Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a real man's thread

• 06-11-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, with all the pseudo-metrosexual nonsense that has been going on around here lately, I have decided to counter it with a proper Real Man's Thread(tm).

Given that food is our second love (after beer, of course), I would like to solicit from you the best sandwich you ever made. Not bought, not handed to you by your subservient wimmins, a sandwich you actually made. And savoured. And subsequently devoured.

I will start the ball rolling with the Tom Dunne Breakfast special:

Toast, upon which lies a slice or two of cheese, followed by a couple of rashers, upon which lies not one, but two fried eggs, cleverly disguised with another helping of cheese and topped off with yet another slice of toast.

This is one sandwich I actually devour most Saturday mornings. Yum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Never ate it but have made it for others:

Toast a crusty bread roll and thickly butter it, put lettus on it (not for substance, just to stop the butter melting to soon) fry a 3 ounce steak and slap it on then garnish with fried tomatoes and mushrooms, drape cheese over that and follow with a dippy fried egg and fried onions over that, another peice of cheese to hold it all on and the piesta resistance is mix ketchup, mustard and mayo and spread over the top and it's apparently yummy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

My Saturday morning favourite is the good old bacon and egg sandwich. Two slices of white bread generously buttered, with three slices of bacon dripping with hot oil and one fried egg with a runny yolk. Garnish with HP sauce. x 2

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

White toast, butter, lashings of chilli con carne, and 2 eggs.

Breakfast of the gods :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ah ye bunch of f**king bastards !!! :mad:

I'm f**king starving now after reading this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Wholegrain brown bread (fibre & ballast)
    Kerrygold
    Lasagne

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

my best effort involves copious amounts of meat.
    start with thick batch loaf smothered in butter.then get a slice of gammon then turkey stuffing gammon ketchup then loaf. its about 8 inches thick if made properly and hurts your jaw but my god its worth it.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

"Saturday night fare", when the LCD projo is on with a fave DVD:

Half baguette, split in half lenghtways, then put in -
    * generous dollops of mayo,
    * prime burger cut in half lengthways,
    * matchstick chips,
    * some grated or sliced aged emmental.
    * some leaves,
    * optionally, add some finely chopped of thinly sliced red onion

Double the portions for a full baguette (thats "Saturday night fare" in Winter :D)

Best accompanied with an ice-cold Stella. Ask for it by name in France as a sandwich 'Americain' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

trout wrote: »
    Kerrygold
    Lasagne

Most intriguing, Brother Trout. Pa Trout would have been proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Kerrygold
    Lasagne

That is all.

Excellent choice. Have to remember this!

My breakfast sandwich:

Slice of toasted brown bread, butter, white pudding spread out, two rashers, one fried or poached egg (has to be runny), two sliced sausages, cheese (Emmentaler, Leerdammer or Edammer), black pudding spread out, ketchup, butter, another slice of toasted brown bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Fried egg
    Two Sausages
    Two Rashers
    Two slices of white pudding
    Fried onions
    YR Sauce

On Batch natch ! Slow Motions hangover munchies cure all !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Kazobel wrote: »
    Never ate it but have made it for others:

Toast a crusty bread roll and thickly butter it, put lettus on it (not for substance, just to stop the butter melting to soon) fry a 3 ounce steak and slap it on then garnish with fried tomatoes and mushrooms, drape cheese over that and follow with a dippy fried egg and fried onions over that, another peice of cheese to hold it all on and the piesta resistance is mix ketchup, mustard and mayo and spread over the top and it's apparently yummy :D

3 ounce steak :confused:

drape :confused::confused: Why would you put curtains on a sandwhich.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    3 ounce steak :confused:.

It's a sambo not a meal, if it was any bigger where would you have room to fit the afternoon beers and full pot roast meal for dinner? ;)

The-Rigger wrote: »
    drape :confused::confused: Why would you put curtains on a sandwhich.

sorry, girl talk :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

My personal favourite is the Christmas leftover special in this house. Ould Mr Brennan's finest, lots of mayo, turkey, 2 kinds of stuffing (one of which is made from sausage meat) and Tayto cheese'n'onion.

Robbo wrote: »
    My personal favourite is the Christmas leftover special in this house. Ould Mr Brennan's finest, lots of mayo, turkey, 2 kinds of stuffing (one of which is made from sausage meat) and Tayto cheese'n'onion.

