Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water hammer?

Options
  • 06-11-2007 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

When I shut off the hot tap (either kitchen or bathroom) I can hear a clunking noise from the piping inside the wall. It only happens when either tap is shut off fairly sharply from being fully open.

My plumber looked at this a while ago and reckoned it was the mixer tap in the kitchen. There is definitely a noise that happens with this tap when you shut it off and the Panelling Centre replaced it without quibble (credit where due) but this hasn't fixed the problem and I'm not convinced it was the tap after all. I reckon that noise in the tap might be more sypmtom than cause.

Could this be water hammer and would an arrester or whatever it's called fix the problem?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Water hammer can either be very short or drawn out over 30 seconds or so.
    The newer type taps which have a quarter-turn design (from the off to full-on position) are more susceptible due to the speed of closure of the valve. An arrester which acts like a damper or spring would reduce the knock and reduce the possibility of damage on the system.

Advertisement