Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell XPS and RAM Question...

• 06-11-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Thinking of purchasing the XPS M1330, however I'm debating whether to go for the 2gb or 4gb of RAM option. I could do with the 4gb of RAM but there is a whopping €310 in the difference which I don't think I can justify (I doubt Dell can either!)

Anyway, I'm wondering can I upgrade the RAM in a couple of months time if I want to, (eg 2gb to 4gb) using a different company? Would there be any conflict there? As in, do Dell only allow upgrades using their own products? Are the chip sizes usually universal? Any help appreciated! Cheerz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Dell always screws the customer on RAM prices are they have a ridiculous mark up. Buy 2 x 1GB sticks in the laptop itself then further down the line you can upgrade to 2 x 2gb sticks. Goto Memoryconfigurator.com when the time comes and buy the ram from there.
    Edit: Out of interest why do you think you need 4gb Ram?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cuz 4gb if RAM is better for gaming. I have the M1710, has 2gb, but i wouldn't mind 4... This thing cost me €2200 in May. If you really want a gaming computer, i'd try and get the desktop XPS for the same price, way better. But if you need the laptop...

Cuz 4gb if RAM is better for gaming.
    How do you figure that?
    I would imagine 2 GB of Ram is more than adequate for gaming as long as you have the power in the graphics card department to back it up. If your using XP it wont even allow you to use the 4GB total (unless 64 bit edition) as it wont recognise all of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Gaming wouldn't be a reason why I'd be thinking about 4GB. The laptop would be mostly used for high-end CAD programs and Photoshop applications. I'd need to have a few graphics orientated programs open at the same time, along with web browsers, email applications, etc.

I'm obviously going for the best CPU, processor and graphics card I can but I'd need to be sure the 2GB RAM can handle everything without an obvious slow-down in performance. Do ye reckon the 2gigs would be sufficient? I'd really have to be able to justify shelling out for the extra 2 gigs

With the new games coming out that need rediculous ammounts of power when the "action" ensues, the developers are using alot more RAM for different things. According to some techy website, the graphics card in my laptop is in the top 3 at the moment, apparently well able to cope with any new game coming out, but i sometimes get lag in the heat of the action due to having 2g of RAM. Now, i'm not saying that this is fact, but i apparently have everything else for the games to run adequately.

Plus, when you'll be using the likes of CAD programs and photoshop together, plus whatever else you're running, the more RAM the better. Allows you to do more.

• Advertisement

I'd buy it with the 2GB in it and upgrade as needed, especially if its going to cost less than €330 buying it direct from dell.
    I figured it would be some kind of autocad work but in fairness the XPS M1330 is not an ideal machine for that kind of task. You should be looking at the Dell Precision laptops if its hardcore CAD work your doing.

majiktripp wrote: »
    I'd buy it with the 2GB in it and upgrade as needed, especially if its going to cost less than €330 buying it direct from dell.
    I figured it would be some kind of autocad work but in fairness the XPS M1330 is not an ideal machine for that kind of task. You should be looking at the Dell Precision laptops if its hardcore CAD work your doing.

I need something VERY mobile and relatively powerful and the XPS seems to fit that niche. I was looking at the Precision stuff but if I can get high performance in as small and lightweight a package as possible, then I reckon the XPS is the best Dell can offer and...to be honest, it shouldn't make a difference but it looks damn sexy! :D Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!

Oh, and not that it really matters, but the XPS comes with the 16 interchangable lights on the front, side and cover. Cool addition really, but completely pointless...

Not on the 1330 , only from XPS M170 to XPS M1710 have the ability to change lights, I have the M170 its a nice gimmick all the same!

Oh, and not that it really matters, but the XPS comes with the 16 interchangable lights on the front, side and cover. Cool addition really, but completely pointless...

I saw that alright. If I didn't stop smoking weed a few years back I might actually be impressed with that feature! ;) I'm pretty sure the 1330 doesn't have the disco effect though

• Advertisement

Ah they should have it on all XPSeseseses. Stoopid dell...

Oh...meant to add...I notice that there are quite a few of these available on Ebay. Apart from the obvious problems with Dell after-sales support and/or warranty issues, is there any other reason I should run a mile from these auctions? Has anyone bought a laptop from Ebay? Am I being unreasonably cynical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

Dell have a new 14.1" Precision notebook coming soon - the M2300, apparently comes in under 2kg.

Obelisk29 wrote: »
    Dell have a new 14.1" Precision notebook coming soon - the M2300, apparently comes in under 2kg.

Its actually released today in the states, can't see any news of it on their website though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

@ Bass Cadet - Don't buy a ram upgrade off dell. You can get 4GBs off shop4memory.ie for around €220. This ram will most likely be better than the stuff dell is going to be using. This also leaves you with 2GBs of ram which you can sell on adverts or ebay to get an extra few bob.
    Cuz 4gb if RAM is better for gaming. I have the M1710, has 2gb, but i wouldn't mind 4...

4GBs isn't going to make much of a difference to gaming. If you are gaming you should mainly be looking at the graphics card. This will make the biggest difference. The extra ram should help load time but shouldn't affect the fps much.

Advertisement