Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question

Options
  • 05-11-2007 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Just have a question regarding insurance. If someone had an accident (and were at fault) just over a year ago and wanted to change insurance companies, would they get a quote for insurance from another insurance company?

The current insurance company was informed when the accident occured but neither party claimed so the no claims bonus remains unaffected.

Also, would the quote be affected by the fact they had an accident even though they still have their no claims bonus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You'll be asked for a proof of no claims. This may not be forthcoming if a claim is pending. If no claim is in the system then all should be OK. After all, it is a 'no claims' bonus, not a 'no accident' bonus'.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Your insurance company will give you an NCB cert as long as there was no claim. No need to mention anything about the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

I would declare the accident to the prospective insurance company highlighting that no claim has occured they will make a note of it but will allow you a NCB. By declaring it you are giving them all material facts about your driving history thus unholding your obligation under the 'utmost good faith' principal. Better lay all the facts on the table however its your choice.
    I know with Hibernian after 6 months after an accident if no claim is rec'd they will close the file and allow your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi There,

Generally there is a standard question asked...

" have you had a claim fault or non fault in the past three years "

To this I would answer yes as your NEW Insurance Company could potentially decline any kind of comprehensive claim should one arise later down the line on the basis of "Non Disclosure" as most Insurance Companies operate a practice of "Utmost good faith" They would however be obliged to act as Insurer Concerned and deal with any third party claims or passengers of yours at the time and if they were REALLY mean could attempt to recover their costs from you.... Most wont though....

No Insurance company will give you a No Claims Bonus CERT until they are satisfied that your claim is done and dusted for good which could be up to ten years should the Third Party involved drag it to Litigation in which case you wouldnt get one anyway....

As a person working for an Insurance company I have seen people obtain their No Claims Bonus cert then report an accident the very next day and head off to a new Insurance company.... There are high legal penalties for fraud though so you would want balls the size of a whale to do it !

Basically........... Honesty is the best option....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Cheers for all the replies.

MugMugs, the accident occured over a year ago, the No Claims Bonus Cert was issued with the renewal notice a few weeks back. When dealing with insurance, I am always completely honest. This is what it confusing to me - the web sites have a 'no claims bonus' box , but not a 'number of years since last accident' box.

The insurance company will have to be phoned I guess, will the fact there was an accident over a year ago (even though there was no claim by either party, and the NCB cert has been received) make the quote go up? Or could the insurance company decide not to insure someone based on this???

Cheers

• Advertisement

To give you a simple answer, "No"

The Insurance company who you were with last year insure any liability you may have had while they insured you.

The new Insurance company will Insure the risk for this year therefore the accident last year is of no concern to them and the fact you have a NCB backs this up....

If your Insurance company have given you a NCB despite the fact you had a claim then they must have satisfied themsevles that it was a "No Claim"

On another note, Web Sites are great for cheap quotes, I know of one Insurance Company who will issue a renewal to a Customer for lets say a random figure of 1K and when you go online and put the same information into their web page it will puke out a figure of 800 !!

What I am trying to say is that there is no better customer service out there than an actual person who can do a little bit more than a pre programmed computer but that the pre programmed computer does have it's uses too ! :P

hey, thanks for the quick reply :)

So if I get a quote off the internet, ring the new insurer up, give them the quote number, explain the situation, it wont affect the quote?

or does what you said above mean I can just get a quote off the internet as normal and dont have to phone them?

Both of them work....

You have a NCB and you have answered all questions honestly so there is no issue....

Try the web page and get a quote then ring them and dont tell them about your previous quote online and see what they come up with.... 9 times out of 10 the online quote is cheaper....

thanks a million, you've been a great help :)

Advertisement