Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Info on reinstalling xp pro

• 05-11-2007 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to completly wipe my inspiron 9300 laptop and reinstall xp pro.

I dont have any cd but im nearly sure there is another partition with xp on it that can be used for reinstalling.

I'm wondering about nVidia drivers and all that stuff, if i reinstall from the other partition will all the drivers and programs like sonic be installed too ?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

You have two options, reinstall Windows or repair windows. The first option will format the partition and install windows, erasing all existing drivers and software, meaning you'll have to reinstall them too.

The latter option will simply reinstall all of the windows system files and reset some of the system configurations, but your setup will remain largely unchanged. Usually good for solving some problems, but can still leave other problems!

If you wanna keep your drivers, you have utilities like Driver Max, Driver Genius, Driver Detective and Win Drivers Backup, among others, that you can use to scan for and backup all available drivers on your system for you to use later on when restoring a system! The sonic software, well, you'll have to find a copy of that again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi grahamor

Contact Dell...text chat support is best...tell them you're having a problem with Windows running slowly even though a virus scan shows no threats.

You will go through the usual diagnostic checks with them, but more than likely they will advise a reinstall...reading from their script. Explain that you received no reinstallation discs with the laptop and make a request for the discs you require.

Depending on who you are dealing with, they more than likely will send them out to you. The reason I suggest text chat support is because of language/accent problems you may encounter.

I know Dell gets alot of stick over their customer support, but my many experiences with them in the past have been quite good.

Best of luck!

DONT forget to backup your my docs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks humaxf1,

I spoke with a dell rep and got it sorted,

He suggested i run PC Restore when the machine starts up, it reinstalls a fresh copy of xp but with all the software dell put on it too (like sonic and the nvidia drivers).

It sounds like the easiest option.

Thanks again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can always use the dell decrapifier to remove a lot of that crud if you wish

http://pcdecrapifier.com

Advertisement