Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Help

Options
  • 05-11-2007 10:12pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

right some of you lot are techies?? right?

a particular chat room has suggested i cant get in because i have a firewall in place and has suggested i turn it off - two questions

1. what is a firewall and what does it do ?

2. should i turn it off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

irishbird wrote: »
    right some of you lot are techies?? right?

a particular chat room has suggested i cant get in because i have a firewall in place and has suggested i turn it off - two questions

1. what is a firewall and what does it do ?

2. should i turn it off?

A firewall blocks network traffic on certain ports. Its used primarily to stop other hosts (computers) connecting to your PC (ie incoming traffic). It can also be used to stop outgoing traffic though.

Its unusual that it would be the cause of the problem for a chatroom. Which chatroom is it, and we could have more of a look at the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'll need to pay us with either

a) beer
    b) other means :D

a firewall basically analyses what you send out on the internet and what comes in from the internet to your computer.

you shouldn't really turn it off tbh as you can be left open to attacks from unsavvy people.

which chat room is it? you can open certain parts of a firewall (these are called ports) in which a program can access your computer only on that port.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A firewall blocks unauthorised access to your computer. It also blocks certain programs from accessing the internet. It should not be turned off. A firewall shouldn't be a problem for accessing a chatroom.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

This is what it is saying (am far too mortified to tell you the name of the site): -

The chatroom will not work for you if you have a firewall in place. Some versions of Windows XP come with a firewall installed, you can turn off this facility by visiting Microsoft.com and following the instructions there.

If you continue to have problems with the chat service it is recommended that you Update your version of Windows using the Microsoft Update facility. (We recommend Internet Explorer Version 5 (or higher) or Netscape 6).

Stky10 wrote: »
    A firewall blocks network traffic on certain ports. Its used primarily to stop other hosts (computers) connecting to your PC (ie incoming traffic). It can also be used to stop outgoing traffic though.

LOL that is such a techie response, i have no idea what that means:D

• Advertisement

Professional Network Admin. Its my job to confuse others with buzzwords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Basically it stops other people accessing your PC and blocks spyware and the likes from using Internet Explorer to send personal info about you to a remote user. It shouldn't really block a chat room but your settings for accepting cookies is probably blocking a certain word so their cookie isn't being accepted by your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Stky10 wrote: »
    Professional Network Admin. Its my job to confuse others with buzzwords.

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "Blind them with bullsh*t".

I think this might be better suited to a techie forum.

Moved from BG+RH of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Your firewall is your friend. It's like an Internet condom. Keeps all the nasty viruses and other disgusting stuff away from your important bits.

I would be dubious about a site that wants you to turn your firewall off. Asking for trouble tbh.

If it's just a chat room ... there should be no special requirements for odd ports or protocols. I would walk away from that site.

trout wrote: »
    Your firewall is your friend. It's like an Internet condom. Keeps all the nasty viruses and other disgusting stuff away from your important bits.

I would be dubious about a site that wants you to turn your firewall off. Asking for trouble tbh.

If it's just a chat room ... there should be no special requirements for odd ports or protocols. I would walk away from that site.

oh but i paid :(:(

• Advertisement

Are you connecting via Internet Explorer, or is there a specific chat tool you're using?. Should be able to create an exception to allow the traffic if you knew the port required. But if its Internet Explorer, it sounds like it might be a dodgy site. Normally you wouldn't need to do anything for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Chalk it up to experience and walk away, what brother Trout said.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Internet dating site? :p

Advertisement