Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Fireplace

Options
  • 06-11-2007 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Does anybody have any solutions to a large fireplace that constantly smokes when you light the fire?You have to eventually open all doors and windows to let smoke out which of course defeats the whole purpose.Ive been told that the hearth is too big for the chimmney flue.Can I install some sort of stove inside the open space and feed a flue pipe up the chimmney?I'm thinkin a stove that doesn't need plumbing etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not sure, but your chimney draught may be reversed. You can try to correct it by lighting a ball of paper and holding it as far up the chimney as you can reach.

More info here > http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/curing_chimney_problems.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Thommo

thanks a million for that, very useful link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Based on the information from that link... I just found out that my fireplace isn't a fireplace at all, but the surround for a stove.
    I don't have a tapered throat or smoke box and there is standard tiling under the 'quick-fix' gas fire which was installed by the previous owner prior to selling the house. The fireplace opening is 32" high and 22" wide, way too large for the small gas fire in the bottom of it.

If I light the gas fire I could nearly use it as an integrated vacuum system because of the pull. I can't keep heat in the house!

Advertisement