You can't beat sausage stuffing. Mrs. Preusse-to-be and her mother make the best sausage stuffing. Fighting ensues every Christmas but to no avail as my good self has usually snatched the best bits. When it comes to food I don't know friend nor foe....they are all after the same....my sustenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

It stood like this:

slice white bread
    butter
    chef red sause
    stuffing
    2 rashers
    chicken breast
    white pudding
    chef red sause
    butter
    slice white bread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Take the black heel of a warm batch loaf and butter it well.

Butter two full slices of batch loaf. Spoon on Batchelors baked beans onto one slice until they are falling off the sides of the bread. Sprinkle lavishly with grated cheddar and pop under the grill for a minute or two, this stops the baked beans sliding off. Add two Granby burgers and two onion rings. Garnish with brown or red sauce to taste. Add the second slice of batch bread. Give it a bit of a squeeze to hold it all together and cut into two sambos. Dip sambos in a large bowl of stew.

That'll stick to your ribs.

Oh yeah, the heel at the start was to eat while you were making the sambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

This is BGRH isnt it? way too much effort in all of the above.

Slice White bread
    butter (optional)
    Chipsticks
    butter (optional)
    Slice White bread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm with the leftover christmas dinner on this.Fry the turkey,ham and stuffing,make toast,wrap and eat.
    I also make a good corned beef hash..here's how.
    Cook some spuds and set aside.
    fry some onions,season and add the chopped up potatoes.Fry gently till brown.Add one large tin of corned beef and break it up with a fork.You can also chop a tomatoe and add that too.Cook the hash for about 15 minutes,ensuring that it dosnt stick to the pan or burn.Serve with two runny fried eggs on top.

Excuse me, but I just noticed some of the ingredients in some of the recipes.

Here:
    ...put lettus (sic) on it...with fried tomatoes...and fried onions over that...

and here:
    * some leaves,
    * optionally, add some finely chopped of thinly sliced red onion

also here:
    Fried onions

and finally here:
    You can also chop a tomatoe and add that too.

This is disgraceful!

On the other hand: Which 'greens' shudder are acceptable? I think Potatoes in the form of mash and chips, onions for the extra gas and tomatoe in the form of ketchup are ok but maybe I am wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Starting from the bottom up:

- Slice of wholemeal bread
    - Mayo
    - 3 rashers
    - Ballymaloe Country Relish
    - Thinly sliced tomato
    - Slice of white bread
    - More Mayo
    - A fried egg
    - Slices of cheese (brie or mild cheddar)
    - Chopped spring onion
    - Black pepper
    - Final layer of Mayo
    - Another slice of wholemeal bread to go on top.

Consume with beer and salt'n'vinegar Hunky Dorys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Preusse wrote: »

They are merely there to prevent scurvy, which would very much impede on our ability to consume unprocessed meat.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

cornbb wrote: »
    They are merely there to prevent scurvy, which would very much impede on our ability to consume unprocessed meat.

Does this look like the science forum? Away with you and your crazy talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

tom dunne wrote: »
    Given that food is our second love (after beer, of course), I would like to solicit from you the best sandwich you ever made. Not bought, not handed to you by your subservient wimmins, a sandwich you actually made. And savoured. And subsequently devoured.

Made?? Too much effort. Heres a tasty treat in 3 easy steps with no making:

1. Pick bread up in right hand
    2. Pick butter up in left hand. (Kerrygold in the foil or similar)
    3. Bite a lump outta each and enjoy.

Too much effort? Drop step 1. or step 2.

Here:

and here:

also here:

and finally here:

This is disgraceful!

On the other hand: Which 'greens' shudder are acceptable? I think Potatoes in the form of mash and chips, onions for the extra gas and tomatoe in the form of ketchup are ok but maybe I am wrong?

Take it to the Acceptable Vegetable thread bitch! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Green Thai Curry is acceptable after that greens are on thin ice.

