Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New legislation re buying contact lenses online

Options
  • 06-11-2007 1:01am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone here noticed the new legislation concerning buying contact lenses online? I just placed an order with VHI and in the confirmation email they said that now I have to send/fax them a copy of my eye prescription dated within the last year.

I only have to have an eye test every 2 years. Why are the government forcing me to pay an extra €30/year just so I can order lenses online??

Unfortunately for companies like Getlenses & VHI, this means the lenses in the shops work out cheaper - what bloody stupid legislation.

Anyone else been affected by this? Or is it just me? :)

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

http://www.visiondirect.com/
    I've been ordering from there for about the last 2 years, reasonably speedy, very cheap, and great selection of lenses. i'm sure they could care less about irish legislation, i dont think they ever even asked me for a prescription!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DublinDan

I've been using http://www.eyepassion.com for a while now with no problems. I think they're Spanish. Much cheaper than the opticians, and never asked for a prescription.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

taconnol wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Unfortunately for companies like Getlenses & VHI, this means the lenses in the shops work out cheaper - what bloody stupid legislation.

Anyone else been affected by this? Or is it just me? :)

T

It still works out much cheaper on VHI IMO.
    An eye test is only 20 euro every 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've been using www.postoptics.com

Again, since they're UK based they don't need a prescription if you're outside the UK. Though obviously you should continue to get your eyes tested regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 rubastar

i always use www.yourlenses.ie very cheap and get them within 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

rubastar wrote: »
    i always use www.yourlenses.ie very cheap and get them within 2 days

Can I just ask, I was checking some 30 day lenses and it says 6 lenses per pack but you have to get a box for the left and a box for the right. Does that mean you end up with 12 lenses? Any pack I've got in the optician has both left and right in the packet, but just give 6 lenses for the same price.

http://www.yourlenses.ie/produkt.php?id=461

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

It's statute that you get your eyes tested once every year if you use contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

BingoBongo wrote: »
    It's statute that you get your eyes tested once every year if you use contacts

Didn't know this.... Which Statute?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I think it's more that they can't sell you lenses (online or otherwise) unless you can show them a prescription dated within the last 12 months.

Of course, if you're buying outside Ireland this doesn't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

I'm totally open to correction on this and I will happily be so corrected, but I'm just wondering if the line that opticians *cannot* sell you contacts without a prescription inside the last 12 months is a legal/regulatory rule, or just a practice that has arisen among those selling contact lenses in the high street?

No doubt about it, annual/biennial eye-tests are obviously a good idea in case your requirements change over time... it's just that (and here the conspiracist in me!...) the opticians I've been to all insist on an eye test that costs precisely 60 euro (coincidence?), and do not waive the fee if you later buy glasses/contact from them. Contributors to this board who have lived abroad may be able to confirm that on the continent, the standard practice is that the shop/optician performing the test will waive the test/professional fee if you actually buy the corrective lenses from them.....

I know I've mixed up the two issues of the requirement for a prescription on one hand and the fees charged by Irish opticians on the other, but they are linked....

Advertisement