Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D'olier street

Options
  • 06-11-2007 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Passing by it on the bus to college every morning I just say one thing, KIP. Man how the hell is one of the most central streets in Dublin so badly run down. Boarded up windows on the old times offices and so many grotty shops. Is there any plans for refurbishment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There's redevelopment plans for the Irish Times. The paper in effect killed one side of the street. The street is however crap in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think the whole of the right hand side of dolier street and the left hand side of westmoreland street should be knocked down and turned into a huge plaza

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

i think the whole of the right hand side of dolier street and the left hand side of westmoreland street should be knocked down and turned into a huge plaza

+1, brilliant idea tbh. Only problem is the auld ones and politicians whinge and cry when knocking anything (or building it for that matter). Massive barrier there from the off.

If the plaza was going past Fleet Street (that last bit is just as dead so the old shops etc would need to be redeveloped if not) I wouldn't be too sure the Westin hotel would be cheap to buy out either. Aren't they the ones with the €500-a-glass cocktail with gold flakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    +1, brilliant idea tbh. Only problem is the auld ones and politicians whinge and cry when knocking anything (or building it for that matter). Massive barrier there from the off.

If the plaza was going past Fleet Street (that last bit is just as dead so the old shops etc would need to be redeveloped if not) I wouldn't be too sure the Westin hotel would be cheap to buy out either. Aren't they the ones with the €500-a-glass cocktail with gold flakes?

havent a clue about the westin tbh, but just think it would look cool if u imagine looking at it from an o'connell bridge perspecive, some lovely sculpture and street art would really lift the area, in a plaza setting. its a derelict dive at the moment and really needs a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Passing by it on the bus to college every morning I just say one thing, KIP. Man how the hell is one of the most central streets in Dublin so badly run down. Boarded up windows on the old times offices and so many grotty shops. Is there any plans for refurbishment.

Marlborough Street is a hundred times worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Those streets were planned by the Wide Streets Commission and it is to them that we owe for really quite a unique street layout - poor planning enforcement however has led to the destruction of this areas image.

This area is infact an architectural conservation area and it is only due to poor enforcement that shops (particularily on westmoreland street) have been allowed to destroy the original georgian look of the streets and put up their tatty/gaudy shop fronts.

Something does really need to be done alright - an open area would be interesting but too radical, and almost certainly never going to happen as these building are quite historic given that they're from the same era as the King's Inn and Blackhall Place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Alsatian_Cousin

you're right, it's a horrible, grey, depressing street. However, O'Connell st pisses me off even more.

How much money did they spend refurbishing it? It looks quite well now with the trees and the new road surface and central island. However, up on the northside end there are many derelict, unused buildings that spoil it. The old eircom building, the carlton, the old fingal county council, etc. There are also horrible 'temporary' signs on the front of many shops. After spending so much time and money on the street someomne should do something about this. It should be our champs elysse and we should take pride in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I think the real problem is created by the location of Trinity. Westmoreland St. connects Grafton St to O'Connell St so it gets a lot more footfall than the opposite side of the triangle which just faces a big wall. If D'olier St connected across to Nassau St/Dawson St it would become a lot busier as a useful route and thus get more businesses opening there.
    This doesn't just affect D'olier St IMO, as Trinity has stunted the natural 'flow' of the city from north to south and vice versa. I would even go as far to say that a lot of the rundown areas to the east of O'Connell St could at least be partly affected by this.

As the buildings in Trinity are hundreds of years old there's not much chance of doing something there unless they built some kind of underground shopping precinct.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.345633,-6.255469&spn=0.005764,0.014591&z=16&om=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Good idea but the buildings are of architectural importance, they would have to be moved brick by brick. I heard that Trinity College are intentionally ruining the Pearse st area for their own selfish interests, could the same thing be happening to D'olier st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Must say, it took me all my life up until last week there to realise the correct pronounciation of the street.

D'leer street!

Up until then I was calling it all sorts, Doyler st., dollier st., d'olly-er st., my God the list goes on...:rolleyes:

Back on topic, I agree, total kip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Must say, it took me all my life up until last week there to realise the correct pronounciation of the street.

D'leer street!

Up until then I was calling it all sorts, Doyler st., dollier st., d'olly-er st., my God the list goes on...:rolleyes:

Back on topic, I agree, total kip!

My Friend's second name is D'olier and he pronounces it "doh-lee-ay".

Know alot of people who mispronounce the street aswell though.
    Doller st, Doolier St, Doolay st. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I always said "doh-lee-ay" too
    It was only last month that a taximan told me it was D'leer. Taximen knew everything about everything!;)

Your friend is a ponce of Hyacinth Bucket porportions:D. Only kidding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

LOL

That whole area needs a revamp and I totally agree about the unsued buildings on O'COnnell street. I find it mad that there's prime real estate (yankee-doodle) going to waste on the main street in dublin. Fo'Shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

The entire Irish times block is listed and should be restored to it's former glory. If we were to level the area and build a plaza, do you think it would work? Dublin is a hive of anti social activity and I would imagine a plaza here would become as intimidating as the boardwalks.

I believe there are plans to turn the Times building into residential, with this comes commercial interests at ground floor which hopefully will bring some footfall back to this street. It's run down yes, but it could be a great street.. with a little bit of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Nothing will be done with the area until a decision has been made on the Luas. If its to go down Westmorland St to O'Connell and back again via Marlborough and D'olier St. I reckon they will take the cars out and widen the foothpaths as done on O'Connell. But not for a few years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Don't worry i used to slag him about it the whole time before! lol

Its a diagonal street. I dislike diagonals in town planning so that is a good reason to bulldoze it for a plaza IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Ah so I wasn't the only one in Dublin mispronouncing it! Good stuff...theres light! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I still have a habit of calling o connel street eh , o connell street..garunteed some swine will pull me up about it ..........and rightly so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

D'olier St has one of my favourite buildings on it, the art deco Gas buliding, it has an art deco exterior and interior, i think its a cafe now. Its easy to miss when you see the ugly buildings beside it.
    Although a few doors down there is a buliding with a really nice type of bay window with curved glass. Its pretty rare to see curved glass nowadays, its a lovely feature that really stands out.
    The lamposts outside the old Irish Times building are pretty cool to look at, although they could do with a good clean

I don't think its the worst street in Dublin (that title should go to Marlbourgh or Parnell St )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

biZrb wrote: »
    D'olier St has one of my favourite buildings on it, the art deco Gas buliding, it has an art deco exterior and interior, i think its a cafe now. Its easy to miss when you see the ugly buildings beside it.
    That building is Trinity College's School of Nursing. There is a café in the lobby area, which you can see if you look in.

Advertisement