Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Hiromi Uehara

• 06-11-2007 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Technically applicable as there's some rock in this awesome fusion, and something a lot of posters around here will certainly appreciate I think. Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yep, she's absolutely astonishing. I was absolutely blown away the first time I've heard her, and her entire discography is going to the very top of my Xmas list for Santa. Probably haven't been this enthusiastic about an artist since I was first introduced to Cynic, and that's saying an absolutely hell of a lot. Really haven't been able to stop listening to her. I'm in love. :)

Gotta mention guitarist Dave "The Fuze" Fiuczynski, he was added as a full time member since Hiromi's Sonicbloom, and he's quite incredible, very subtle in places.

Here's some more Hiromi goodness:

That was the very first song I'd heard of her's. Totally captivated by it, especially the way she keeps the rythm with her left hand for so long, amazing coirdination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I dont believe it....

I.....I actually agree with Karl Hungus......

*dramatic music*

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Discovering her as we speak. Mightily impressed.

Archimedes wrote: »
    I dont believe it....

I.....I actually agree with Karl Hungus......

*dramatic music*

:eek:

You mean you disagreed with me before? :confused:

Still, glad you like her. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There was that whole dimmu borgir debacle... :o

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    There was that whole dimmu borgir debacle... :o

Oh yeah! That was one big trolling session though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Brilliant playing alright, but it just doesn't cut it for me. I got bored half way through both tracks.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Brilliant playing alright, but it just doesn't cut it for me. I got bored half way through both tracks.

Shocking! I honestly think this is some of the most interesting music I've heard in a long time. Looks like your taste is broken. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Its interesting alright, different shall I say, but it just isn't grabbing me by the goods !

My taste is in working order :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

She's a talented musician, there's no doubting it(very jealous of her skills on the piano), but it's much too 'free' for me. I need my structure! In most cases anyway. The way her mouth was open the whole time was annoying too, I wouldn't want to watch that all night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The way her mouth was open the whole time was annoying too, I wouldn't want to watch that all night!

<Insert shamelessly lewd comment/penis here>

The way her mouth was open the whole time was annoying too, I wouldn't want to watch that all night!

Ah, loads of musicians have expressions like that while playing. Honestly, it's something I love to see, just really shows how into the music they are and how much they're enjoying it.

See here:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Meh. The op track is seriously out-dated, if it was from 1974 than it'd be something but its not so its not and the next is really repetitive and dull and I don't reckon she's that great a player, very sloppy in parts
    For contrast check out est, great modern Swedish combo, super atmospheric tunes, real drama, great melodies, excellent players

Out-dated? Sloppy? No way in hell man. There really is nothing sloppy about any of it. Care to point out some of this sloppiness, now that you've made that claim?

Yeah, that EST is quite good as well, but not fantastic.

For contrast, I was inspired to go and purchase all of Hiromi's discography. Can't say the same for EST. ;)

She's pretty loose on your vid, particularly the second half, the tightness of the rhythm exposes this, which is the boring repetitive bit I was moaning about. Anyway, you've gotta admit this is hardly ground breaking stuff, est are far more interesting, imo, as they are pushing the envelope. Doesn't mean you have to prefer est over her, but she doesn't strike me as bringing anything new to the table

MoominPapa wrote: »
    She's pretty loose on your vid, particularly the second half, the tightness of the rhythm exposes this, which is the boring repetitive bit I was moaning about.

Not hearing it man. I don't think she's sloppy at all.
    Anyway, you've gotta admit this is hardly ground breaking stuff, est are far more interesting, imo, as they are pushing the envelope. Doesn't mean you have to prefer est over her, but she doesn't strike me as bringing anything new to the table

No, not entirely ground breaking, I'll certainly admit, but I do think she does bring her own sound to the genre. However, does one really have to be ground breaking in order to be good? Can't you just do something incredibly good? Because I was seriously blown away by her, probably as equally as when I first heard The Mahavishnu Orchestra, and had to rush out and buy some of their albums right way. Now, Mahavishnu were certainly as ground breaking as they come, but that didn't leave me any less impressed with Hiromi.

