Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discrete Mathematics book.

Options
  • 05-11-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of a half decent discrete maths book for Computing?
    I am using the one by Kenneth H. Rosen, but to be honest I find the book somewhat difficult to follow in terms of the style and Language.
    Is there any book available which doesn't assume the person reading it is an aspiring Mathematician?
    I just want a book that teaches concepts and gives a few examples, not talk endlessly about the topics in a philosophical manner while straying off the point.

Also, if anyone could tell me exactly what Continuous assessment in maths entails in terms of exams/assessments etc, I would be greatfull considering the Lecturer does not know what/when/how the assessments are carried out:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

get the schaum's outline (i think that's the name) discrete mathematics, it was good and to the point.

it's a red/white/yellow cover on it and it's printed on recycled paper so it smells like crap and feels like it too, but it's good for getting the basics and very unlike most mathematics books it's cheap to at under 20 euros.

*edit* who's your lecturer for maths? each lecturer has a different continuous assessment, as i can't get a link to the DT211 programme structure as the comp.dit.ie site is really geared towards DT228 and i ain't emailing admissions to get a 2008 prospectus.

ahh if only DIT could practice what they preach in terms of web design and accessability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote: »
    get the schaum's outline (i think that's the name) discrete mathematics, it was good and to the point.

it's a red/white/yellow cover on it and it's printed on recycled paper so it smells like crap and feels like it too, but it's good for getting the basics and very unlike most mathematics books it's cheap to at under 20 euros.

I actually came across a similar book in the library, but it was a really, really short "crash course" edition which looked almost useless.
    The one you mentioned though looks pretty damn good from looking at some extracts, and also covers stuff in more than 6 or 7 pages.
    Very reasonable price too despite the cheap paper.
    Do they sell it in hodges and figgis by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that's where i got mine yeah.

*edit* who's your lecturer for maths? each lecturer has a different continuous assessment, as i can't get a link to the DT211 programme structure as the comp.dit.ie site is really geared towards DT228 and i ain't emailing admissions to get a 2008 prospectus.

ahh if only DIT could practice what they preach in terms of web design and accessability.

Nah, no problem, If it's that problematic I'll just email the school of Computing directly, as the Lecturer Anthony Byrne doesn't know the situation. or so I have heard because "He is from the maths department:D"

that's where i got mine yeah.

Grand, thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement