Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get decent coat for over a suit? (male)

• 05-11-2007 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for a decent coat/jacket to go over a suit. I have some jackets but they are short and it looks ridiculous with suit jacket sticking out.

Alot of the ones I have seen in the shops look really heavy. I want something light, more to keep my suit dry rather than me warm.

Any ideas where to go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

John Taylor Baggot Street,or you will never be let down at any of the Copeland shops. Be prepared to pay a few bob though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

try tk maxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

I don't know how much you want to spend, but if your willing to spend a bit, Gant in the ground floor menswear section in brown thomas have some really nice light-weight coats for over suits. I was looking at some with my cousin a while back, they had navy and black knee-length and waist length ones. They are pricy, but he tried on one there and got someone to pick it up for him from the shop in New York for a lot cheaper. Another place that might be worth checking out is Marks & Spencers or Zara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

John Taylor Baggot Street,or you will never be let down at any of the Copeland shops. Be prepared to pay a few bob though.

Never been to Copeland but I presume they are quite pricey!

I bought a couple suits recently in Bertoni and they are really nice. I tried on a couple of the coats there but they were so long and heavy! I am only about 5'9 so I don't think the long coats suit me! Apart from the fact I never wear heavy coats as I get to warm.

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    try tk maxx

Aren't they all awkward sizes etc?

• Advertisement

becah wrote: »
    I don't know how much you want to spend, but if your willing to spend a bit, Gant in the ground floor menswear section in brown thomas have some really nice light-weight coats for over suits. I was looking at some with my cousin a while back, they had navy and black knee-length and waist length ones. They are pricy, but he tried on one there and got someone to pick it up for him from the shop in New York for a lot cheaper. Another place that might be worth checking out is Marks & Spencers or Zara.

Yea I must pop in there someday but I'd say pricewise Brown Thomas are on a par with Copeland! I tried Marks and Zara have some nice stuff but its all very dressy for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

Gant would be a bit cheaper than Ralph Lauren, but is very good quality. Can't remember the prices now though, sorry!
    Another place to check out is Gap at Arnotts, they can have some nice coats too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Debenhams. Some of their designer by Debenhams coats are really good and good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

Theres two great suit shops in the Kildare retail village if you can get out there.

Well worth the trip. I dont remember the name of the shops but my gf picked me up a versace (spelling?) suit for 400 yo's which is rrp 1400.

They do jackets and all that too.

TK Maxx is well worth a look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

py2006 wrote: »
    Aren't they all awkward sizes etc?

i got a very nice long-ish coat in tk maxx a few months back that everyone has complimented, it all depends if you are an awkward size. Granted, a large percentage of their stock isn't to everyones tastes but you can honestly find great stuff there and because they might only get 4 or 5 items of a particular style you can look stylish on the cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 M for Mystery

Zara can be good, sometimes you can get a real beaut of a coat when the fabric and cut are brilliant but it can also be hit and miss - but if you're into travelling to NY, then go to the Burlington Coat Factory. Gazillions of coats, by all low to high end designers and great bargains. I've bought many a coat there.

Zara can be good, sometimes you can get a real beaut of a coat when the fabric and cut are brilliant but it can also be hit and miss - but if you're into travelling to NY, then go to the Burlington Coat Factory. Gazillions of coats, by all low to high end designers and great bargains. I've bought many a coat there.

I have been to Manhatten a couple times and intend going again sometime next year! Is that place in Manhatten or is it out in New Jersey with the other outlets?

I have been to Manhatten a couple times and intend going again sometime next year! Is that place in Manhatten or is it out in New Jersey with the other outlets?

They have multiple locations in NY and NJ but the only one in manhattan is on 22nd street on 6th avenue. Huge location and great for designer bargarins. Forgot about macys, bloomingdales, L&T etc. this should be your first stop when you head to NY next year.

Happy shopping!

They have multiple locations in NY and NJ but the only one in manhattan is on 22nd street on 6th avenue. Huge location and great for designer bargarins. Forgot about macys, bloomingdales, L&T etc. this should be your first stop when you head to NY next year.

Happy shopping!

Great thanks, I forgot about Macy's. They have a huge section on shirts/ties etc. I wasn't looking at coats the last time I was there but I am sure their collection is extensive!

Great thanks, I forgot about Macy's. They have a huge section on shirts/ties etc. I wasn't looking at coats the last time I was there but I am sure their collection is extensive!

No problem - I'm a pro on new york topics! :) Count me in on FL, LV, PA and NJ too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Riess do good stuff for reasonable prices

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

try arnotts - got a good douglas coat there last year that does the job for me perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lyndy

Michael Barrie on Duke Street

MattKid wrote: »
    Riess do good stuff for reasonable prices
    M007 wrote: »
    try arnotts - got a good douglas coat there last year that does the job for me perfectly
    lyndy wrote: »
    Michael Barrie on Duke Street

Thanks guys, I will pop into all of those places on Saturday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Arnotts
    Zara
    Gap

All around Henry street there.
    Zara has loads(!) of suitable coats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I got a really nice long black coat in Diffney for €175. Made by Stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Looks nice, a bit heavy looking though! I am a warm creature and the cold doesn't bother me. I guess I would have to try it on to see.

chump wrote: »
    Arnotts
    Zara
    Gap

All around Henry street there.
    Zara has loads(!) of suitable coats.

I often buy clothes in the Blanch branch of Zara but I find there suits/jackets to be a bit dressy for work. They seem more for going out in.
    besty wrote: »
    I got a really nice long black coat in Diffney for €175. Made by Stones.
    Where is Diffney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I think theres a Diffneys in Stephens Green, 2nd floor

Well I tried on a few. Some are nice some aint! I found alot of them too heavy and uncomfortable! Almost weighing me down!

Do people generally wear them without the suit jacket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

hi OP:

it can be tricky finding a coat works with a suit. As you reported, you'd be too warm wearing most coats over a suit. I don't think a pea-coat works well with a suit.
    All you need this coat to do is keep you dry, and fit well over the suit without weighing you down. Two suggestions -
    1. trench-coat style mac - they were to be found in most main-street men's shops last year.
    or if you're less Gordon Gecko more Miley from Glenroe ;) ...
    2. light barbour liddesdale Jacket (available in Clery's menswear section)

You'll get either for less than €100. I'd be guided by the colour of the suits you wear - avoid black coats if you usually wear navy suits, IMO. It's not a great time for coat-shopping in Dublin, as stock of a lot of nicer stuff has been depleted by now.
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Crombie wool coat either double or single breasted depending on your girth.
    Black or navy probably the best colour.

(If too hot leave it unbuttoned.)

Thanks for the input folks. I will be trying on some more this evening!

• Advertisement

Well I bought one today and it fitted good when I tried it on. However, when I got home and tried it on with my suits it was uncomfortable. It wasn't too bad without the suit jacket underneath but that defeats the purpose! But I like the coat as it could be worn on weekends aswell whereas the other ones only look good with a suit!

Advertisement