Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points / fine question

Options
  • 06-11-2007 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Can someone advise...

I got a speeding notice, promptly sent off my CC details to pay the fine. However they sent back the form saying they could not accept it as the name I put down was not the same as the name on my driving licence ( I left out my middle name).

My problem is that this letter got lost at the back of a pile of junk mail, by the time I read it, fixed the error and sent it back, they refused to accept it as it was out of the 58 day period. I called and asked them about this and they said that I would be getting a summons.

Is there a way to pay the fine without having to go through the whole court proceeings? Also,will this automatically mean that the two penalty points will now increase to 4?

Jaysus...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,788 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i reckon you are stuck with the summons, but as long as you don't contest (and lose) in court it remains at 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd bring all the letters to court with you and show the judge if asked. Should just get away with the 2 points as you did try and pay and are pleading guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

If you have the proof that you sent the payment but they didn't accepted because of the middle name, you have a chance to get away with minimum penalty.

They must be idiots or just like to be occured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

Play your cards right and you might get away scott free. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Call into the Garda that issued the ticket, explain the situation and if he has any decency in him then the summons wont reach the court !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think the local SuperIntendant has the power to stop something from going to court. Check with the local Gardai and see what they;ve to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

My mum had a similar problem with a parking fine. My brother parked on a double yellow line and didnt know he'd been caught (there was no ticket on the windscreen).
    My uncle then suddenly (at 52) passed away and my mum was left to sort all of his financial and legal work. The fine came in the post at some stage with what seemed like hundreds of letters addressed to my recently deceased uncle and it all got a bit much for her so she avoided the post and never saw the fine...court summons! She attempted to pay by cheque (knowing it was too late) and the cheque was sent back to her.
    A few gardai that she knows spoke to the garda but he refused to drop the court thing and it went to court. The judge got angry at the garda for wasting time! Mum just paid the fine with the same cheque they refused to take.
    Hopefully the penalty points wont increase. Do try to get another garda to speak to your fella (!), cant do any harm. Good luck. :o

Advertisement