Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest *free* P2P Torrent Client?

Options
  • 06-11-2007 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi all,

Before this is deleted or moved Id like to stress Im asking this in relation to downloading legal torrents (yes there are some ;)).

Upto now Ive used Bitlord but lately it seems to be slowing to a halt. Its maxing out at 50mps when my speed limit on the Eircom package I have is 300 down.

Could anyone reccommend a good P2P Torrent Client and give your reasons for choosing so?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's Bittorrent clients people pay for??

The client often has little or nothing to do with the download speeds you'll get via bittorrent, more important factors are the amount of seeds and peers on a particular torrent.

However if you want a new client I recommend Azureus or uTorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Big thumbs down for Azureus, any time I updated it, it'd stop working, plus this rating shíte done my head in, I don't want to share as much as I download :p

I switched to BitLord about a year or so ago, haven't had an issue with it, as Cabaal has said, the speed is more to do with seeds and peers tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

utorrent is a sexy program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

uTorrent without a doubt, light, quick and easy on the CPU - and very customizable.

PS: I'm pretty sure every tracker accepts it. And Azureus is terrible for resources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

utorrent pwnz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

uTorrent, with encryption enabled, works a charm, and it defeats (for now) BT's traffic shaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

i *know* you asked for free..............

........But, get a rapidshare acc between 2/3 of your mates, only a couple of euro a month each, or splash out and drop the 7 euro yourself.... full server d/l speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

full server download speeds wont give you full server download speeds.

you still get a download slot and get a percecntage of available upload from their server.

when using p2p, it doesnt matter what upload speed they have, as you download from multiple sources.

<SNIP>

my total download speed at the time was over 700kb/s.

i dont see you how paying 7 euro a month will guarantee you these types of speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

RoyalMarineComm, best off to edit your post so this thread wont be locked. They dont talk about that sort of thing around here. And its best that threads like these stay unlocked for future similar questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Another vote for utorrent, uses little resources, looks nice, I seem to constantly ged decent speeds, and it comes with Tetris built in!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

Could a Mod edit RoyalMarineComm's post instead of locking this? :)

Thanks for the replies. Im going to give Utorrent a go once the torrents on Bitlord have finished.

A couple of questions:

Has anyone ever paid for Bitlord PRO? It was my reason for asking for a free client. It uses Usenet, but at a price. See here: http://www.usenext.de/index.cfm?sExtToken=bitl&TD=364968 Looks like a con tbh

Should I try Bitlord on to listen on Port 80 while its concluding these torrents and I move onto Utorrent? Is there any risk of Port 80 not working with Eircom if I do?

Same question for Utorrent

Thanks again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've used Bitlord for a long time now, very reliable. Used Azureus before that. Once you have your settings all correct there is probably very little difference between them all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads no discussing downloading copyright material!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

From my experience Azureus sucks donkey balls. I had the same port config with Azureus as Utorrent but was uploading more than I was downloading with Azureus and getting 240KB/s down with 10KB/s up with UTorrent.

Utorrent is the only worthwhile bit torrent program from my limited experience with a few different ones.

Thanks again

Id like to re-ask
    Has anyone ever paid for Bitlord PRO? It was my reason for asking for a free client. It uses Usenet, but at a price. See here: http://www.usenext.de/index.cfm?sExt...bitl&TD=364968 Looks like a con tbh

Should I try Bitlord on to listen on Port 80 while its concluding these torrents and I move onto Utorrent? Is there any risk of Port 80 not working with Eircom if I do?

Same question for Utorrent

cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

uTorrent, with encryption enabled, works a charm, and it defeats (for now) BT's traffic shaping.

Since when has BT been shaping traffic? I use BT and I always get full speeds day and night.

Oh and another thumbs up for uTorrent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm pretty sure Bitlords pay for features for Usenet requires payment because Usenet is a subscription network where you pay for access to files and your pretty much guarenteed to find whatever you want as opposed to torrents which generally become unavailable after a while.

Not sure on the ins and outs but I know some people who swear by usenet although you don't bitlord to use it as far as I know.

I've never used it though so don't take my word for it.

Thanks

Anyone know what the "Port 80" is about in relation to Bitlord/uTorrent and Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

usenet is no more or less subscription than web pages or email.
    It's the NTTP system or Newgroups, instead of Web pages =HTTP (older).
    Binaries really break the concept of how it works. Lots of ISPs provide an NTTP server and just propagate the text only newsgroups.

This one lets you read news: news.f.de.plusline.net
    though you need a logon to post.

I've even run a NTTP server, but I wouldn't carry the binary groups.

I suspect then that Bitlord includes subscription to particular servers.

Thanks

Anyone know what the "Port 80" is about in relation to Bitlord/uTorrent and Eircom?

Anyone? ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone? ;)

The port your web browser uses and thus the least likely eircom is to shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Probably better off not using 80. Eircom shaping torrents? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if they can identify it they will probably throttle it. that's the whole point of using the encrypted transport option in Azureus and utorrent and picking a random port to use instead of the default ones. but having said that 100 simultaneous connections on port 32564 (or whatever) on a home internet connection isn't likely to be anything else.

i don't know why Az is getting such a bad rep. fair enough there were some problems with it previously, but they were due to problems with java in windows. i've used a more recent version of java on a windows box and had no problems with Az at all for a very long time and certainly not any problems with download speeds either.

I'm using Az on Ubuntu Linux now and it gets 2 thumbs up for speed & stability (not sure how much of that is linux related tho). one of the handiest features is the WebUI plugin that allows me to add, start, stop & remove torrents on my PC remotely through a web interface without any kind of lag (very low bandwidth needed to load the pages). I used to start torrents off at home via logmein from my work PC but the bandwidth needed to make it work comfortably was more than would be available mid-torrent. now i don't have to because the WebUI has such small bandwidth requirements by comparison. dead handy and you can add that to a random port too and password protect the page to keep prying eyes out of your stuff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

The port your web browser uses and thus the least likely eircom is to shape.

port 80 is not blocked by eircom. i host a web server off eircom bb

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

towel401 wrote: »
    if any ISP blocked port 80 you wouldn't be posting this here, not would i for that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Cremo wrote: »
    if any ISP blocked port 80 you wouldn't be posting this here, not would i for that fact.

ehh yes you could. Port 80 is a listening port used by web servers for sending data after requests. Infact, a lot of ISPs block port 80 to stop people hosting websites on their machines.

towel401 wrote: »

You obviously don't understand the context...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ugh sorry about my post. didnt realise what i was saying.

appoligies.

• Advertisement

I changed to Port 80 on Bitlord with no noticable increase in speeds. Think I'll un-install it and give uTorrent a whirl :)

Advertisement