where you are going than where you've been ;)

Advertisement