Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Keys abd chipping TDI's

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Ok.... To kill the potential onslaught of pasted URL's quoting previous threads, I have trawled through the boards searching for an answer to my question and not found one.

1. I bought a 2003 VW Passat and when I got both keys the small chrome bar that allows one to link their keys to the VW Fob was missing on both keys. I didnt take action on this down to the fact that I am lazy and it is only now that the car has run out of warranty that I am getting piddled off with it....

Is there a way without having to pay massive money to have a new casing put onto the existent blade / transmitter ?

If not, is there a cheap way to have somebody cut a blank key bought from Ebay and program the fob for me ?

Cheers for your responses on this.....

Seperate issue but not wanting to spam up the boards....

2. Chipping TDI engines...... I kinda sorta believe that when you chip a car your going against what the German engineers who waved goodbye to it from the factory 4 years ago originally did to the engine....

I own and a 110 BHP TDI engine. I have the money and would like to lift it to 130BHP ( not because I am rallying around but because I would like to push the engine less to reach my desired speed ) I am kind of hesitant though because, well surely the VW Techs do a little bit more than change a chip in the ECU when rolling out 110 BHP and 130 BHP engines....

If I chip my car up, how much of a chance have I got of blowing every seal in the engine within a few weeks therefore killing my dream car !?

Sorry for the long windedness of this and cheers for reading and your professional response / opinions....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Most of your questions about engine remapping here :
    http://www.chippedire.com/

I've heard good reports on these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MugMugs wrote: »
    I bought a 2003 VW Passat and when I got both keys the small chrome bar that allows one to link their keys to the VW Fob was missing on both keys. I didnt take action on this down to the fact that I am lazy and it is only now that the car has run out of warranty that I am getting piddled off with it....

Is there a way without having to pay massive money to have a new casing put onto the existent blade / transmitter ?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'chrome bar' - do you mean the bit that allows you to tie it to a key ring? If so, you are probably looking at a new key head - the bit with the buttons on it. The immobiliser chip is not in the head, it is in the blade section. To be 100% sure, remove the head and try and start the car with just the blade - it will start. If that's the case then you can get a new or second hand head and program it yourself to integrate into your central locking. I can't remember the exact procedure for this, but a search of some VW forums should provide you with an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Moanin wrote: »
    Most of your questions about engine remapping here :
    http://www.chippedire.com/

Which is nice, but the problems are with the answers.
    Remember these guys business is selling you remaps, so the answers may not be exactly without an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'chrome bar' - do you mean the bit that allows you to tie it to a key ring? If so, you are probably looking at a new key head - the bit with the buttons on it. The immobiliser chip is not in the head, it is in the blade section. To be 100% sure, remove the head and try and start the car with just the blade - it will start. If that's the case then you can get a new or second hand head and program it yourself to integrate into your central locking. I can't remember the exact procedure for this, but a search of some VW forums should provide you with an answer.

I have solved the issue of the key and to answer your question, Yes it I meant the bit that allows you to tie it to a key ring.....

I thought I would share the solution as after speaking to somebody in a VW Garage it seems that people are actually paying to have brand new keys cut and re coded just for this small luxury.

I have added a link to this post to assist however should this thread be archived and the link expire I will briefly explain what to do.

Take the key fob and pull it apart ( splitting it at the joins )

Take the half that holds the battery and split this in half too so now you are left with the section that holds the battery and the circut that retains the transmitter and so forth. Buy a new key on Ebay and do the same thing....

The part when the key ring loops on is the side that holds the batter and in turn can be replaced with the ebay key....

Easy as that !!!

here is the link which gives visual guidance.....

On the second note I am still undecided about having the TDI chipped.... I really do feel there is more to VW releasing different HP engines than just changing the chip.....

http://www.riskin.org/vwkey/

Advertisement