Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Turnabout

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have my test on Thursday week and preparation is going quite well. I'm comfortable in most things I feel except the Turnabout. I have not gone through this yet with my instructor and my next lesson is not until Monday. Has anyone any tips? I don't have power steering which is a disadvantage. If its a flat road is it better not to use the accelerator? Also I find it hard to judge how close I am to the kerb...might it be a good idea to tilt down my left mirror which might help judge how close my back wheel is to it? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BoxingCrab

Well I'm shocked that your instructor hasn't gone through the Turnabout with you yet, it's a fundamental in the test and everyone knows that... I'd have a serious word with him about it... how many lessons have you taken?

When you take the test the turnabout will be on a flat road, the tester generally won't try and make you do all manoevers (sp?) at the same time.

I "THINK" you are allowed to have your mirror tilted slightly to help you in that regards, I know you are in the reverse around the corner but not sure about the turnabout, check that one with your instructor.

My one tip, and this is only to help you guage the distance of you car when you are practicing and obviously NOT in the test, is to slowly keep going and hit the kerb, then take a mental note of what you can see in front of you, and the same at the rear, open the door and look out, make sure you can realise that the next time you will be able to say 'I'm on top of the kerb now' so stop and reverse etc.

Hope that helps and best of luck for you test next week.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks, I've had two lesson so far, I love more but the instructor is booked up until next Monday evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If the road is completely flat you should be able to get over and back with the clutch alone. Unless you want to speed things up a bit and use the accelerator, but my instructor always said to try and use the clutch only as you can control the movement better that way without necessarily having to use the brake.

Moving forward and back more often is preferable than going too far either way and bumping the pavement. Hence is being a 'turnabout' now and not a three point turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

With a waiting list as long as a sewage pipe, how on earth did you not have time to prepare for this?

Advertisement