Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brock Lesnar's First UFC Opponent Announced

• 06-11-2007 2:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

Brock will be taking on Frank Mir on February 2nd according to UFC.com. That's a big fight for Brock, I think most people were expecting a lesser name for his first fight in the UFC. Frank's a former UFC heavyweight champion, until he had a motorbike accident. He hasn't exactly looked in top form since he returned last year, but with 2 wins and 2 losses since then he's still one of the bigger names around at the moment

Fair play to Brock for taking the fight, I'm looking forward to seeing it! Brock by first round knockout

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I didn't even know he was joining UFC, should be interesting. Let's hope he doesn't try a shooting star press, ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote: »
    Brock will be taking on Frank Mir on February 2nd according to UFC.com.

Frank better get in shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Hah, If Mir trains properly, Brock's gonna get knocked the f*ck out!
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

WOW that is a huge second fight for brock.Mir hasnt exactly been the best since after his crash but he is a dangerous opponent nonetheless.He has really been trying to climb the heavyweight ladder once again.Should be a good fight.
    Do you know when the fight is scheduled for?

Eh it did say Feb 2nd i think ;)
    VR!

• Advertisement

Wow i was shocked when i heard this . I still think Brock will take it. Dana is not stupid and Brock is a potential cash cow for him. Frank is a big name , but he is past it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

This really surprises me. I was certain they'd send him in against a one legged blind man for his first fight, as it is really important that he gets a few wins under his belt. Mir is no push-over by any means. His Ju -Jitsu style should help him counter Lesnar's wrestling, which is not what the new guy will need.
    I have always felt bad for Mir - he was never even beaten for the belt, and never got a title shot after his return. Obviously he hasn't earned it (2 and 2 since coming back), but I've always rooted for him. I won't be doing so on February 2nd - I really want Lesnar to excel in this field.
    I expect Lesnar to beat him, and if he does so, he'll only be maybe one more victory away from a title shot. I just hope he's ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

On Paper Mir has the tools to give Brock a tough night.

Ideally Brock wants it on the ground, where he can pound out a victory......ideally Mir wants it on the ground where he can grab a limb and take it home.

However.....Mir will get tired. From his last number of fights there is no way i can see him keeping up with the pace that Brock will set. Also, while BJJ is undoubtedly a technique game i can see Brock simply powering out of the majority of subs that Frank will go for. If Brock fights clever there is very little that Mir will even be able to get on him on the ground....and Mir will tire.

Stand up, who knows. Nobody has really seen what Brocks standup game is like.....it good be anywhere from mediocre to good, i doubt it will be any higher than that though.

Expect Brock to move through the Heavyweight division like a 240+ pound Sean Sherk.

It's not a bad match up by the UFC. If Mir wins, he's a star and would immediately get a title shot one would assume.

If Lesnar wins, he beats a very notable guy in his UFC debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

It's not a bad match up by the UFC. If Mir wins, he's a star and would immediately get a title shot one would assume.

I doubt it, to be honest. Mir's last fight didn't even make the broadcast. I imagine he is going to need to beat Lesnar and one more guy to get a shot for a belt that he never even lost!

• Advertisement

Mir screwed Mir?
    VR!

Wacker wrote: »
    I doubt it, to be honest. Mir's last fight didn't even make the broadcast. I imagine he is going to need to beat Lesnar and one more guy to get a shot for a belt that he never even lost!

I think in terms of sport, he'd need at least another fight to justify it. In terms of business/entertainment though, I think it would make sense to give him the shot if he beat Lesnar. It would be a very high profile win and would be a star making kind of win

It would be a very high profile win and would be a star making kind of win

Mir would still be a fair bit away from a title shot, even should he get the tap on Brock.

With Randy's position up in the air the next most logical fight would be Big Nog versus Tim Sylvia for the strap should it really be vacant.

Knogo has edged into the picture with his win over CroCop as well. Also should Gonzaga overcome Fabrico Werdum and do so in style he could effectively get himself back in the picture.

Don't take OUR perception of Brock and apply to the title picture. Brock is just a fighter with one fight.....beating him is effectively nothing....which is a shame for Mir.

Dragan wrote: »
    Don't take OUR perception of Brock and apply to the title picture. Brock is just a fighter with one fight.....beating him is effectively nothing....which is a shame for Mir.

I'm not taking our perception. I'm taking the perception of alot of people who are gonna order the show for the sheer fact that he'll be fighting in it.

I'm not taking our perception. I'm taking the perception of alot of people who are gonna order the show for the sheer fact that he'll be fighting in it.

He does have a fair point. A lot of UFC fans tuned to WWE in 97 when Ken Shamrock was appearing in it.

VR!

Indeed, and that will affect PPV buys, but dollars to donuts says a win over Lesnar does **** all for Mir in the title picture....if anything he needs to win this one just to stay in the UFC.

Dragan wrote: »
    but dollars to donuts says a win over Lesnar does **** all for Mir in the title picture.

I disagree.

Advertisement