Take it to the Acceptable Vegetable thread bitch! :D

Unbelievable, she knows more about the BGRH thread than I thought. :eek:

Unbelievable, she knows more about the BGRH thread than I thought. :eek:

Well I do post here alot and shock, horror I can actually read too, next thing you know we'll be burning bras and wanting to vote :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

One of two:
    Toast
    Cheese
    Toast
    Cheese
    Chips
    Cheese
    Toast
    Cheese

(also works with bread)

Second:
    Bread
    Stuffing
    Chicken
    Sliced roast spud
    Gravy
    Bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Two slices of batch
    Butter
    Large dollop of mince stew
    White pepper
    Salt
    Lashings of worcestershire sauce

• Advertisement

If you're putting mince in it, then its freshly made spicy mince, and a wrap (or 5, depends on your appitite), covered with sauce and cheese

You can also use pitta bread for this

Well I do post here alot and shock, horror I can actually read too, next thing you know we'll be burning bras and wanting to vote :D:D

Down with that sort of thing!

I vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Some excellent suggestions here people...though some are a little ... elaborate.

Now that I think about it ... pretty much any meal can become a sandwich, and the essence of a BGRH sandwich should be simplicity itself.

Aside from the lasagne sandwich, the stew sandwich, the coddle sandwich and the sunday roast leftovers sandwich, there is also the ever popular Chicken Curry sandwich.

Some years ago, mrs trout decided I should be on a "diet" and purchased a shed load of frozen Wei**t Wat**ers Chicken Curry... ostensibly to last several weeks.

Leeds were still in the Champions League in those days, and after a particularly heavy night in watching the footy, my good buddy and I microwaved 6 of these frozen delicacies, and proceeded to make a serious amount of surprisingly tasty sandwiches ... made even more delicious by the irony of what we were pigging out on.

Great days. Great days indeed.

Leeds were still in the Champions League in those days, and after a particularly heavy night in watching the footy, my good buddy and I microwaved 6 of these frozen delicacies, and proceeded to make a serious amount of surprisingly tasty sandwiches ... made even more delicious by the irony of what we were pigging out on.

Great days. Great days indeed.

A legend, Brother Trout, you are a legend.

The irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Spag Bol sandwich is one of my favourites, also agree with brother Trout on the chicken curry sambo. It's my breakfast every saturday morning but you have to add some chef brown sauce to the mix.
    Favourite though was my 'special breakfast John Rambo', when i lived in Sydney. I even made it for a few mates from football one morning cause they heard so much about it.

-French Roll (cause there is no such thing as nice bread in Australia) still warm
    -Hapes of butter
    -2 Pork Sausages(Important distinction to make in OZ cause they often use beef sausies!)
    -2 Rashers
    -2 Fried Eggs (runny as fcuk)
    -2 Slices of white pudding, mashed up and mixed in to the other ingredients.

My dear g-friend often tried to eat the 'special breakfast John Rambo' but predictably she never managed to complete it, so i usually go to polish of the remains of her's as well.

Warning: It is not advised that the above item is eaten less than 5 hours before playing a football game, especially not when its 30deg outside. It will result in you (by this i mean me..) blowing chunks all over your boots and some splashback on the guy who was marking you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Degsy wrote: »
    I also make a good corned beef hash..here's how.
    Cook some spuds and set aside.
    fry some onions,season and add the chopped up potatoes.Fry gently till brown.Add one large tin of corned beef and break it up with a fork.You can also chop a tomatoe and add that too.Cook the hash for about 15 minutes,ensuring that it dosnt stick to the pan or burn.Serve with two runny fried eggs on top.

You lost me after cook !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ibh wrote: »
    (Important distinction to make in OZ cause they often use beef sausies!)
    Yeah, and their bleedin' delish.

I wish they were more readily available here in Ireland.

DesF wrote: »
    Yeah, and their bleedin' delish.

I wish they were more readily available here in Ireland.

Yea i think they were what most people ate over there. Maybe due to the large Lebo community.

I used to go to a cafe everyday for lunch and the English guy who owned it would always make my sambo with pork sausage. He also used to offer me brown sauce from his private stash (que double entendres!!), but it was HP and i'm a Chef man..:D

ibh wrote: »
    (que double entendres!!)

I have taught you well, young padawan. Now continue the English lessons.

tom dunne wrote: »
    I have taught you well, young padawan. Now continue the English lessons.

Danke sch... Oh i mean, Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

A sandwich I make for myself that I really enjoy:

White bread
    Butter
    Cheese,
    Potato Waffle
    Two rashers
    Sausage
    Fried egg

A simple pleasure but one so tasty!

If I don't have the time for all of that then a Chesse sandwich with cheese and onion crisps on top, with some YR sauce!

Advertisement