As far as EST, I can't really agree that they're pushing the envelope either, not seeing what's so ground breaking with them either going by the video you've posted. In fact, I'm actually kinda reminded of Jonas Hellborg/Shawn Lane by the vibe I get from them. I do like them though, and it's a pity that you've set them up in this EST vs. Hiromi situation, because I think they should really be judged on their own, because I was impressed by them, and am currently listening to the video again as I type.

Hiromi is on a typical jazz rock fusion trip, which is fine and she does it well as you say, but est are doing a jazz post rock fusion, to maybe coin a genre. They are making music that sounds very new, to me anyway, and Hiromi isn't. Maybe the comparison isn't completely fair, but I like my 70's music from the 70's and my future music today. I simple don't find her music exciting, but if I caught her live I'm sure I'd have fun

In fairness, it's not entirely 70's orientated.

For example:

Definitely a very different vibe from the first video posted. She can be extremely varied, see the 2nd video I posted too.

As for "Jazz post rock fusion" I'm not even going to comment.

That reminds me of that Buck Rogers in the 25th century episode which featured the top galactic smash Andromeda
    So 70s/very early 80s then but without the funky outfits

Remember kids - Jazz Post Rock Fusion-the music of tomorrow - today

Ugh, now you're just taking the piss.

• Advertisement

Ugh, now you're just taking the piss.

Not entirely ;)

Not entirely ;)

Meh, I'm sure the same comparison could be made with many synthesizer sounds, some of Jordan Rudess's stuff could sound quite Buck Rodgers-esque. I'm sure you'll find some criticism with any video of her's I'd post, so there's not much point in arguing is there? You're pretty damned stuck on a

How's this one for you:

Not very 70's, and no synths either. Not that it's going to please you? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

this can now be the thread that introduced me to hiromi uehara. mind-blowing stuff there. i've also never seen someone so happy to be playing music in my life

Not very 70's, and no synths either. Not that it's going to please you? :p

Now that just reminds me of that episode of Space:1999, you know the one ....
    joking, Much better, I like, I also heartily acknowledge her variety, she is more than simply a 70s jazz-fusion revivalist. I'll check out more, just won't expect to dig all of her stuff
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Now that just reminds me of that episode of Space:1999, you know the one ....
    joking, Much better, I like, I also heartily acknowledge her variety, she is more than simply a 70s jazz-fusion revivalist. I'll check out more, just won't expect to dig all of her stuff
    :)

Victory! :D

Here's a really excellent one, much more atmospheric, and great melodies:

Got 2 of her albums, Another Mind, and Time Control, and I'll be getting the rest of her CD's for Christmas. Been listening to Time Control religiously since then, that's an album I would recommend to everyone.

God damn pity that the first video on this thread has been taken down by youtube. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

<sigh> You guys are all so young.

Let me begin by saying that I thoroughly enjoy BOTH of these artists, Uehara and EST.

But it's all been done before (which is no reason not to enjoy it again!).

In EST I hear vibes of the Paul Winter Consort and Spyro Gyra...perhaps a bit of Brubeck as well.

Uehara conjures up memories of early Jan Hammer, Return to Forever...perhaps a bit of Brubeck as well. :D

Different instrumentation, of course, but the good jazz/jazz-fusion has been around for 50 years, at least.

None of it is "new"....however, it's all "great"! :)

Edit: Amazingly, after poking around, I find a video of Uehara and Chick Corea (Return to Forever) playing together! You've got to have roots.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRU1o-sCnqY

Where do they find all these world-class bassists? Chick, if you remember, had Stanley Clarke. :)

Rustar wrote: »
    <sigh> You guys are all so young.

Pfft. You're just not with it old man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Pfft. You're just not with it old man!

Ahhh, I am old, Grasshoppah, but wise.

Remember,
    33700360985.jpg

Advertisement