Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

back to basics: need a good book for guitar basics

• 05-11-2007 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

I havnt really played guitar in a few years and i wana go back to basics, learn properly now that ive forgottten many of my bad habbits. i want a book that will teach me basic guitar theory, and has exercises to help me learn it. my eventual aim is to be a comfortable acoustic blues player but im happing learning about 1st, 3rds and 5ths until im ready to move on. anyone recommend a good book? i know i should get a teacher, but i cant really fit to a teachers schedule and any i know will only take me at set times. all recommendations appriciated. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fret_wimp wrote: »
    I havnt really played guitar in a few years and i wana go back to basics, learn properly now that ive forgottten many of my bad habbits. i want a book that will teach me basic guitar theory, and has exercises to help me learn it. my eventual aim is to be a comfortable acoustic blues player but im happing learning about 1st, 3rds and 5ths until im ready to move on. anyone recommend a good book? i know i should get a teacher, but i cant really fit to a teachers schedule and any i know will only take me at set times. all recommendations appriciated. thanks.

first thing i'll say is that when it comes to acoustic blues learning by ear is the best. it's a bit like trad, there are rhythms and syncopation in it which are hard to express by notation.

I dont know how basic you mean by basic, but one book i did find quite useful was Mel Bay's "Shake that thing, the guitar of Mississippi John Hurt" it's not all that difficult if you know you're basic chord shapes. it will give you the picking style and the chord structure of the songs but in tab, quite good i found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

Best guitar/ theory instruction book ever written, IMO:

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Guitar-Terry-Burrows/dp/1402709803

I taught myself LOADS from that book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭colm_r

For learning to play acoustic blues you might also consider DVDs.

Stefan Grossman has a whole series of DVDs on the subject which are very good.
    http://guitarvideos.com/video/000notefromstefan.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ogill2000

goggle in, guitar principals buy the dvd and book and you will never look back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭My name is Todd

The Guitar Grimoire is an almanac for beginners right up to advanced. Check it out on the web - it's not cheap but it's highly recommended, and as far as I know the latest versions come with DVD's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement