Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preliminary Engineering

Options
  • 05-11-2007 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at the Level 6 "Preliminary Engineering" course in DIT, I'd be starting next year. The reason I'd choose this rather than go straight into an ordinary degree would be so I could sample different branches of engineering. I have a few questions about the course, for anybody who knows a bit about it.

I know the fees are approx. €2000 for the 1 year course. Does this include the registration fee of about €700, or is that separate altogether?

When the course is completed, assuming you have passed, does this guarantee you a place in the honours course for the next year, or do you have to go though the CAO again?

Is the course itself very basic? I'm already doing physics, engineering, geography, and tech graphics. The only thing I dont have is honours maths, hence, this course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

I just finished the mechanical degree this year after doing prelim in 2002/03. Best thing i ever did. The course covers a large range of topics so from the first year degree so you start out at an advantage on everyone else and an extra year at chemistry is a great boost. You must pass the exams at a first attempt to guarantee a place in the degree, but dit are great at providing alternate options and second chances but you dont have to go through the CAO. As regards the fees, as far as i can remember its in addition to the registration fees.

I dont check this forum too often so if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just finished the structural degree in Bolton street (level 8). I didnt do prelim, but a lot of my friends in the course did.

First thing I would say to you is - be very careful. I see that you don't have honours maths; maths is a large part of the course, and while it doesnt get very difficult, it is quite difficult. You may be able to scrape through the maths exams by picking the easy topics; but most of the other subjects you'll be doing will often rely on you knowing your maths, sometimes the topics that you have tried to skip the exam question on.

I'm not sure why you'd have to pay fees - the course leads on so if you do prelim you will automatically get through to the degree.

It's only if you do the diploma after prelim that you must get a certain grade to continue onto the degree after the diploma.

Physics and engineering will help you. Tech graphics not so much although there is some drawing in first year or two of the degree but in the grand scheme its not that inportant.

If you think you can handle honours maths but just didnt do it for some reason, then I would reccomend it for ya, its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jmg2000

i did prelim in 2001/2002 and to be honest i wish i went straight into the diploma because i would hav just finished the same year but i would have had the diploma in the bag if i did fail or wanted to finish earlier. Having said that, if u dont no what type of engineering u want to do then it's probably a good idea. dont worry about the maths. Just work a little bit harder and you'll scrape through!

Advertisement